• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Spot reduction ..... is possible?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Aerobic exercise increases whole body adipose tissue lipolysis, but is lipolysis higher in subcutaneous adipose tissue (SCAT) adjacent to contracting muscles than in SCAT adjacent to resting muscles? Ten healthy, overnight-fasted males performed one-legged knee extension exercise at 25% of maximal workload (W(max)) for 30 min followed by exercise at 55% W(max) for 120 min with the other leg and finally exercised at 85% W(max) for 30 min with the first leg. Subjects rested for 30 min between exercise periods. Femoral SCAT blood flow was estimated from washout of (133)Xe, and lipolysis was calculated from femoral SCAT interstitial and arterial glycerol concentrations and blood flow. In general, blood flow and lipolysis were higher in femoral SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle (time 15-30 min; blood flow: 25% W(max) 6.6 +/- 1.0 vs. 3.9 +/- 0.8 ml x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P < 0.05; 55% W(max) 7.3 +/- 0.6 vs. 5.0 +/- 0.6 ml x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P < 0.05; 85% W(max) 6.6 +/- 1.3 vs. 5.9 +/- 0.7 ml x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P > 0.05; lipolysis: 25% W(max) 102 +/- 19 vs. 55 +/- 14 nmol x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P = 0.06; 55% W(max) 86 +/- 11 vs. 50 +/- 20 nmol x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P > 0.05; 85% W(max) 88 +/- 31 vs. -9 +/- 25 nmol x 100 g(-1) x min(-1), P < 0.05). In conclusion, blood flow and lipolysis are generally higher in SCAT adjacent to contracting than adjacent to resting muscle irrespective of exercise intensity. Thus specific exercises can induce "spot lipolysis" in adipose tissue.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Did I post this one previously or one similar?

Either way I went and dug up the references that were originally used to say that spot reduction was a myth. Turns out they were done on tennis player forearms (1960 or 70 something) and were skin fold measures. Not exactly conclusive.

I think the last discussion was you, me and JornT discussing what the likelyhood of it all is. Mobilisation at the localised level yes, but does that mean that you are more or less likely to store fat at that location? Will exercising that area lead to any reduction of fat there long term? Sounds like it would make sense as long as overall fat levels are not high, yes/no?

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I always thought that spot reduction existed, but not as dramatically as it's name indicates. I always thought exercised tissue was less likely to store fat and be biologically inclined towards storing fat. But that's just what I thought with no medical evidence to back me up. And I never argued against people who said spot reduction was false, since I had not evidence. Maybe this will change some peoples mind.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Did I post this one previously or one similar?

Either way I went and dug up the references that were originally used to say that spot reduction was a myth. Turns out they were done on tennis player forearms (1960 or 70 something) and were skin fold measures. Not exactly conclusive.

I think the last discussion was you, me and JornT discussing what the likelyhood of it all is. Mobilisation at the localised level yes, but does that mean that you are more or less likely to store fat at that location? Will exercising that area lead to any reduction of fat there long term? Sounds like it would make sense as long as overall fat levels are not high, yes/no?

I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. I have some thoughts, but it's difficult to quantify. Some of it might be intensity dependent, by the subsequent signaling. For example, many endurance athletes have little pot bellies. It's also been shown before that intramuscular triglyceride (IMTG) levels are higher in athletes. Why? Because it allows more efficient mobilization and oxidation for energy.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'll dig around and see what I can come up with. I have some thoughts, but it's difficult to quantify. Some of it might be intensity dependent, by the subsequent signaling. For example, many endurance athletes have little pot bellies. It's also been shown before that intramuscular triglyceride (IMTG) levels are higher in athletes. Why? Because it allows more efficient mobilization and oxidation for energy.

Could catecholamine play a role in this? catecholamines stimulate lipolysis but that doesnt explains spot reduction. Ive always thought that there is no link between the muslces being used in the exercise and the fat cells above that muscle group.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Reply from Michael Jensen, probably the top lipid researcher in the world.

My understanding is that the only meaningful local increase in lipolysis induced by exercise is intramyocellular TG to provide fatty acids to the muscle cell for energy it needs beyond what it can get from the circulation. The paper you cited used a very imprecise measure of lipolysis and I would hesitate to hang my hat on their conclusions. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to "spot" reduce using exercise alone, although one can tone up muscles regionally to give the appearance of spot reducing.
Michael D Jensen, MD

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Meant to reply a while ago to this (stupid server). I reread the entire paper and the old spot reduction paper (tennis one). The old one had several correspondance letters in the following edition that were contending the conclusions were confusing correlation and causation. This one may be doing the same from what Jensen has said. It doesn't really make sense to mobilise local fat stores for energy and not try to keep/replenish fat stores there for the next time they are needed.

Either way IS :tiphat:

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It doesn't really make sense to mobilise local fat stores for energy and not try to keep/replenish fat stores there for the next time they are needed.

good point never thought of it that way