• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Thoughts needed

juoum

juoum

Whats up iron brothers. . .
So the time to made some changes in my training program as come, and i was going over a new split and came across a doubt. That being, what do u guys think of spliting the back into 2 diferent workouts?
Something like this monday: barbel rows 4 sets
tbar rows 3 sets
deadlifts 3 sets
cable rows 4 sets
and on thursday: chins 4 sets
front pulldowns 4 sets
back pulldows 4 sets

what do you guys think?is this ok, or too much?

thank you

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
splitting the back into two sessions, one for width and one for thickness is a good idea, especially if u consider back a weakpoint. that being said, i think ure being excessive in regards to the amount of sets and exercises ur doing. thats a total of 26 sets there, and although the back is large and complex, i dont think it needs all that, it will compromise ur recovery, and i suspect u wouldnt be able to stick with it in the long haul. i would go with either t bar or barbell rows, instead of both, also cable rows are not a massbuilder, 2 sets there is plenty. as far as ur exercises for width, i would take out the behind the neck pulldowns, and rather do either overhand or underhand chins, if u do overhand, go for underhand grip pulldowns and vice versa. oh and i would also do more than 3 sets of deadlifts, ive just discovered how valuable they are.

infact, lately ive been doing deads on their own separate days with arms, how about doing that? and then go for an all out back assault on its own day with rows and pulldowns.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ very insightful bulkman.

I don't really think there's a need. I tried this approach and it worked alright, not much different than an average back regime. Up to you though!

Also definitely use the search feature, there's a thread previous to this one and it's more along the lines the same question.

Good luck bro!

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why must we complicate things? Do just simply do back one day and give yourself a rest day after legs and after back.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't see the need to split it in two days. Give it time to rest, even though your doing different types of movements (rows and pulldowns) your still essentially using the same muscles. Just stick to the basics: Deads, BB rows (over or under hand) and then throw in different types of chins, pull downs, and other types of rows as needed. I change up my workout every week or so but I always incorporate the basic exercises. You need to realize that you don't have to get in every "angle" or exercise in a given week. Maximize the stimulation from the movements you pick (I usually pick 4 and that includes deads) and that should be enough.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Everything that has needed saying has been said, but I will reiterate the point Bulky made. Move deads to top priority for back development, they are the supreme movement in this regard.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whats up iron brothers. . .
So the time to made some changes in my training program as come, and i was going over a new split and came across a doubt. That being, what do u guys think of spliting the back into 2 diferent workouts?
Something like this monday: barbel rows 4 sets
tbar rows 3 sets
deadlifts 3 sets
cable rows 4 sets
and on thursday: chins 4 sets
front pulldowns 4 sets
back pulldows 4 sets

what do you guys think?is this ok, or too much?

thank you
Two sessions is good for more frequency. Your primary movers are the same in all of those exercises, the only real differences come in the vertical and horzontal motions.

BB rows, t-bar rows, back pulldowns are all pretty ordinary exercises. BB and T bar place you lower back under far too much load considering the general lack of back recruitment. Lots of people will disagree on these as they are "the mass builders", but they also will be the guys with back pain and slipped disks. Even from the point of view of isolation or targeting of the right muscles and correct form prone rows piss all over these two. Try and use 80% of the weight you use on a BB row on a prone row and you will be doing well. Pulldowns behind the neck can be performed correctly (I'm yet to see it done) but they are shit muscle recruiters in comparison to front pulldowns.

I agree that cable rows are not really a mass builder as it is hard to find a row with enough weight on it to hit really heavy weights.

I don't see the point of doing pulldowns when you do chins unless you do chinups like a girl (1-2 reps for 1 or 2 sets). Chins are enough without replicating the movement with an inferior exercise.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I don't get the need to split back training up into two different sessions; one for width and the other for thickness. You don't just specifically have an exercise that just works one part of your back. For example, a chin up doesn't just help build your upper lats and makes your lats wider but it also thickens them up along their complete line of insertion.

IMO seen as though the back is such a big muscle group i would train it on one day of the week and make sure the next day is a rest day or a smaller session of say chest and biceps. Ive stated in another thread what exercises i would use. But i'll say again.
1) Pulldowns or chins
2) Barbell rows
3) Seated cable row
4) Deadlifts

The above will hit every area of your back and is very basic. Dont go too over board with the sets because it sounds like a lot. You don't need a lot of sets IMO (In fact i just do one :spy) But just do a couple of warm up sets and mabe two sets to failure max. :tiphat:

juoum

juoum

thank you all for the valious information.
I will not split my back into 2diferent workouts, i might do like this. . .
on wednesday i hit may back with chins 4 sets
barbell rows 3 sets
dumbell rows 3 sets
cable rows 2 sets
or could i replace the cable rows with some other exercise?

and,following bulkie advice on friday on the end of chest ill hit some deads. . .

and now?how im doing?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You could probably lose the cable rows altogether, you have more than enough rowing movements. Maybe hit some wide pullups after the chins if anything.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
curtisymoo

curtisymoo

what is that the one david henry used in his olympia series episode, just seated but leaning all the way forward the entire time?
like, the name of it

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thank you all for the valious information.
I will not split my back into 2diferent workouts, i might do like this. . .
on wednesday i hit may back with chins 4 sets
barbell rows 3 sets
dumbell rows 3 sets
cable rows 2 sets
or could i replace the cable rows with some other exercise?

and,following bulkie advice on friday on the end of chest ill hit some deads. . .

and now?how im doing?

that looks great, just remember, if u do the barbell rows overhand, do the cable underhand or with a v- bar. and ye, deads after chest sounds good, just hit up 3-5 good effort sets with good form and low reps. i prefer 2-6 reps for deads. that oughta thicken and tie everything up real nice back there:xyxthumbs:

EDIT: one thing though, i would move ur back day to either monday or tuesday, that way ur lower back gets more rest before deadlifts. if u do back on wednesday and deads on friday u only get thursday to recover, i would spread it out alittle more. this also depends when u do legs. squats takes its toll on ur lower back as well. i would do back on monday, legs on wednesday and then deads on friday. that way u get the whole weekend to rest up ur lower back after deadlifts.