• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dexter Jackson topples Jay Cutler to win the Mr. Olympia

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
finally.jpg

by Allan Donnelly

September 27, 2008

FLEXONLINE.COM

(Figure Olympia Finals Report Below - Gates Wins!

The 2008 Mr. Olympia will be remembered as much for its competitiveness as it will for its unpredictably. Late Saturday night, with the placings of the contest's 17 other competitors already decided, two men walked to center stage of The Orleans Arena: one who had been there many times before, and one who until this year never imagined he would. And in the end, after 10 years and 47 contests, Dexter Jackson finally rose to the top of the sport by toppling two-time and reigning champion Jay Cutler on the way to the biggest win of his career.

"I was praying," Jackson said. "I was undecided on if I would actually win tonight. I knew I deserved to win but I didn't think I would. This sport is full of surprises. I'm just in shock right now. I've been dreaming about this moment since I started bodybuilding," Jackson said. "I never thought it would happen."

The win was the fourth of the year for the 39-year-old Jackson who, unbelievably, continues to get better with age. Jackson began the year by winning the third Arnold Classic of his career in his best-ever form, and the improvement he displayed after years of consistently good (and sometimes great) performances elevated him to a new level and marked him as a legitimate threat to challenge Cutler in Las Vegas.

And although the 235-pound Jackson gave up roughly 30 pounds to Cutler at the Friday prejudging, Jackson's superior conditioning and aesthetics were rewarded over Cutler's sheer size. On the final scorecards, the two were separated by seven points.

Cutler entered the Olympia threatening to match the level he reached at the Olympia in 2001, when he lost a controversial decision to Ronnie Coleman. By all accounts leading up to the show, he was on track to match that performance. But he took the stage at the Friday prejudging inexplicably flat, and carrying enough water to leave the door open for someone to step in and steal his crown. Feeling the heat, Cutler took his preparation to a new level, dropping 10 pounds before taking the stage on Saturday night. And while he looked vastly improved from Friday, Jackson's lead was too much to overcome.

"I feel a little sad but I have to be happy for Dexter because I know what it's like to win," Cutler said. "He didn't believe he could win when we were standing there. You win some you lose some. He looked better than me last night and I obviously had too much ground to cover tonight. It makes the Olympia a little more interesting, we've had those years where its the same guys winning all the time, it just sucks that I have to be the guy who gets defeated so quickly. But that's what makes me who I am." Although the Jackson-Cutler matchup grabbed the headlines, it was not the only story line that developed over the two-day contest. Nearly each of the top eight hit the mark, making it one of the most competitive Olympias in recent memory. And, standing at the forefront of that pack was Olympia rookie Phil Heath. Heath, who pushed Jackson at the Arnold in March, took his physique to the next level in Las Vegas and established himself - for now - as the best of the new breed. The 28-year-old Heath finished third - the highest finish for an Olympia rookie since 29-year-old Dorian Yates placed second to Lee Haney in 1991. Heath also came out on top in the much anticipated first matchup versus 29-year-old Dennis Wolf and gained the upper hand in a rivalry that will define the sport for years to come.

Wolf, who entered the contest being mentioned by some as the main threat to Cutler's three-peat, did not make the impact he was expected to. Despite finishing fourth, the German lacked both the conditioning and - incredibly - the overwhelming size he displayed when bursting onto the scene with his fifth-place finish a year ago.

Toney Freeman's fifth-place finish was greeted with the loudest boos from the audience. Freeman managed to at least match his conditioning and size from the 2007 Ironman, widely regarded as his best-ever showing.

Melvin Anthony made the final posedown for the third consecutive year, placing sixth for the second straight Olympia.

Mr. Olympia Final Results
1. Dexter Jackson
2. Jay Cutler
3. Phil Heath
4. Dennis Wolf
5. Toney Freeman
6. Melvin Anthony
7. Silvio Samuel
8. Dennis James
9. Mo Elmoussawi
10. Gustavo Badell
11. Darrem Charles
12. Johnnie Jackson
13. Craig Richardson
14. Ronny Rockel
15. David Henry
16. Kevin English
17T. Fouad Abiad
17T. Sergey Shelestov
17T. Leo Ingram

cuts

cuts

Banned
okie i want say this i really hated jay physique but i admire his personality, i feel sorry for him, he is still a champ. to me and i respect him now more than ever.

ruel

ruel

the mass era has ended.. congrats dex.. even i want mamoth size bodybuilders...

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
awesome just awesome. dexter as mr o is awesome.

Bhana

Bhana

I feel bad for tony:uhoh2: Congrats to Dex

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jay really is a class act. Talk about being honorable in defeat.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Fucking ace. I can't believe I missed it. Congrats to all of them.

*Cough* Jay should have been 4th or 5th *cough*

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
The 28-year-old Heath finished third - the highest finish for an Olympia rookie since 29-year-old Dorian Yates placed second to Lee Haney in 1991

Kevin Levrone at 24 years old took 2nd place in 1992 Mr O and Flex Wheeler in 1993 Olympia was 28 and took 2nd place as well, behind Dorian Yates.

also Rich Gaspari took 3rd place in 1985 at only 22 years old.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
^^How many pro shows did Kevin, Flex and Rich do before they competed in the O? Because it's on about rookie's. Meaning like there 3rd pro show or summat. The 1991 Mr O was Dorians 3rd pro show.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kevin Levrone at 24 years old took 2nd place in 1992 Mr O and Flex Wheeler in 1993 Olympia was 28 and took 2nd place as well, behind Dorian Yates.

also Rich Gaspari took 3rd place in 1985 at only 22 years old.

but did they placed so high in their 1st try?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the mass era has ended.. congrats dex.. even i want mamoth size bodybuilders...

Hopefully!! But with the new upcomming talents this shouldnt be to hard

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
but did they placed so high in their 1st try?

yes those years are their first Olympia appearances, '85 for Gaspari, '92 for Kevin and '93 for Flex :tiphat:

^^How many pro shows did Kevin, Flex and Rich do before they competed in the O? Because it's on about rookie's. Meaning like there 3rd pro show or summat. The 1991 Mr O was Dorians 3rd pro show.

ok..for Rich his first 3 shows (don't know if the first one is considered a pro show, but imo i think it is)
# 1984 World IFBB Amateur Championships Light-HeavyWeight, 1st
# 1985 IFBB Night of Champions 2nd
# 1985 IFBB Mr. Olympia 3rd

Kevin started with a 3rd place..
# 1992 San Jose Pro Invintaitonal, 3rd
# 1992 Night Of Champions, 1st
# 1992 Mr. Olympia, 2nd

Flex Wheeler ..was the man :D ..first show first win, second show 2nd win and then at the O 2nd place
# 1993 IFBB Ironman Pro Invitational 1st
# 1993 IFBB Arnold Classic 1st
# 1993 IFBB Mr. Olympia 2nd