• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

i need some help

M

max weight

i need some help,
what should i do to work out my legs and bicepts?
i am new to working out and stuff i am only 15,
i can only bench 95lbs:ugh: i am on the soccer team,
what vitamins and stuff should i take, what should i eat,
and what should i get used to doing like as a workout?

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you got to give us more info bro, like how much do you weigh? what your goals is, getting bigger,stronger? give us more info so we can help you.

M

max weight

ok i weight 120, my goal would be to lift more than my weight. at school there is a weight room, i have dumbells and a boflex in my room

M

max weight

i am about 5/9, 5/10.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bro i would suggest you train your entire body and learn the proper form for the exercises you should be doing.
BUT to answer your specific question about biceps and legs.

For legs:
Squat 3 sets 8-10 reps
leg press 3 sets 8-10 reps
leg curls 6 sets 8-12 reps

For biceps:
Barbell curls 3 sets 8 reps
dumbbell curls 3 sets 12 reps

Keep it simple. Your form comes first.

If i were you i would take a multi vitamin. take one in the morning and one before your practice or weight training session.

Your diet should be mostly carbohydrates, moderate fat moderate protein bc you are a soccer player. you probably pig out like 3 or 4 times a day im guessing, but mabye i am wrong.

I suggest like 4 meals with 2 snacks. Your in highschool so ill try to help you out with this:
Breakfast at home
Keep a can of nuts in your locker. after your second period have a nice sized handful of peanuts, cashews ect. I liked the variety pack of mixed nuts you get all the different kinds.

Have lunch at school, hopefully you could have a turkey sandwhich or something along with whatever else your eating from the school cafeteria. ( this should be the source of your first protein for the day)

One hour before practice or so have another handful of peanuts or whatever kind of nut you choose and take your vitamin.

After practice eat dinner. Your living with your parents i assume so just have dinner with them. (this is where you get your second protein for the day.

Before bed try like 2 peanut butter and honey sandwiches on a real whole grain rolled oats type of bread.

um try to get 80g of protein on days you weight train, and on days that you dont weight train try for like 50 grams.

Real simple for you to do hopefully bro.

God Bless
Ben

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok i weight 120, my goal would be to lift more than my weight. at school there is a weight room, i have dumbells and a boflex in my room
ok, you said that you are in a soccer team, so you only want to work you legs, or you're looking for a full body routine ?

M

max weight

i'll try anything and thanks big ben ill try all that, and instead of peanuts, can i just have a peanute butter on whole wheat sandwich?

M

max weight

when is the best time of the day to work out?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
when is the best time of the day to work out?

Whenever you can fit it in. Is your soccer season winding down now?

There are really a ton of variables here. But, we have some quality members who are more than willing to help you out with your goals.

Are your goals specific to being a better soccer player? Do you want to add as much muscle as possible? Combination of both?

The more details you can give us, the better :tiphat:

M

max weight

i am trying more of getting as much muscle as i can than being a better soccer player. and no soccer is just now starting, i have practice every tuesday and thursday. 2:30 to 5:00

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are a lot of articles here that can help, but you have to read them first.

I will make a couple of comments:
Legs need many exercises and you should do at least: a squat; a single leg lunge; a hip based pull (stiff legged dead, romanian deadlift, good morning, etc); a leg curl; a calf raise.
You need to learn to do the big exercises with good form.
Big exercises are squats, deadlifts and variations, chinups, dips, lunge variations, pressing.
You should be able to control the bar movement at any stage, without wobble, of the movement. So you should be able to stop the bar and hold it where you want.
Machines are generally not needed........... ever.
Chinups and dips will do more for arm mass than any other exercises.
Progressive overload (increased intensity, weight, workload and density) is the key, but you can't sacrifice form for overload (false progression).

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i'll try anything and thanks big ben ill try all that, and instead of peanuts, can i just have a peanute butter on whole wheat sandwich?

sure thats fine also. It looks like you will be getting a lot of great help in this thread. The best thing you can do is be active and help us help you the best you can, bc we will respond based off of what you tell us.

God Bless
Ben

Bhana

Bhana

There are a lot of articles here that can help, but you have to read them first.

I will make a couple of comments:
Legs need many exercises and you should do at least: a squat; a single leg lunge; a hip based pull (stiff legged dead, romanian deadlift, good morning, etc); a leg curl; a calf raise.
You need to learn to do the big exercises with good form.
Big exercises are squats, deadlifts and variations, chinups, dips, lunge variations, pressing.
You should be able to control the bar movement at any stage, without wobble, of the movement. So you should be able to stop the bar and hold it where you want.
Machines are generally not needed........... ever.
Chinups and dips will do more for arm mass than any other exercises.
Progressive overload (increased intensity, weight, workload and density) is the key, but you can't sacrifice form for overload (false progression).

Good post, the only thing i dont do is a leg curl.

My advice to you is not to fall into the trap of more is better I would start of with two sets of every excercise in your 1st week of training and gradually build it up inthe follwing weeks

Everyone got you covered

C

CRAZY CJ 20

I started training when I was about 14 and if you want a great read on some basics of building muscle I recommend The Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding by Arnold (should be about $25). That definently helped me back then as far as learning the basics about specific workouts and will pretty much give you a good overall knowledge to start your training. Here are some of the top mistakes I see young kids doing at the gym that will definently prevent some good potential:

- Start off with an open mind, the start of your training should be a learning phase rather than an intense day at the gym. That will come later with more experience.

- Get your form down before you move into the heavy weight. I see people of all ages jumping into more weight than they can handle. It's idiotic and most of all, dangerous.

- Stretch before and after every workout. It's sad that even some of the bigger guys at the gym dont do this. Stretching can lessen the chance of injury and will help increase flexibility which is crucial in multiple exercises you will be performing.

- Eat at least 3 times a day (full meals). Your body needs food for energy and for rebuilding of your muscles. A lack of food can lead to a lack of energy and a lack of muscle growth.

- Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night. This is something I screw up on at times. It is cricual that your body gets the rest it needs, especially after a hard day's work at the gym, in the classroom, and wherever else.

Jeez I could go on you're just starting and there's a lot to take in, but don't be overwhelmed by any means. Just keep at it and you'll know the ins and outs of your training, nutrition, etc in time. Definently check out that encyclopedia though. I recommend it to all beginners in the gym.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
- Stretch before and after every workout. It's sad that even some of the bigger guys at the gym dont do this. Stretching can lessen the chance of injury and will help increase flexibility which is crucial in multiple exercises you will be performing.

Do not stretch before a workout, at least no static stretches. Static stretches can increase injury risk and can be counterproductive for strength/speed sports. Overall there isnt much reseach found that states that stretches decrease the chance of an injury. dynamic stretches are a whole different story imo. those can be done before a workout.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do not stretch before a workout, at least no static stretches. Static stretches can increase injury risk and can be counterproductive for strength/speed sports. Overall there isnt much reseach found that states that stretches decrease the chance of an injury. dynamic stretches are a whole different story imo. those can be done before a workout.

Great post. And n addition to that, static stretching pre workout will significantly decrease power output and exertion. Also passive resistance shows an acute effect on recovery.

3 meals also? That's fine if you can meet your macronutrient and caloric requirements, but not unless you have an extremely active gastric emptying and a high capacity. 6-8 meals/day is used for a reason. An increase in absorption rate and of course a higher intake in food :dunnodude:

Diet must be emphasized, it determines not just hypertrophic gains, but strength improvement as well. Get reading.