• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Deads vs SLDLs vs sumo deads vs....?

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
so theres regular deads, Stiff leg deads, sumo, and some others out there
im just wondering, which one would leave less of an impact on stressful areas such as..

"quads, if i want to completely rule out legs, are sumo deads good? i tried them once and notice its all back, didn't feel a darn thing with quads,hams..

"stiff leg deads, are these better to do with flat foot shoes, or boot type ? a little bit of a heel, i usually wear either timberland boots or UA protopower shoes

"regulard deads, how far should i keep my legs out when doing these, is there a benefit if i do them narrow stance..

thanks.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I've never done sumos so I can't really comment on them but I would point out that the closer your feet are together the greater ROM you have. You could also try rack deads to keep the quads out of it too.

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

"quads, if i want to completely rule out legs, are sumo deads good? i tried them once and notice its all back, didn't feel a darn thing with quads,hams..

whatt, sumo and no legs? whenever i do sumo i feel more of my inner thighs working..helps??

"stiff leg deads, are these better to do with flat foot shoes, or boot type ? a little bit of a heel, i usually wear either timberland boots or UA protopower shoes

all dl's should be easier with flat shoes (wrestling shoes) but if you wanan spice up your SLDL, i do them on a platform and go deep on my reps. can really feel the stretch in my hams

"regulard deads, how far should i keep my legs out when doing these, is there a benefit if i do them narrow stance..

regular/ conventional..shouldnt it be shoulder length or slightly wider. thats my strongest point when doing DL's

hope that kinda helps

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Try lifting in bare feet or just socks as well. Works great for me!

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Sumo's incorporate more of the hips. But there is still alot of legs.

If all of them are done properly then the legs will be incorporated in all of them

BTW SLDL is a hamstring exercise.. so i dunno how how you can rule out legs.

I find all deads easier with flat shoes

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Stance width still doesn't and never has influenced leg recruitment.

All of those will involve the legs to some degree. Short of going off the pins for lockouts then legs are the prime mover in all those exercises.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to rule out legs as much as possible and just work on fatty erectors, I would recommend going with rack pulls. Place the locks in so that they are about 1 inch below the bottom of the patella and then go to town on them suckers. You will still get a lot of hammy work but not as much.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to rule out legs as much as possible and just work on fatty erectors, I would recommend going with rack pulls. Place the locks in so that they are about 1 inch below the bottom of the patella and then go to town on them suckers. You will still get a lot of hammy work but not as much.

I tried this same thing, and the effect is no where near as effective as deads from the floor.
Hypo, either way you going to recruit your thighs in some way. Just pick what works best for you. I recommend traditional deads, nothing is better :tiphat:

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Stiff leg deads feels mostly in my hams, since the range of motion is so short that my back dont really come into play. But I still feel it a little in the back

Sumo deads Is a good exercise if I want to involve my legs more, mainly hamstrings, but I feel it to a big degree in my inner thigh also. Atleast for me, sumo deads are more a leg exercise.

"Normal" deads. Is a great overall back exercise for me since its a strong move for me, I feel it works my back mostly but to a big degree my hamstrings also. Even though it depends if I "lock" my knees in a bent position or if I move a little with the weight.

Rack deads is the type of deads I normally do. It emphasises the back better then any other type I have tried.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
If you want to rule out areas such as quads and glutes then I would recommend doing regular deads but instead of starting from the floor. Just load up the weight on the support racks then lift it off and move back a couple of steps to begin your set. If you've ever watched Blood and Guts, I do it just like Dorian does. I don't squat down into the movement that much like regular deads. Like this;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dRT6cvV7RHE

The only thing I do differently is like I said, I just load the weight up on the rack/stands then begin my set after ive moved back a couple of steps.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks guys, ill try out the rack deads.
since i need to focus on lower back....
hams are alright as of now, but lower back needs work

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I tried this same thing, and the effect is no where near as effective as deads from the floor.
Hypo, either way you going to recruit your thighs in some way. Just pick what works best for you. I recommend traditional deads, nothing is better :tiphat:

im signing this one. i did partial deadlifts before, and sure they worked for my erectors, but ive found full ROM deads to be much more effective. also, the extra leg growth is just a bonus if u ask me.

personally, regular deads straight from the floor, with about shoulder width grip is the best way to go for back development. ive never tried sumo deads, but i would think they dont work as well for the back, by relieing more on leg/hip power.

Beau

Beau

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you want to rule out areas such as quads and glutes then I would recommend doing regular deads but instead of starting from the floor. Just load up the weight on the support racks then lift it off and move back a couple of steps to begin your set. If you've ever watched Blood and Guts, I do it just like Dorian does. I don't squat down into the movement that much like regular deads. Like this;

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dRT6cvV7RHE

The only thing I do differently is like I said, I just load the weight up on the rack/stands then begin my set after ive moved back a couple of steps.

Ya dude thats how I do them as well, works great full ROM just easier to load the weights and start the lift from the rack then move to the floor

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
But thats basically like a rack deadlift without the "stop" at the bottom.
I feel that lowering the bar down to the stop then "restart" the movement actually gives you two things in one. Static training while lowering the bar then a deadlift while lifting it.

Im not sure which gives the most but I feel it in the lower back and up towards my traps doing it in the rack while just in the lower back while doing it normal or as Dorian does it.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pulling from a stop actually negates the stretch reflex so it is harder and requires the ability to recruit muscles when fatigued. You'll do less reps as a result but there is a reason they are called deadlifts, because you lift a dead weight with no momentum.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's pretty simple,

Romaning dead's
SLDL's
Sumo's, etc.

...they all require different fiberal recruitment patterns. Muscle and limb involvement changes, so comparing these 3 lifts wouldn't be fair.

Hypo: the questions you asked seem personal preference to me.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's pretty simple,

Romaning dead's
SLDL's
Sumo's, etc.

...they all require different fiberal recruitment patterns. Muscle and limb involvement changes, so comparing these 3 lifts wouldn't be fair.

Hypo: the questions you asked seem personal preference to me.

Exactly, as usual Kev hits the nail right on the head. :xyxthumbs:

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

lower back

you can try good mornings?

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do mine exact as Dorian Yates, it allows constant control of the weight, however if you allow it to hit the floor and immediatelypull up you get a bouncing sensation which can damage your lower back. Expalination being when you hit the bounce the wieght has become weightless and within the split second you relift it your back has to adjust to holding it instantly. Tendon Tear?

Now i know a little something about deadlifting since I had to train them all and still do.

If you are specifically targettting your back go with the traditional, minimum usage of legs full ROM for the back.

Quads and Inner thighs as a maximum with minimal back go with Sumo

SLDL or Romanians - Are good at hitting your back and your hammies and glutes.

The Romanians and Traditional are age old however Sumo deadlifting came around for powerlifting... with training you can lift up to 100lbs. more sumo than traditional because you incorporate back/quads/ hips/ inner thigh/glutes, look at powerlifting vid a majority of Pro Powerlifters use the SUMO.

They use it to get the maximum pull but that should be the info on up regarding the usage for muscle specific.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
I do regular DL to the floor,stop and up again for back, they do recruit legs but not that much, i preffer full ROM better than rack DLs.
SLDLs for hammies.