• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How Long Do you Wait Between Your PWO Shake & Meal?

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Can there be a certain time limit on it, to soon or to late? I ask because I had my shake when I got home from training tonight, and I was cooking my food (Chicken) for my next meal, then for some reason unknown to me I ate the chicken like 20 mins later without realizing what I was doing. To say I flipped out at myself is an understatement, I was swearing at myself in the VIP chat :uhoh2: I think my diet is making me loose my mind :methman::carduindisguise

But to answer my own question, I usually wait 45 - 60 mins. How about you guys?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I take a protein shake without carbs after my session is done..then I take some BCAAs for the ride home on my bike, thats 30min. Then its food as soon as Im home.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I take a protein shake without carbs after my session is done..then I take some BCAAs for the ride home on my bike, thats 30min. Then its food as soon as Im home.

You don't take any carbs with your post-workout shake? :uhoh2: That is critical.

What I do is straight away after my workout is finished I'll neck my post-workout shake (made from dextrose and protein) then have my main meal 1 or 1 and a half hours later.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
You don't take any carbs with your post-workout shake? :uhoh2: That is critical.

For what?....muscle growth? uh uh..recovery yes.
Since Im doing a cardio session while Im going home eating carbs would fuck that up. I eat carbs when Im home.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
For what?....muscle growth? uh uh..recovery yes.
Since Im doing a cardio session while Im going home eating carbs would fuck that up. I eat carbs when Im home.

What's the attitude for Daniel :disgust:

Just making a point that you'll progress furthur if you have that post-workout shake immediatley after the gym, but silly me i forgot you was trying to slim down :tiphat:

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
What's the attitude for Daniel :disgust:

Just making a point that you'll progress furthur if you have that post-workout shake immediatley after the gym, but silly me i forgot you was trying to slim down :tiphat:

That wasn't intended bro. The only thing that happens if I take carbs right away after my session besides that the cardios worthless...is that I need to take a shit :keke:...I dont think carbs are necessary after a workout for musclegrowth if you are going to do cardio...thats why I take BCAAs instead to stop the muscleloss. But then there will be atleast 100g of carbs when I get home. But I agree my recovery would be better if I took some carbs in the shake

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
That wasn't intended bro. The only thing that happens if I take carbs right away after my session besides that the cardios worthless...is that I need to take a shit :keke:...I dont think carbs are necessary after a workout for musclegrowth if you are going to do cardio...thats why I take BCAAs instead to stop the muscleloss. But then there will be atleast 100g of carbs when I get home. But I agree my recovery would be better if I took some carbs in the shake

:keke:

Ok bro, thought you was being funny with me. I never like doing cardio after the gym for that reason though, because i feel like im wasting away if i dont get the nutrients in my body. So next time when i diet I'll be doing cardio first thing in the morning or later in the evening, way after the gym.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I normally have 2 scoops whey and a banana immediatly after my workout and then 1.5 hours later 150g chicken 1 cup brown rice and 150g broccoli

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glycotic carbs are necessary post workout for quicker nutrient translocation. 100g (approx) for complete glycogen resynthesis.

You need to illicit an insulin spike after your workout, dieting or not. You can do this, or take it during your workout as the glucose is directly stored as muscle glycogen, not fat. Gains may not regress, but could be hindered...if you get what i'm saying.

The faster you induce protein synthesis, the closer you are to another meal. That said take your protein and glycotic carb post workout. 45min-1hr (estimated time of nutrient uptake), have a meal consisting of complex carbs and a lean protein source.

Hope this clears some things up :tiphat:

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i immediately drink my muscle milk protein shake after workout..
then i change my cloth etc. and on my way home (like 7 mins after the shake) i drink my gatorade and leave every sip in my mouth for a while so the good stuff can go in my blood faster (trough tongue )

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh you've got 45mins to consume this stuff. KM summed it up well.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 - 10 minutes prior finishing my workout i take 2 scoops of WMS which equals 110g carbs
i then wait roughly 10 minutes and drink 1.5 scoop of whey
then i wait 45 minutes, i start counting after i finished my WMS

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1 hour to 1.5 at the most. Despite my PWO shake being 600-800 calories, I am usually hungry again a half hour later. I would wait no longer than an hour if your schedule permits.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ so u can consume those fast crbs to store your glyocogen after your WO even if u are dieting?

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Inflammation is to great after workout. I stand by eating a meal after training. Supplement companies are the ones you see pushing the idea behind PWO shakes. Only if you are taking Insulin would I take in a PWO shake.

IMPO, it's all the meals after working out that are important. Not just the one, after working out your body main mission is refilling the liver glycogen then muscle.

If you listen to a lot of the older guys on different boards you'll here the same thing. PWO should be a solid meal. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ You make some good points. My only problem with a lot of the solid meals is that they are slower digesting in both carbohydrates and proteins, not to mention that fats will slow absorption. Immediately following your workout glut-4 is up and you will be able to digest more protein and a lot of your solid meals will delay the transport of these vital nutrients to your body. At all other times of the day, you want the solid meals that will slowly disperse nutrients until the next meal but following a workout, you want it to go to work as fast as possible. The whey will go in and work to reverse catabolism immediately and the carbs will work to "wet" the "dry sponge" and fill muscle glycogen. By doing this, you can effectively kickstart the repair process and fend off catabolism.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Many people dispute high GI/GL carbs, as GLUT-4 is activated through intensive exercise anyway. So, I respect your point as well youngmusclejock :tiphat: