• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Taurine is good for the heart

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
apoptosis = (programmed) cell death. Thus, taurine prevents heart cell death. Therefore, taurine = good.

Taurine prevents cardiomyocyte death by inhibiting NADPH oxidase-mediated calpain activation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2008 Oct 9.

Taurine has been shown to prevent cardiomyocyte apoptosis. This study investigated the effects of taurine on NADPH oxidase and calpain activation in mediating apoptosis in cardiomyocytes. Apoptosis was induced by norepinephrine (NE) in cultured adult rat ventricular cardiomyocytes. NE (5 muM) increased NADPH oxidase activation and reactive oxygen species (ROS) production and induced apoptosis. These effects of NE on cardiomyocytes were diminished by taurine (0.5 mg/kg) but not beta-alanine. Inhibition of gp91(phox)-NADPH oxidase or ROS production protected cardiomyocytes from apoptosis. NE also induced calpain-1 activation in cardiomyocytes. This effect of NE on calpain was abrogated by gp91(phox)-NADPH oxidase inhibition or ROS scavengers and was mimicked by H(2)O(2) (25 muM) in cardiomyocytes. Pharmacological inhibitors of calpain or overexpression of calpastatin, a specific calpain inhibitor, blocked calpain activation and prevented cardiomyocyte apoptosis during NE stimulation. Furthermore, taurine treatment inhibited NE- or H(2)O(2)-induced calpain activation in cardiomyocytes. In conclusion, NADPH oxidase induces calpain activation, leading to apoptosis in NE-induced cardiomyocytes. Taurine inhibits NADPH oxidase and calpain activation. Thus, inhibition of NADPH oxidase-mediated calpain activation may be an important mechanism for taurine's antiapoptotic action in cardiomyocytes.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thank gor i like drinking red bull :keke:

Yet another great article!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
U talking about the NE or the rats lulz :keke:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
NE... which would be jacked up after drinking red bull, lol. Taurine in red bull is like taking some fish oils with a Big Mac.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Haha true...bit i drink the sugar free version :keke:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Still a lot of stimulants. This is bascially the reason why I've laid off stims, people can post studies of things showing months of ephedrine doesn't damage anything and blah blah blah, but unless they want to do heart biopsy's pre post (impossible to do in humans), and look at them for years, it's kinda moot. I'd avoid long term stimulant use.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ yeah i agree with that... i would only use stimulants in a cutting phase to help me achieve what i want faster

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I never understood why they picked taurine for teh energy drinks.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^
Mood/mental focus

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've been taking 2-4g of Taurine A DAY since June, and I was just taking it for cramps, good info here James.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Does taurine have other benefids than that? I thought Ive red it could help peopel who have trouble sleeping and for cramps.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
why taurine for cramps?

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tidbit about Taurine

This is an amino acid, which increases the effectiveness of cellular pumps, treats the state of hyper-excitability and protects the cell from calcium overload. Taurine may also be effective in a number of cases which were found to eliminate epilepsy cramps. The taurine cramp reliving action is intensified by vitamin E, amber and lime acids, B vitamin groups and zinc. For the majority of people who are trying to prevent leg cramps, it is sufficient to ingest 1 capsule 3 times a day 1 hour prior to food intake. Muscle cramps relieving effects, as a rule, are begin to show in the course of two weeks. Taurine is safe enough to be used in prolonged dosing. Taurine has a number of remarkable effects. It possesses a powerful anti-fatigue effect in people performing intensive mental and/or physical work. Athletes prefer it due to the fact that it protects muscles from damages and accelerates the period of rehabilitation after load. Taurine is especially powerful when dealing with cramps caused by high blood pressure and diabetes since it contributes to the normalization of arterial pressure and blood sugar level.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ thanx for the info Tweak, sometimes my hams cramp up after leg training at night while i sleep....not fun at all...

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
while on my first cycle of Havoc I had a charlie horse a night it seemed. My potassium levels were so low too, so that didn't help. Once I started eating a couple bananas a day and supplementing potassium and magnesium with my taurine, never had the problem again. This time around I made sure to be fully stocked with them haha.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ yeah im gonna try that too..

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good news, I have been supplementing with Taurine for some time now :D

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting stuff.

Although I have a queary/discussion topic; Taurine is an organic acid that the body produces, notably for digestive purposes, so isn't the body producing it already? And yes this is a leading question, if we make it already, aren't the benefits going to come more from supplemental pre-cursors rather than direct supplementation?

I'm thinking that the reason for Taurine direct may be as a result of pet food and pharmaceutical production rather than getting our liver and testes to upregulate production.