• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Adjustable Dumbbells

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was thinking about getting a set for at home. Has anyone used them before? Which ones are better?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Da wuns dat r hevy duh...

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:keke: Thanks.
Just wondering cause the ones I'm looking at are almost $500.
Alot of $$! Just looking for advice.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Fuck the adjustable ones, just get a pair of DB bars and some plates. Much cheaper. You could buy a whole bench set and a couple of hundred kgs of weights with $500.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Freak.

are you looking into setting up your own home gym?

V

vdawg

i got a pair. theyre good for arm workouts

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
depends how advanced you are and how much weight you need. Is storage a problem? If not I would rather you just got sets of dumbbells. Adjusting them will eventually start to piss you off.

If need be you could always buy a couple higher-weight sets as you progress.

Eli80Cal

Eli80Cal

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I assume you mean the kind that go from 5-50 with a twist. I would go with DB and plates, or hit up your local used sporting good stores. Picked up some 60#s for $30. My main gripe about adjustable DBs is the inherent instability. Pick up a set and shake them. You do not need that kind of movement at the end of a heavy set.

German_Joe

German_Joe

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im0030w-1.jpg

get these nuff said

pick em up at walmart, you can also purchase plates there 2.5-50 lbs

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yea like everyone else said, don't be foolish and waist all your money on "toys"

go oldschool and buy some real db's where you can add plates or take some off.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The dumbbells in the picture GJ posted are not quality. They loosen, jiggle and are very unstable. The heavier you go the worse it gets.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
The dumbbells in the picture GJ posted are not quality. They loosen, jiggle and are very unstable. The heavier you go the worse it gets.

I started training with DBs like that and they worked perfectly fine. You just have to make sure you tighten then up after each set. The adjustable sets are just for lazy buggers with too much money as far as I'm concerned. Sticking to the basics works fine.:xyxthumbs:

CombBoy

CombBoy

I have a 50kg cast iron set with a pair of spinlock dumbbell handles and a 6ft spinlock barbell from YORK FITNESS. Just about to get some bigger plates so I can get back to deadlifting and benching.
Works a treat :xyxthumbs: :weightlifter:

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks for the advice everyone. The set I was originally looking at were IronMaster Quick-Lock dumbbells 75lbs and could be expanded to 165lbs. I just hesitated at the $489 price & thought I would ask if anyone knew anything about them. I stopped in at Sports Authority by my house and they had 2 different adjustable dumbbells, the Bowflex 552's & some other ones. The Bowflex ones were total pieces of shit. The pair I tried, the adjustment dial was broken & wouldn't turn. Definitely NOT worth $459. The other set was $379 and the adjustment dial worked fine, but they were unstable and loose. Every rep, they clanked and felt loose. I would have been HELLA Pissed off if I would have ordered them online. I found the set German Joe posted the picture of, but with 50lbs of Rubber coated plates for $59.99. The rubber on the plates keeps them quiet & keeps the thread from coming loose. I bought them. Plenty of room for more plates as I need them & I saved $430.:methman: Thanks again everyone for the advice. :tiphat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a pair of DB's with the threaded spindle lock collars. They are fine as long as you don't want to lift heavy on presses and get the throat long enough to hold enough plates. I've found that they get hard to handle due to the collar digging into your leg as you get set to move into the pressing position. THere becomes a point with the weight that it will actually move from bruising you (manageable) to tearing your leg (painful and counterproductive).

Ideally you would have several that would cover a certain range each. These would have hex key locking collars. These are the far more expensive option and you would only be making adjustments to them as you progress, not within a workout/week.

maddog8500

maddog8500

I too like the IronMasters, and for the money you can't beat the price. Right now i have fixed dumbbells 5-50 lbs. And i've spent almost as much money on them as buying the IronMasters.

grandmaster

grandmaster

do you have any pics of these DB's you bought