• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dieting Carbs

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Curious to what would be an acceptable amount of carbs for dieting?

my daily carb intake by rough estimate is about 150-200 should i intake less?

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's not a set number of carbs you shold take in - it's individual. Some people tolerate carbs very well and thus will be able to take in more carbs than others. Also - the leaner you are the better you will tolerate carbs so if your packin a high BF I would watch the carbs.

But as I said - it's individual. You could try cutting your carbs down replacing them with healthy fats and see how you respond. Some go crazy without carbs some do just fine without. I for one do not have to cut out carbs when i diet, even though I do cut them a bit when dieting since it's an easy place to save calories.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agreed with essensen. Its more important to keep track of your total caloric intake.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Count cals and best to take ur carbs in the morning pre and post workout!

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bah it's impossible to keep up with a daily food log lol I don't even remember what i ate 3 hours ago... it's most likely it was salmon though.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
bah it's impossible to keep up with a daily food log lol I don't even remember what i ate 3 hours ago... it's most likely it was salmon though.

Or a small child:ughnoes:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Nah it's not halloween or christmas.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok I'll try to remember what I ate yesterday,

Meal 1

60g Protein Shake with morning supps. Totaling 180 Cals.
6 boiled egg whites

Meal 2

Nitro-Tech Protein Bar, Cal Intake 250

Meal 3

30 peanuts, 6 oz. albacore tuna - 400 Cals

Meal 4

80g Protein shake, with creatine - 210 cals

Meal 5

2 scoops of rice, 11 oz. Salmon - i dunno how many carbs

Meal 6

Nitro Tech bar and nighttime supps - 250 cals

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Food log is usually a small diary that you keep on you. You then sit down and add up the meal totals at the end of each day or week (which ever you prefer). So as you eat, make a note of what you ate, how much (get some scales or get good at estimating portions), and of what (including dressings, butter, etc).

I kept one for about 3-4months and was amazed at how little I ate. At the time I classified myself as a hard gainer. Now I roughly know what my portions are and intake is without having to log it. But if I was seriously dieting or gaining I'd be keeping one.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
curtisymoo

curtisymoo

hmmm ill have to try that one tim.

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok I'll try to remember what I ate yesterday,

Meal 1

60g Protein Shake with morning supps. Totaling 180 Cals.
6 boiled egg whites

Meal 2

Nitro-Tech Protein Bar, Cal Intake 250

Meal 3

30 peanuts, 6 oz. albacore tuna - 400 Cals

Meal 4

80g Protein shake, with creatine - 210 cals

Meal 5

Meal 6

Nitro Tech bar and nighttime supps - 250 cals

Are you sure you've got the cals on the proteinbars right? I've googled 'em and none of the nitro trec's bar i've found was as low as 250. I was also worried they were packed with sugar since a lot of proteinbars unfortunately are, and since you use them pre-bed it would be bad. Now, from what I've found they do actually not contain a lot of suger (only 1-4 grams) but they are loaded with maltitol - a sweetner chemically related to suger (sugar alcohol). Maltitol ( a long with Sorbitol, xylitol og mannitol) have the neat ability that it convert into sugar, but not until you digested it - and therefore they can avoid putting it on the description of contents as sugar. Diabetics are not allowed to take in food items with sugar alcohols of this partiuclar reason because it will have an impact on your bloodsugar - and you most certainly don't want that to happen right before bedtime if your want to loose fat.

So my advice would be to cut those bars out of your diet and replace it with something else (you can actually have quite a lot healthy foods for those cals).

PrinceVegetas advice is pretty good as well - concentrate your carbs around morning, pre and post-wo.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Meal 5

I think about 850-900 calories for your Meal 5

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Are you sure you've got the cals on the proteinbars right? I've googled 'em and none of the nitro trec's bar i've found was as low as 250.

Calories: 270
Total Fat: 7g
Sat Fat: 5g
Trans Fat: 0
Total Carb: 31g
Dietry Fiber: 4 g
Sugars: 1g
Protien: 30g
Calcium: 258mg

I was guessing on the cal, close enough.

I usually eat the bar after breakfast cause at that moment i'm moving from one classroom to the other or else I would eat something more solid.

Now when it comes to My nitro tech bars... i counted I have 23 boxes of these thigns that the company sent me.... and they expire in 6 months... so they need to disappear lmao. The people that would have interest in buy dunno why they would spend $2 a bar so i keep it.
Iron: 1 mg

Thats on the bar,plus NO Acclearators and Amino Acids.

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Look at the ingredientlist - does it have maltitol in it insted of the sugar? Or some of the other sweeteners I mentioned in my previous post. If it does - then ditch it before bedtime - it will hinder your weightloss since it still will elevate your bloodsugar.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also agreeing with Vegeta. Center you carbs at breakfast and post wokout. also, If you were taking in a good amount of carbs in the offseason and now you're trying to cut down, make sure you GRADUALLY lower the carbs. Your body doesnt respond as well to taking away too many carbs all at once.

Also, on a really low carb diet its a good idea to have a refeed day. Take one day out of the week to have a solid amount of carbs. I'd say around 400. Carbs play an important role in burning fat, so if you never have them in your system it's easy to stall out on losing fat.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Absolutely it depends on the individual.

Turk is dieting and he's taking in 400+ carbs a day.

:keke:

R

radguym

for me i always know what im going to eat not by calories but by the indiviual components cabrs fats and protein. I think that way is better and like everyone says everyone is different. You dont wanna go to low on carbohydrates. The best thing is to play around with your carbohydrats and see what work you never no you could lose body fat at 300 carbohydrates a day. and still have great energy for your workout

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good advice already..

Don't stress too much, what matters is all carbs are starches/complex carbs. Realize, every cell in your body operates using glucose. Polysacchardies like starches, dispense and release glucose steadily from the intestines. Energy is far more expensive to convert carbs to fat than other macromolecules.

Cals, cals, cals, cals. If you're not in a deficit prioritizing protein, say goodbye to results.

Also agreeing with Vegeta. Center you carbs at breakfast and post wokout. also, If you were taking in a good amount of carbs in the offseason and now you're trying to cut down, make sure you GRADUALLY lower the carbs. Your body doesnt respond as well to taking away too many carbs all at once.

Also, on a really low carb diet its a good idea to have a refeed day. Take one day out of the week to have a solid amount of carbs. I'd say around 400. Carbs play an important role in burning fat, so if you never have them in your system it's easy to stall out on losing fat.

Solid fucking post. To boot, the pancreas is responsible for enzymatic activity. When 'x' amount of carbs, proteins or fats enter the doendum, 'x' amounts of proteases, carbohydrases and lipases are secreted (general enzymes responsible to breakdown macronutrients for absorption). A sudden switch in diet will not give the pancreas adequate time to adapt, causing indigestion and stomach pains.

When you're dieting, that's the last thing you need: the shits.

Cosign re-feed, plateauing is the response of low leptin. Refeed and problem is solved.