• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Computer CPU question

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out with deciding. I have the choice of two computers. One will have Dual Xeons but not sure which ones. The other would be a single Core 2 Duo. Ram isn't really a problem. I know I could put a lot more in with the Xeons because of the motherboard. Harddrives are going to be the same. I will use it for streaming HD movies, maybe playing a few games but thats what my xbox 360 is for mostly. It will be used to convert files, download torrents and other things like that. Now I don't keep up with CPU's much thats why I am asking you. The Xeons are probably only a year or two old but top of line when purchased. The core 2 duos would probably be around a 3.0-3.2 ghz speed.

Thoughts?

Oh and I will be getting this for free from my work since we have about 100 servers stacked up in the back. And I do know that the Xeon server was about $6k when they bought it a year or so ago. :xyxthumbs: Wish I wasn't so lazy and would go out and hook it up to a console.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh and I found out that they are Xeon 2.8ghz processors.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Xeons are for servers only IMO, there is NO reason to use then other wise.
Go with the Core 2 duo, much cheaper and better with games

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Xeons are for servers only IMO, there is NO reason to use then other wise.
Go with the Core 2 duo, much cheaper and better with games

Lies, all Lies. I joke there is a lot of truth to it. Xeons are used for different types of computing. They are often found in CAD workstations and design computers.

Here is the the thing about video conversion, today's conversion programs aren't written properly for today's processors and gpu's. Have dual Xeon's as opposed to a current Core 2 Duo is a pretty easy choice, you should go with the Core 2 Duo. The architecture of the current Core 2's being 2 years ahead of the Xeon's is lightyears of difference. If you go with Current Gen Core 2 Duo get on the 45nm architecture, it saves you power.

Bottom line a 2 year old processor is ancient.

Bhana

Bhana

^Very trye, technology is updating super quick nowadays, go for the core duo

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Lies, all Lies. I joke there is a lot of truth to it. Xeons are used for different types of computing. They are often found in CAD workstations and design computers.

Here is the the thing about video conversion, today's conversion programs aren't written properly for today's processors and gpu's. Have dual Xeon's as opposed to a current Core 2 Duo is a pretty easy choice, you should go with the Core 2 Duo. The architecture of the current Core 2's being 2 years ahead of the Xeon's is lightyears of difference. If you go with Current Gen Core 2 Duo get on the 45nm architecture, it saves you power.

Bottom line a 2 year old processor is ancient.

I hope so..

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Definitely go for the Core 2
my Core 2 quad 6600 is 2 years old + older...but very highly overclockable
quad 2.4ghz.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Core 2 Duo.
"Compared to Intel Core Duo (Yonah), Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom) has larger L2 cache, slightly deeper pipeline and added decode and execution units. In addition, Merom features more aggressive pre-fetch mechanisms than Yonah, as well as Intel Memory Disambiguation technology that allows for out-of-order loads. In other words, not only is Merom able to process more data at once, at a faster speed, but it can also get access to that data quicker."

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
And plus if you wanted to upgrade, someone correct me if im worng Core 2 processors are incompatible with most if not all Xeon mother boards, and if you did get Xeon and have to upgrade within.... 2 months which you will you'd have to buy an entire new motherboard for the processor or get he core 2 Duo and be able to keep mother board and upgrade processor.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Some of the XEONs use Socket771 but others Socket 775, So it should "work"

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So i went with the core 2 duo. I believe its the 2.53 ghz and will have 4 gigs of ram. Should be plenty for what I need. I'll have over a terabyte of storage for all of my goodies. I just need a new video card. I'll probably pick up something cheap.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the new Intel i7 cpus will be out soon.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the new Intel i7 cpus will be out soon.

They are already out. I just can't get them for free. These Core 2 Duo's are the ones we use for servers so when one gets decommissioned, they goto the spare parts room.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They are already out. I just can't get them for free. These Core 2 Duo's are the ones we use for servers so when one gets decommissioned, they goto the spare parts room.

Never buy the first gen of a new architecture etc.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some of the XEONs use Socket771 but others Socket 775, So it should "work"

"Work" perhaps. There is more to it than the socket type, if i am not mistaken. My 4+ year old Asus P5AD2-E mobo is socket 775, but it won't take the socket 775 quad core processor i have now.

All the compatibility information is on intel's website. My advice would be to not mix a motherboard meant for a Xeon with a non Xeon processor. Just my two cents.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
"Work" perhaps. There is more to it than the socket type, if i am not mistaken. My 4+ year old Asus P5AD2-E mobo is socket 775, but it won't take the socket 775 quad core processor i have now.

All the compatibility information is on intel's website. My advice would be to not mix a motherboard meant for a Xeon with a non Xeon processor. Just my two cents.

Hence the bunnyears around work.. If its a 775 pin XEON the only thing that makes it work or not on your moderboard is if the bios is programmed to understand what it is, not the actual motherboard it self, you should know that. There's no excuses what so ever, if you use a cpu with lower or higher fsb it adapts to what the motherboard support. (With some exeptions) That being said, you are right about the thing about mixing new and old stuff, it seldom work as good.