• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Creator's Training Tip Thread

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So as most of you know I am finishing up my BS right now in Exercise Science emphasis in fitness evaluation and design. I also am a personal trainer at Gold's gym certified through ACE, NASM, Pinnacle, and soon ACSM. I thought some people might take interest in a thread with a tip every other day or so to help improve training and prevent injury. To some the tip may seem a bit elementary but to others it may be beneficial. I'll post a tip and lets discuss!

Tip 1
Always always always, make sure you incorporate scapular retraction into any pushing or pulling movement. This may seem basic to many people but scapular retraction during pressing a pulling movements is something that I dont see as much as I'd like. Scapular retraction in the pulling together of the scapula (shoulder blades) in towards the spinal column. During ANY pressing or pulling movement, the scapulae should stay "pinched" together during the entire movement. This will allow you to work your intended muscle group and places much less stress on the shoulder complex, namely rotator cuff and GHJ as a whole. Whether it be a seated row or a standard bench press, before you even begin the movement, you should retract your shoulder blades as if you were trying to hold a peanut between them. It is in this retracted position of the shoulder blades that the movement should then be performed. I know this was a huge factor in me improving my chest and I hope that it can help you too.
Exercising scapular retraction can also prevent you from looking like a hunchback later on in life :xyxthumbs:

Muscles involved in retracting of the shoulder blade
Rhomboids, and lower traps (trap 3)

Muscles involved in stabilizing and protracting shoulder blade
Serratus anterior

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For the longest I made that mistake when working my chest. Huge difference since I've started to remember. i.e. A year ago! It's still a little hard to do when working lats.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For the longest I made that mistake when working my chest. Huge difference since I've started to remember. i.e. A year ago! It's still a little hard to do when working lats.

Yeah it was the difference between night and day for my chest workouts! I find it is a lot harder to incorporate during back movements.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
This is a great idea for a thread mate. It's going to be really helpfull so thanks :tiphat:

I always retract my scapula but I made special emphasis today. I was doing chest and it made bench presses flyes etc all the more better. You completly feel it more in the intended muscle groups. I had a friend once, who hurt his shoulders during flat bench presses and I told him to retract his shoulder blades and basically stick out his chest and his shoulder pain went away and his chest muscles responded in strength and that led to growth.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I find it easier to use during back workouts when doing Reverse Grip.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
This is gonna be a great thread if you update it frequently Creator, thanks for that.

Regarding your first tip: i focus on retracting my shoulder blades when doing back (rowing) but now that you mention it i don't pay any special care to it when pressing, I will have to give it a shot. Thank you :tiphat:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is gonna be a great thread if you update it frequently Creator, thanks for that.

Regarding your first tip: i focus on retracting my shoulder blades when doing back (rowing) but now that you mention it i don't pay any special care to it when pressing, I will have to give it a shot. Thank you :tiphat:

Thanks and I will surely update it often! I have about 10 tips that I wrote up in class today with some detail and even spent some time discussing them with one of my professors. I will try to throw one up about every other day! I could post them all up at once but I want to allow for the opportunity to discuss each one in detail.

As far as pressing goes, definitely give it a shot! I saw huge improvements in my chest since I started retracting the scapulae on my presses. Takes a ton of stress off the shoulder and puts in right where you want it to be, the chest!

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Really I have never done this to be honest, I'll try it today though for sure... I'd definately hire you bud.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good info m8. This is one of the most common mistakes you see in the gym.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good idea for a thread Creator, repped!!

I just want to add to the point made; scapular retraction has to be neutral to depressed. If you don't have the scapular "down and back" then you can have the upper traps take over the retraction and end up with some looseness in the movement that you were trying to avoid. (this is an issue I currently have myself)

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I just want to add to the point made; scapular retraction has to be neutral to depressed. If you don't have the scapular "down and back" then you can have the upper traps take over the retraction and end up with some looseness in the movement that you were trying to avoid. (this is an issue I currently have myself)

This was the very first mistake I made, when I started training. I think everyone makes this mistake, or is still making this mistake. Is there a video anywhere showing how to do this? I know Toney Freeman talks about this in his videos!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

ooh good point Tim, I forgot to add that! It is easy for folks to get real tense in the neck when doing this and that is not correct.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It is very important considering this:
Shoulder Strength and Range-Of-Motion Characteristics in Bodybuilders
JOSHUA C. BARLOW, BRIAN W. BENJAMIN, PATRICK J. BIRT,ANDCHRISTOPHER J. HUGHES

ABSTRACT
The purpose of this study was to compare shoulder range-of-motion (ROM) and strength values between bodybuildersand nonbodybuilders. Fifty-four men (29 bodybuilders and25 nonbodybuilders) between the ages of 21 and 34 yearsparticipated in the study. Goniometric measurements wereused to assess shoulder flexion and internal and external ro-tation ROM. Isometric manual muscle tests were performedusing a handheld dynamometer. Shoulder flexion, internaland external rotation, abduction, and prone shoulder retrac-tion and elevation strength were tested. Independent t-testswere used to determine levels of statistical significance be-tween the groups. Bodybuilders showed an overall loss ofshoulder rotation ROM (166 vs. 180 ) and a significantly de-creased internal rotation ROM ( 11 ) compared with thecontrol group. Bodybuilders were significantly stronger onall isometric shoulder-strength tests than nonbodybuilders,except for the assessment of lower trapezius strength whenexpressed as a percentage of body weight. The results of thisstudy indicate that bodybuilders have imbalances regardingstrength and ROM at the shoulder that may make them sus-ceptible to shoulder pathology.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice thread and convo going on. I think scapular retraction and depression should take place in all movements; squats, deadlifts, rows, presses and even bi/tri movements. Keeping an arched upper back when doing squats is a lot safer and will allow your body to work more efficiently. Lookin' forward to the updates Creator.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks everyone for the discussion and input! Keep it coming and I will put up another tip tomorrow!

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Last week I bench maxed at 250 and today I tried it with scapular retractions..I got 260biggrinsanta

Keep these coming brotha!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Last week I bench maxed at 250 and today I tried it with scapular retractions..I got 260biggrinsanta

Keep these coming brotha!

Glad to hear it helped! It really made a difference in my strength and size gains as well! I use this often with potential clients to try to "wooooo" them. I find a kid who wants to bench more, apply the principles of scapular retraction and depression, and lo and behold he suddenly can bench a little more and he actually feels it in his chest. It really is a cool thing!

I will have a new one up for tomorrow and another one on Friday!

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cool Thread man!
Will check back for more info.
Started applying today, chest felt good.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome thread! very useful...i use scalpular contractio when benching.. i feel more power this way...but its difficlut to incorpate when doing any dumbell movements...any thoughts?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tip 2:
Never never never bounce at the top of a squat
! When you come to the top of a repetition and you bounce, this creates a meniscus crushing effect. The meniscus is essentially a shock absorber that lies between the thigh bone (femur) and the shin bone (tibia). It is easy to get caught bouncing because once you blow through your sticking point in a squat, you power the weight up and consequently end up bouncing from time to time. Unlike the previous tip, this one wont help you move more weight but I can assure you that bouncing at the top of a squat WILL damage your knees in time. The meniscus spreads the impact of pressure at the knee joint. This happens with movements like landing from a vertical jump (the shock is absorbed by the eccentric contractions of the muscles and the meniscus), however, the meniscus is not meant to take the extreme stress that comes along with hundreds of pounds on our back coupled by the "rebound" effect created by bouncing.
In conclusion, move the weight up slowly in a controlled fashion and dont power the weight up during the last third of the movement causing a bouncing effect. Please fellow brothers of iron, dont give the wonderful squat a bad rep by causing yourselves knee pain. I hear it far too often, "Dont squat because it's bad for your knees!". Do it correctly and it is one of the greatest, most effective movements from growth and functional stand point!