• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Brocolli Question

RecklessJohnny

RecklessJohnny

Hey guys, quick question.

So I am eating broccoli religiously for my contest diet. I include it in 3 of my meals each day. My question I have for you guys that I couldn't find was how to eat it. Usually I will eat the entire piece - the stem and the top. But honestly the stem tastes like crap - just my opinion. Is it cool if I skip the stem and just eat the tops of them? Anyone know if I would be missing out on more nutrients if I didn't eat the stem?

Hope someone can help me with my stupid question :) :49:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
From a plant physiology point of view it depends on the age of the head and what part of the stem you are talking about. Stems within the head will to a large extent have similar nutrient profiles up until seed set. Broccoli is generally picked before this stage. Stems of the main shoot however are only high in nutrients up until "booting" where the head and flowers form. But most supermarkets do not sell this part of the plant.

As to the eating it. You are eating the standard bland BBing meals in the standard bland ways for every single meal with little to no variation. Is broccoli really the problem? The reason to eat broccoli is not just for nutrients. Broccoli goes some way towards avoiding several problems with the BBing and especially contest diet. Most are overloaded with protein in either liquid or meat form. This is both acidic and low in fibre. This means that you need the fibrous stems just to keep yourself regular (although by the way most BBers talk they don't know what regular is).

I've never really understood why people need to eat quite such a bland diet, meal after meal, day after day while BBing.

RecklessJohnny

RecklessJohnny

Haha.. well I work at an Italian restaurant and it is very easy accessible for me each day. Thanks for the info Tim! I think I am just going to have to survive the horrible taste and man up with eating the entire thing :)

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Glad to see you finally jumped on the boards brother! I dont think there is any problem skipping stems, just means you have to eat more of the head of the broccoli!

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i like the stems the most but thats just me i guess. Stems are where the pro biotic are largely found as well. But Tim makes an excellent point about the high protein and low fiber being the contents of a precontest diet. You should eat the Fleurette's as well bc they help with cleaning out the intestines.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Maybe you are overcooking? I steam mine lightly and find it very tasty

bizarro306

bizarro306

hmm...... yum!... steamed broc. an ketchup!santasmile dont knock it till youve tried it.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just eat it. Broccoli is good as a filler from a bodybuilding perspective, from a general health perspective it contains phytochemicals and minerals we need. Both should go hand in hand, but unfortunately they dont.