• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MIDBack

GetSize

GetSize

I was looking at a couple of pics I recently took and noticed my mid back is lacking thickness. This is especially noticable in my rear lat spread. I'm wide but my mid back doesnt pop out. I deadlift, and barbell row regularly and incorporate seated close grip rows and Tbar rows. What exercises do you guys use for mid back? I'm thinking more Tbars and upright rows for lower traps.

I attached a pic of Mark Alvisi rear lat spread showing how his mid back is fully developed. Any thoughts??

Attachments

• mark1.gif
    mark1.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 121
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DL, Goodmorning, BB rows, Tbar rows, chins/pullups a few good exercises

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've had the same problem with middle back too man. Are you using an overhand grip on the BB rows? Also, I would suggest using a close grip on the T Bar if possible. Make sure to get your chest down on this exercise, and try to get close to parallel with the floor. Pull in with your elbows, and really really focus on contracting your scapula to push all the focus on the middle back.

You were on my FST-7 thread correct? Maybe middle back is a good way to start your FST-7 program. It's good for bringing up lagging bodyparts. After you finish your back routine, use the FST-7 set on back thickness.

GetSize

GetSize

I've had the same problem with middle back too man. Are you using an overhand grip on the BB rows? Also, I would suggest using a close grip on the T Bar if possible. Make sure to get your chest down on this exercise, and try to get close to parallel with the floor. Pull in with your elbows, and really really focus on contracting your scapula to push all the focus on the middle back.

You were on my FST-7 thread correct? Maybe middle back is a good way to start your FST-7 program. It's good for bringing up lagging bodyparts. After you finish your back routine, use the FST-7 set on back thickness.

Yea i was def going to use the FST-7 for mid back. When I BBrow i use a handover grip not an underhand grip which will target more of my upper/mid back area. Im going to use your suggestion and make sure i'm basically parallel. Normally i'm a little more upright and I feel my lower lats working more. Also do you like using 25lbs plates for tbar or 45lbs?

Thx for the reply guys.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yea That sounds like a good plan of attack. Just make sure when you go more pallel, that you don't round your lower back. Keep it straight! I'm sure this is obvious, But it's an easy way to get hurt. By the way, you're completely right with the uprightness working your lower lats. I see all these guys at my gym load up the Tbar with wayyy too much weight, and its obvious because when they pull it, they can't get parallel, they're just about standing completely upright. To no surprise, they're backs all have zero middle thickness.

I use 45 pound plates for the T bar at my gym. But if for some reason you have to use 25's because of the way the T bar comes up when you pull it, go for it. Remember to tell us how the FST-7 works for you! I'm really curious.

GetSize

GetSize

Yea That sounds like a good plan of attack. Just make sure when you go more pallel, that you don't round your lower back. Keep it straight! I'm sure this is obvious, But it's an easy way to get hurt. By the way, you're completely right with the uprightness working your lower lats. I see all these guys at my gym load up the Tbar with wayyy too much weight, and its obvious because when they pull it, they can't get parallel, they're just about standing completely upright. To no surprise, they're backs all have zero middle thickness.

I use 45 pound plates for the T bar at my gym. But if for some reason you have to use 25's because of the way the T bar comes up when you pull it, go for it. Remember to tell us how the FST-7 works for you! I'm really curious.

I most def will. Im very interested in seeing the results myself. I found out the date of my next show so now its time to go to work. But I am going to try those Tbar rows the way you explained for sure. I always thought that it was mainly for lats. So my mind to muscle connection was in my lats not my middle back. Also I'm going to have to be more parallel to the floor. I have questions about FST-7 maybe you may know but i'm going to post in your thread Thx dude

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seems like you are sticking to basic exercises, which is good. So, the only thing left would be to make sure you are doing the movements correctly. Take a look in Creator's Tip thread and look at the 1st couple of pages regarding proper scapula depression and retraction.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ x2

Also the type of rowing exercise will make SFA difference. It is the way you are able to recruit and contract correctly that will hit the middle back (= traps).

Another point: can people stop raving about FST-7 and actually post some of these articles about it? I really don't care how much of a pump it gives you (pump does not equal hypertrophy). I want to know what the training method actually involves.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ x2

Also the type of rowing exercise will make SFA difference. It is the way you are able to recruit and contract correctly that will hit the middle back (= traps).

Another point: can people stop raving about FST-7 and actually post some of these articles about it? I really don't care how much of a pump it gives you (pump does not equal hypertrophy). I want to know what the training method actually involves.

Specific "training programs" are over-rated, IMO. I really think it comes down to doing basic, compound movements correctly more than anything.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good thread. I think I also need to focus more on going parrallel with t-bar rows instead of being somewhat angled upright. I'll have to try this with less weight.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Ive essentially stopped doing BB rows and T-bar rows in favour of bench rows. I feel i have to use more of the muscles in my back in order to get the weight up rather than the rest of my body

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive essentially stopped doing BB rows and T-bar rows in favour of bench rows. I feel i have to use more of the muscles in my back in order to get the weight up rather than the rest of my body
I completely agree.

Bench rows have two advantages: no body english to lift the weight; less strain on the lower back.

TJ said:
Specific "training programs" are over-rated, IMO. I really think it comes down to doing basic, compound movements correctly more than anything.
Agreed. The only time specificity comes to the fore is when you have an imbalance/injury. "Lagging" bodyparts are usually best fixed by not doing the same stuff you always do and learning to use the right muscles to do the exercise.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
getsize your excersise selection appears to be great. if you're still having problems i recommend doing what bambam said, do these movements with your body more at a 90 degree angle with less weight, you'd be amazed how much harder your back works and how much less body english you'll use to move the weight. i rather recently discovered this for myself through trial and error. i was never a fan of bent BB rows as i never felt much of a pump or good contraction from them. so i dropped from 315lb down to 225lb and did them with the most perfect form you'll find......HUGE difference. i'm now building up slowly and still won't go heavier than 275lb, with perfect form, so i get that all important contraction and lat isolation. try it, i bet it might be your missing link.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^^^ i'll have to try it at a 90 degree angle for bent rows,
back is a huge weakpoint of mine, but i know i havent been cursed of not ever having a decent back, my dad had huge lats, detail and all
can only hope & find the exercises that will trigger growth for me

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^^^ i'll have to try it at a 90 degree angle for bent rows,
back is a huge weakpoint of mine, but i know i havent been cursed of not ever having a decent back, my dad had huge lats, detail and all
can only hope & find the exercises that will trigger growth for me

i'm usually all for using really heavy weight, but when it comes to back you have to use the right combination of both form and weight. a lot of guys slaughter the form of the t-bar and bent BB row with excessive weight. try it i bet it works, no joke i hated BB rows and thought they did nothing, then i did them right, big difference.

GetSize

GetSize

Thx guys.....alot of you know your stuff. If anyone has the thread link to Creators tips that would be awesome. For back I always sticked to the basics because thats what worked. But when doing TBars I've always was focusing on my lats specially lower lats. So I need to focus on contracting my middle back. Does anyonelike dumbell rows on a incline bench? I've seen this done before and tried I just dont like the mechanics of the movement. But it seems that it would help stimulate the midback.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thx guys.....alot of you know your stuff. If anyone has the thread link to Creators tips that would be awesome. For back I always sticked to the basics because thats what worked. But when doing TBars I've always was focusing on my lats specially lower lats. So I need to focus on contracting my middle back. Does anyonelike dumbell rows on a incline bench? I've seen this done before and tried I just dont like the mechanics of the movement. But it seems that it would help stimulate the midback.

There's really not a certain movement that will force the upper back to work. It just comes down to how you do the movement.

Last edited by a moderator:
GetSize

GetSize

GREAT THANKS!

Last edited by a moderator:
philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Imo it depends on your level. An elite athlete can benefid from specific training.

You always need a good base to start with so for the first 5-8 years the basics + some extra work should be more than enough

Powerlifter MB

Powerlifter MB

The muscle you're referring to is the trapezius(trap) as well as erector spinae (lower back muscles). Mine exploded from 5 sets of heavy bb rows. Chins will hit primarily the lats with a neutral grip and teres with an overhand grip.

Bent over BB rows are the best exercise for the trap IMO.