Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
  • The Facebook Platform
  1. Back To Top    #1
    Mecca Maniac

Does "fear of losing" motivate you?

In my bodybuilding documentary Raising the Bar, Dave Pulcinella, a few weeks before the big contest, answers the question "What motivates you?" this way...

"What motivates me?? Fear of losing. It CAN NOT happen!"

Many other BB competitors have told me that they identify with that statement. What strikes me as strange is that it mentions "losing", a negative concept that I didn't think competitors would embrace.

And then I read in Time magazine that Rachel Maddow, the tough, controversial and very successful MSNBC talk show host admits that, "...her driving force is a fear of failure"!

I began to wonder if that was a motivating force for many successful people. Is that true for you or do you find motivation other ways?

Similar Bodybuilding Threads:

Have you seen Raising the Bar?

•   Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Body building advertising
      Your Body building,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Muscle Building Community

Support Muscle Mecca and Visit Our Sponsors

2. Back To Top    #2
    i dont compete in any competitions YET.... but for me my motivation is to not be like the rest of society and i love the power of stength sports and the power that your body can potentially hold. A big motivator for me is seeing stongmen flip cars and it amazes me that a mans body can achive mind boggling things and getting as close as i can to being the best my genetics alow me to be

Does "fear of losing" motivate you?[/

“I think about the meaning of pain. Pain is personal. It really belongs to the one feeling it. Probably the only thing that is your own. I like mine.”

“I believe that one defines oneself by reinvention. To not be like your parents. To not be like your friends. To be yourself. To cut yourself out of stone."

~ Henry Rollins

3. Back To Top    #3
    I don't fear losing to a guy that's better than me.As long as you've done your best then there's really nothing more you can do.

Get Ripped, Get Laid.