• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Weight Belt

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

For those of you who use a weight belt, what do you recommend, 4" or 6". Lately, as my strength is increasing, I am lifting heavier weight, which has left my lower back somewhat sore. I just don't want the belt to inhibit any movement. What do you guys recommend?

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i dont use a belt unless i go really really heavy. when i do use a belt i just use whatever they have at my gym. they have both 4" and 6". i usually use a 6" though. my lower back does get sore too but i just deal with it. i like lifting with a belt even though it might turn bad.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I rarely use a belt anymore but when I do I like the 4 inch much better. The bigger ones seem to pinch sometimes and that just upsets me.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I normally wouldn't use one, but I guess it's just a precaution. I used to play basketball and my lower back would give me trouble from time to time. 4" sounds like a safe bet.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would only use a belt for very very heavy sets. It is crucial that you build up that intra-abdominal pressure by developing your own core strength. Even with a bugged back, I would recommend getting comfortable doing most of your sqatting with out one.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I posted an article on weightlifting belts in the articles section that you should read.

Basically weight belts do not provide any safety or lifting benefit short of max sets. And I'm not talking sets of 3 or more reps.

So the benefits of the weightbelt are limited and should be chosen to suit your midsection. At a guess the smaller thickness will usually be better.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I don't disagree with you, but it seems like every 2-3 weeks I tweak or strain my lower back. I pay very close attention to strict form, so it's not like I'm hurling the weight around irresponsibly. If you're saying the weight belt will not directly benefit those tweaks/strains, then I suppose there is no reason for one.

mexiFRO

mexiFRO

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I went from a 6" to a 4" belt and will never go back. I usually use it when I do sets from 4-7 rep range just to be safe. its a comfort thing.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Maybe I'll just stick with the heavy rep, 2-4 rep range, just to be safe.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Weight belts = crutch
Straps = crutch

I liked 4" but I'm a youngstaaaa

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I'm not using the belt to make lifting the weight seem easier. I'm using it so my lower doesn't keep straining, plain and simple. Straps, IMO, are the greatest thing invented. If that's considered a crutch, so be it.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When you use something like that, core and lumbar stabilizing muscles are inactivated which will lead to atrophy. Sounds like no bid deal, but you'd be surprised how active the core and lumbar are in most lifts. A key component to multi-joint lifts is a developed core.

Using a weight belt religiously, your core muscles atrophy and weaken. Using straps, your forearm strength weakens. Sure, you're accessible to higher weight...but when you lose your straps and they aren't available for a while, you will notice a strength deficit.

I understand your thought process on such a diverse topic, but accessories such as the one's discussed play a huge role in forearm and core strength. Just mine, and others thoughts on here as well.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

That's a great point, and one I would have never known before, so thanks. So...should I lower the weight to prevent any lower back aggrivation, or could it be something else?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's a great point, and one I would have never known before, so thanks. So...should I lower the weight to prevent any lower back aggrivation, or could it be something else?

Nope, just don't use a belt unless you're doing a compund lift for a 3 rep max and below. If you need to lower weight, that's fine, it's still progressive no matter which way you look at it.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your a really strong fella going for a 1RM on squat, I dont think it is a big deal at all to use a belt. It becomes a problem when you start using a weight belt for every workout and every exercise. I use a weight belt for my heaviest sets of squats, but i get plenty of the core work with my other sets of squats, bent over rows, etc. A crutch? Yes for that one set it is a crutch, but I will not atrophy from that one set, this I can assure anyone. Neccessary? Perhaps, perhaps not.
As far as straps go, I use them for every back workout because I can move more weight with them and I feel a much better connection with my back as I feel I "pull with my elbows" better. I dont use them for every set but I do for my heavy ones and I attribute some of my back development to them. Plain and simple, you just cant grasp some really heavy bars without straps and still have plenty of forearm left for later on in the workout.

Dont rely on these things, but if you chose to use them, use them wisely.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i only use my belt for deadlift sets over 400lbs and i use a 4" belt..

had a 6" before but the 4" is waaaay better :)

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I don't plan on using the belt except for heavy weight. Like I said before, I've had some lower back issues, and I'm hoping the belt will help prevent some of those issues, if nothing else. I don't rely on it for anything, simply a precautionary measure. Thanks for everyones suggestions, I'm taking them all into consideration.

mexiFRO

mexiFRO

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your a really strong fella going for a 1RM on squat, I dont think it is a big deal at all to use a belt. It becomes a problem when you start using a weight belt for every workout and every exercise. I use a weight belt for my heaviest sets of squats, but i get plenty of the core work with my other sets of squats, bent over rows, etc. A crutch? Yes for that one set it is a crutch, but I will not atrophy from that one set, this I can assure anyone. Neccessary? Perhaps, perhaps not.
As far as straps go, I use them for every back workout because I can move more weight with them and I feel a much better connection with my back as I feel I "pull with my elbows" better. I dont use them for every set but I do for my heavy ones and I attribute some of my back development to them. Plain and simple, you just cant grasp some really heavy bars without straps and still have plenty of forearm left for later on in the workout.

Dont rely on these things, but if you chose to use them, use them wisely.

That is pretty much when I use my belt and straps. I know my forearms might not be the strongest but they hold their own.

Belt:
Deadlifts
Barbell Rows
T-bar Rows

Straps:
Deadlifts
Anyother back exercise when my forearms just can't take anymore

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When you use something like that, core and lumbar stabilizing muscles are inactivated which will lead to atrophy. Sounds like no bid deal, but you'd be surprised how active the core and lumbar are in most lifts. A key component to multi-joint lifts is a developed core.
There are different opinions about this subject.

The Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research: Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 384–388.
The Use of Lumbar-Supporting Weight Belts While Performing Squats: Erector Spinae Electromyographic Activity

JEFFREY A. BAUER and CORY CARTER
University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 32611
ANDREW FRY
University of Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee 38152

ABSTRACT
This study sought to analyze the effects of subjects' wearing weightlifting lumbar support belts on surface electromyographic recordings of the erector spinae muscle group while the subject executed parallel squats. Ten healthy college-age men with weightlifting experience participated in this study. Participants completed a total of 6 repetitions of high-bar parallel back-squats at loads equaling 60% of their 1 repetition maximum. Experimental conditions required subjects to perform 6 squats, 3 while wearing a belt and 3 without. Electromyographic electrodes recorded muscle activity at 800 Hz on both the right and left erector spinae at the lumbar (L3–L5) and thoracic (T5–T7) regions during all lifts.

The results indicate that subjects' mean erector spinae activity was greater (p < 0.0125) in the lumbar region of the spine when wearing weight belts (*258 SD; 69.0 analog-to-digital units) during squatting exercises than the mean activity in subjects who were not wearing weight belts (*235 SD; 71.3 analog-to-digital units).

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's one study during one instance. A belt is a supporting agent, if you consistently use a belt or wraps, when you take them off it won't be the same.