• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Clean Bulk help

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am trying to decide if i want to start a clean bulk or just try and bulk and then cut down during the spring.

Im scared that if a just bulk up and then try to cut down that i will loose all my size that i have gained from my bulk. i know that i will not be able to keep all my size but i dont want to become really small after trying to cut down.

what do yall suggest would be a better option for me? if you think a clean bulk how do yall think i should go about starting it?

my stats:
6'2"
220lbs.
i would say about 20-23% BF(i think im not really sure)

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I Would go for a Light cut, just to trim the bodyfat% down afew to a cleaner base or till your happy then start the clean bulk.

starting from a cleaner base you will be able to notice better gains with less bf %
and you feel alot better

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Ditto. If you are over 15% BF then you need to lean down before you bulk again. I forget the %, but if you are anything other than lean when you bulk then you end up preferentially laying down fat instead of muscle.

Aim for a cut to low teens then a bulk that doesn't have you go over about 14%.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agreed.... I think too that optimally, it's best to be at the 12% body fat range for an insulin sensitivity standpoint, and also I theorize that hormonal levels will be more optimal at that range.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks guys for the help

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do daves diet and his recommended cardio

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do daves diet and his recommended cardio

Didnt you try it for awhile, what were your thoughts on it,

Only because im gonna do a diet soon as i edge my way back into training again, to start off at a cleaner base

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Didnt you try it for awhile, what were your thoughts on it,

Only because im gonna do a diet soon as i edge my way back into training again, to start off at a cleaner base

Yea, It worked great. You have to follow it to the T. I hate seeing people complain about their progress when they're not doin the diet exactly how dave lays it out.

If you want try somethin unique and u got the time. Go old school and try a double split training 6 days on 1 day off, with mod carb/low fat. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0KFY/is_9_25/ai_n27410470/pg_15?tag=artBody;col1

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Im scared that if a just bulk up and then try to cut down that i will loose all my size that i have gained from my bulk. i know that i will not be able to keep all my size but i dont want to become really small after trying to cut down.

You won't lose muscle if you diet correctly, which if that's where the problem lies, we can help In fact, you actually give an illusory of being "larger" on a cut than a bulk.

Anyone can have mass, it's how they sculpt it that makes everyone different!

my stats:
6'2"
220lbs.
i would say about 20-23% BF

Hmm, either you've miscalculated, or your lean tissue has been cloaked by the fat tissue. Though the higher the BF%, the less receptive you become to insulin! Which for bodybuilders, wouldn't be the best option.

Go on a cut. Make a separate thread and we'll go about it there, bro. Good luck!

Kev

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ thanks KM. i dont know if ive miscalvulated or not on my BF ive never really had it done before. im going by my scale that i have that is "supposed" to find your BF. i know it is a long shot but im going to try and get somebody to calculate it for me.

im going to start cutting in the next couple of weeks and when i do i will start a new thread to get yalls thoughts and advice.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Don't rely on BF scales. Mine tell me I'm about 10% higher in BF than I actually am. Another set at work tell me I'm about 2% lower than I am.

Skin folds aren't much better by the way. Best bet is to go by an average of several types of measure, or by how defined you look in the mirror.

muscleboy88

muscleboy88

what i do from time to time is fat free milk with my shake to add a couple more cals.