• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

First Competition...need help to put on mass

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

im 70kg now, im looking to put on as much muscle as i can in a year.

what kind of stuff should i be eating. i want to narrow it down to a few things..

appreciate the help. :methman:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lean proteins= chicken,fish,eggs, lean meat, shakes
Clean Carbs= potatoes,rice,pasta,yams,oatmeal,wholegrain breads
Healthy fats= Olive oil,nuts, omega 3,6,9..

And lots of it!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just judging by your photo, you seem to be naturally lean. Take PV's advice, but above all else, just make sure you are getting calories in. Keep it clean for the most part, but if you need to go sloppy for a couple meals every now and again, I think it would help more than it would hurt. Find out how many calories you burn in a day, and make sure that the calories you take in exceeds this number by approximately 500.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ yeah, forgot to mention the calorie surplus... eat big and train hard! and don't forget rest! really important!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im 70kg now, im looking to put on as much muscle as i can in a year.

what kind of stuff should i be eating. i want to narrow it down to a few things..

appreciate the help. :methman:

I posted an article in the article section that pretty much sums up the basics. http://www.musclemecca.com/showthread.php/tailoring-nutrient-intake-exercise-goals-41461.html

Keep a food diary so you know exactly how much you actually eat and of what. Keep track of the macros and make sure you are not eating too much in excess of your required maintenance level. Too much and you just get fat, too little and lean gains are limited. The diary will help you get a feel for this requirement.

A lot of people recommend chicken, broccoli and rice as staples. Personally I think these people must like eating cardboard. As long as you aren't having a lot of processed food then what you eat should have a fair bit of variety. Fruits and Veges are your friends and will give you vitamins, minerals, nutrients and fibre :thumbsup2:

P

power

Lean red meat, plenty ot it!

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
alot of great advice looks like your covered!

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

THANKS ALOT GUYS - appreciate that. im a really hard gainer. ive hovered around the heavy 60kgs mark, closer to seventy, for almost 3 years. ive gotten bigger yes - but ive always stayed the same weight. but i gotta be honest, i havent been eating "bodybuilder style" its only this year my mate conned me into competing, hence asking valuable advice from guys here. im hoping to get to at least 73kg if im lucky. i can see myself having real difficulty reaching that weight too...

here is what i eat, well im gonna try to eat.

breaky - 300gms oats with a p-shake
midmorning - fettucine pasta alredo sauce with a can of tuna
lunch - whatever
midarvo - protein shake with grinded oats and a banana
evening - fish chicken beef with white rice
before sleep - p-shake with ice cream chocolate sauce and oats.

what you reckon?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ More food less shakes.

Cook your food in advance.
Shakes are only really an advantage prior to and post workout. Convenience the rest of the day just means people can't be bothered cooking or packing food to take with them.

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

should i be eating more??

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ definitely, more meat and try some brown rice, morning add whole eggs to breakfast instead of shakes, shakes pre and post is best idea....when trying ti gain eat lots of whole food and emphasize high calorie meals, try eating some kind of meat ofr lunch and eat more chicken!

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great Advice from above,
sometimes having your meals all planned out & cooked the night before for the following day/s
will help you stay on track with eating on time and eating clean, a cheat meal here and there wont hurt but somewhat aid in a craving fix and helping you stay on your diet.
dont forget water :tiphat:

Protein: Tuna/Fish, Red meats/meats, eggs, protein/casein powder, chicken etc
Carbs: Brown/white rice, wholemeal/white pasta, Wholemeal bread, rice cakes, sweet/normal potatoes, Oats. The list goes on.
Fats: Olive Oil, omega fatts, yolks, nuts.

But making sure your post workout shake is pretty much spot on
while making your own POST Workout shake is alot cheaper and sometimes better.

1 Scoop of whey(30g pro)
X-Amount of Dextrose depending on how much carbs you want from it, roughly i would aim for 50 - 80g's
and good ol H20 Water.

www.Calorieking.com.au is a great website, ive found it very helpful when i was dieting for a show and even during my bulking stages, counting those calories and making sure i was hitting above that i needed to eat each day

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
great adive D , totally forgot to mention the H2O part lolz

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
my advice bro,is the same that the guys mentioned: eat more real food alot more and you'll see your weight going up. :footmouth:

D: that calorie count site is gonna help me thanks!

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

THANKS ALOT PEOPLE. i have now a better understanding of the stuff. i had to start this thread to narrow it down to precise food choices.

holla to my aussie counterpart dridderz!

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
THANKS ALOT GUYS - appreciate that. im a really hard gainer. ive hovered around the heavy 60kgs mark, closer to seventy, for almost 3 years. ive gotten bigger yes - but ive always stayed the same weight. but i gotta be honest, i havent been eating "bodybuilder style" its only this year my mate conned me into competing, hence asking valuable advice from guys here. im hoping to get to at least 73kg if im lucky. i can see myself having real difficulty reaching that weight too...

what you reckon?

Calories, calories, calories! If you're a hard somatotype to work with, then make sure every calorie counts.

One thing to keep in mind: the more ups and downs of your total carb allotment you sculpt into a diet, the less efficient certain nutrients become. Keep carbs complex throughout the day and don't place too much emphasis onto the protein aspect.

Secondly, realize nutrient timing is a key variable to the succession of a bulking diet. The neuroendocrine, digestive and musculatory systems all react differently throughout the day. Although a heightened GLUT4 isn't exceedingly importunated during the evening, you should always refrain from having white rice freely. Not that it will affect your response, but it will inhibit insulin efficiency and eventually decrease your sensitivity to insulin, which is something I'd highly advise you not to do.

here is what i eat, well im gonna try to eat.

breaky - 300gms oats with a p-shake
midmorning - fettucine pasta alredo sauce with a can of tuna
lunch - whatever
midarvo - protein shake with grinded oats and a banana
evening - fish chicken beef with white rice
before sleep - p-shake with ice cream chocolate sauce and oats.

I'm from America, and because we're special and choose not use the SI system, i'm lost lol. Though, I think you should refer to this post:

Keep a food diary so you know exactly how much you actually eat and of what. Keep track of the macros and make sure you are not eating too much in excess of your required maintenance level. Too much and you just get fat, too little and lean gains are limited. The diary will help you get a feel for this requirement.

Like mentioned, keeping a food log is a nice tool. Use it as a reference, so if you're stuck, you can look back on what potentially could be a mistake and fix it. Nice post Timbo!

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

cheers for the info ^^ mate.

problem i dont really know the amount of calories im consuming. lol.

what do you eat to bulk up? give me a days food worth..

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Roughly you wanna have atleast 30grams of protein in each meal
5 - 8 meals a day
300 - 500g carbs
60 - 80g fats?
2 x body weight of protein
Start weighing your foods, write it all down and then jump on the website below and search for it all and add it all up. ill send you a file for microsoft spread page so it will be easier to add it all up for you :tiphat:

700 + calories in each meal
use calorieking.com.au , and plan afew basic meals out, example below

200g Tuna in oil
300g cooked brown/white Rice

150g Oats with 200ml milk
2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites.

150g chicken cooked
250g cooked pasta

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice guideline Driddz, but I'd have to change a couple things, especially for someone like BoneYard.

cheers for the info ^^ mate.

problem i dont really know the amount of calories im consuming. lol.

what do you eat to bulk up? give me a days food worth..

If you're a hardgainer, then it's fine to have an occasional accretion of fat. 100g equates to 900kcals, so if you base that around the energy expended from 1lb of fat (1lb of fat = 3500kcals), then you have nothing to worry about.

To figure out calories is actually really simple:

1g of protein = 4 kcals
1g of carbs = 4kcals
1g of fat = 9kcals

So to monitor calories, you must monitor the macronutrients you take in (protein, carbs and fats). With those totals, multiply each nutrient by what I've listed above.

I'd love to spew out diets dude, but I strongly condemn spoon-feeding information. Especially if someone like you can figure it out, but needs someone to point you in the right decision; which is my goal. Calories during a bulk should be presumably from carbs, not protein. Protein should be at 1g/lb of bodyweight or less in order to remain in a positive nitrogen balance.

...hope this helps!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So what u are saying is that by his wiegt he should only be eating 70kgx2.2=154 grams of protein in the bulk? that seems a bit low for me...i agree with high carbs but not with the protein approach...can u explain why u say this?