• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How to do HIIT for swimming ?

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I just came back from vacations and I seem to have lost at least 3% body fat. I ate just rise and alcohol, zero training but tons of walking to the beach and back home all day. My abs are showing quite a lot and I am deeply happy. I lost some muscle but my new found condition makes me happier it seems.

So, how do I go from here ? I'm back home, and I started eating "right" again. That means tons of shit. All healthy, but still, a lot of calories.

I have begun swimming a lot as a form of extra cardio and I wonder, how can I do HIIT while swimming ? 5 slow laps and then 3 fast ones ? I have no idea how to put it to use in swimming.

HALP PLZ

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's kinda hard to do when swimming, lol..... maybe something like you said, swim 3 laps hard... then do an easy breast stroke, or back stroke for a few laps....

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your pool is anything like the ones I've swum at then you have to pick a lane (Fast, slow, walking). People in the slow lane will get in the way, and people in the fast lane won't appreciate the slow laps.

Maybe a better idea is to do kickboard work then just normal laps. Either way swimming is largely impractical for HIIT and since swimming is non-load bearing I doubt there would be all of the same benefits.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a pool in my house. So I don't have to worry about other people. It IS small though. But I don't mind.

I'll try this tomorrow, tell me if it's good enough:

10 fast laps.
1 min slow.
10 fast laps.
1 min slow.
REPIT till I do 100 fast laps.

Is it any good ? Remember, my pool is small. So it's not a 100 meter lap, more like 5-7 meters.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Holy fuck !!!

If you get the chance... do it people. I feel amazing, almost felt the fat melting away xD

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If it's in your house then that is amazing, do it then for sure.... just pick a point and keep progressing.

Be careful though not to overeat after swimming, especially if the water is cold.

Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2005 Feb;15(1):38-47.Links
Increased caloric intake soon after exercise in cold water.
White LJ, Dressendorfer RH, Holland E, McCoy SC, Ferguson MA.

We examined the acute effect of cold-water temperature on post-exercise energy intake (EI) for 1 h. In a randomized, crossover design, 11 men (25.6 +/- 5 y) exercised for 45 min on a submersed cycle ergometer at 60 +/- 2% VO2max in 33 degrees C (neutral) and 20 degrees (cold) water temperatures, and also rested for 45 min (control). Energy expenditure (EE) was determined using indirect calorimetry before, during, and after each condition. Following exercise or rest, subjects had free access to a standard assortment of food items of known caloric value. EE was similar for the cold and neutral water conditions, averaging 505 +/- 22 (+/- standard deviation) and 517 +/- 42 kcal, respectively (P = NS). EI after the cold condition averaged 877 +/- 457 kcal, 44% and 41% higher (P < 0.05) than for the neutral and resting conditions, respectively. Cold-water temperature thus stimulated post-exercise EI. Water temperature warrants consideration in aquatic programs designed for weight loss.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks IS !!!!

I read about that before. So after swimming I eat a banana "blushes" xD

I am also eating food with at least 2 cups of water. So I get full on water. I really want MOAR conditioning.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was gona say you could run in water that is about waist deep for 1 minute and then swim slowly for 2 minutes and repeat but it looks like you solved your own problem.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was gona say you could run in water that is about waist deep for 1 minute and then swim slowly for 2 minutes and repeat but it looks like you solved your own problem.

Yo, thanks anyway man =3
It's a really good idea for the beach man. Thanks for sharing.