• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

.S. group sues Coke over VitaminWater health claims

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Group sues Coke over VitaminWater health claims

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A U.S. consumer group said on Thursday it filed a class action lawsuit against Coca-Cola Co, accusing the company of making deceptive health claims about its Vitaminwater beverages.

The lawsuit, filed on Wednesday in U.S. District Court in the Northern District of California, comes just weeks after the world’s largest soft drink maker was warned by U.S. health regulators about the way it markets a different product.

Coke called the suit “ridiculous.”

The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) said Coke made a range of claims about Vitaminwater that go beyond those allowed by the Food and Drug Administration.

“Coke markets Vitaminwater as a healthful alternative to soda by labeling its several flavors with such health buzz words as ‘defense,’ ‘rescue,’ ‘energy’ and ‘endurance,’” the group said in a statement.

The company also claims the drinks reduce the risk of chronic disease and eye disease, promote healthy joints and support immune function, CSPI said.

“In fact, according to CSPI nutritionists, the 33 grams of sugar in each bottle of Vitaminwater do more to promote obesity, diabetes and other health problems than the vitamins in the drinks do to perform the advertised benefits listed on the bottles,” the consumer group said.

Coke spokeswoman Diana Garza Ciarlante fired back, saying the suit was a way for the Washington, DC-based group to increase readership of its newsletter.

“Glaceau vitaminwater is clearly and properly labeled and shows the amount of vitamins and calories in the product,” Ciarlante said in a statement.

CSPI said on a conference call it hopes Coke will change its marketing practices. Secondly, a spokesman said the group would like to see consumers reimbursed “if there is a decent way to get money back to people.”

Coke, which had long lagged archrival PepsiCo Inc in the area of noncarbonated drinks, said in May 2007 that it would acquire Vitaminwater maker Glaceau for $4.1 billion.

Coke and Pepsi both sell so-called functional beverages, which they say have vitamins, nutrients or stimulants such as caffeine or guarana.

Coke came under fire in December by the FDA, which said claims Diet Coke Plus includes a variety of vitamins and minerals violate U.S. policy against marketing soda and other snack foods as more nutritious.

Coke shares were down 13 cents at $42.49 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, while Pepsi shares were down $1.05, or 2 percent, at $50.05

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
useless....drink water and milk...and the occasional beer..

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
u mean drink water
all other drinks are extra(ofc not counting sports supplements)

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You can't be serious?

:49: there's nothing wrong with milk in the least. only knock you can put against it is the 12g of sugar per serving. which, if you're opposed to that, you must oppose fruit too :jerkoff1:

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
as long as they don't lie on their nutritional facts, I don't see what the problem is.

if you don't like something, don't buy it.

anyway, Vitaminwater tastes like ass.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
as long as they don't lie on their nutritional facts, I don't see what the problem is.

if you don't like something, don't buy it.

anyway, Vitaminwater tastes like ass.

that's my feeling on it too. if you're too stupid to read the nutriont facts and come to your own conclusions, then tough luck for you.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Water and sometimes milk. All you fucking need. Although, cheating and getting a Big Mac with fries + soda is indeed heavenly.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
useless....drink water and milk...and the occasional beer..

ahem to that, even the beer tho i dont drink beer lulz

i dont mind the odd gatorade here and there with my PWO when i train :iorofl:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm a big fan of beer PWO :D

Actually I'm thinking I'll give up beer. Too many big nights of late.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:49: there's nothing wrong with milk in the least. only knock you can put against it is the 12g of sugar per serving. which, if you're opposed to that, you must oppose fruit too :jerkoff1:

Sugar really doesn't bother me. More like the lactose

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

So you are amoung the 5-10% of european origin people that are lactose intollerant and think the other 90-95% that love the stuff are some how wrong?

Sideline: Interestingly enough, if you don't have European history in your bloodline then rates of lactose intollerance climb pretty quickly to >60%. Having said that though the levels of intollerance can also range and are dependent on intake levels.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Milk yes, from a hot MILF :drools:

B

big_duuude

You can get a digestive enzyme called LACTASE for that, don't remember how long you need to take it though.

Linky to the VitaminWater nutritional info ?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Actually if you read the China study, its the biggest comprehensive study ever done on nutrition, their is a very strong link between diets high in dairy and diabetes. Closer examination links high amounts of diary to killing the beta cells in your pancreas.

Aside from that milk in the US is garbage all the enzymes have been killed and nutrients have been destroyed for the most part. I mean what do u think happens to vitamins when they are heated to 161 degrees for 5 minutes. The enzymes begin dying at 118 degrees so you can kiss them good bye at 161 degrees.

Now if i had access to raw goats milk YUM YUM i would drink that!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually if you read the China study, its the biggest comprehensive study ever done on nutrition, their is a very strong link between diets high in dairy and diabetes. Closer examination links high amounts of diary to killing the beta cells in your pancreas.

Aside from that milk in the US is garbage all the enzymes have been killed and nutrients have been destroyed for the most part. I mean what do u think happens to vitamins when they are heated to 161 degrees for 5 minutes. The enzymes begin dying at 118 degrees so you can kiss them good bye at 161 degrees.

Now if i had access to raw goats milk YUM YUM i would drink that!

Ben please don't make me post science about this again. :shakefist:

Although I do agree that some of the milk companies in the USA are selling crap. That's because they reconstitute it (ever had powdered skim milk?). But under the guidlines for production of milk the pasteurisation and homogenisation process is very good. Unless you wanted to die of food poisoning (have a look at how many people died of this prior to pasteurisation!!! scary stuff. They used to boil milk in order to drink it.)

And also the China study?? If you are refering to the one in Science by Zimmet then tell the whole story. Type 1 Diabetes was associated with early cessation of breast feeding and change to dairy milk products. Not exactly an anti milk as a pro breast feeding thing.....

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Unless you wanted to die of food poisoning (have a look at how many people died of this prior to pasteurisation!!! scary stuff. They used to boil milk in order to drink it.
unlike Australia, the majority of US states still allow people to consume raw milk. The fraction of people who get ill from raw milk is very tiny.

Raw milk is safe and shouldn't be regulated by the government.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ No it just goes largely unnoticed because people will blame something else or not die. Food poisoning is very treatable with broad spectrum antibiotics. Most people don't die as a result.
A prolonged outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections caused by commercially distributed raw milk.
W E Keene, K Hedberg, D E Herriott, D D Hancock, R W McKay, T J Barrett, D W Fleming
J Infect Dis 1997; 176(3):815-818
ICID: 535435
Article type: Original article
IC™ Value: 10.00

A protracted outbreak of Escherichia coli O157:H7 infections was caused by consumption of unpasteurized ("raw") milk sold at Oregon grocery stores. Although it never caused a noticeable increase in reported infections, the outbreak was recognized because of routine follow-up interviews. Six of 16 Portland-area cases reported between December 1992 and April 1993 involved people who drank raw milk from dairy A. By pulsed-field gel electrophoresis (PFGE), E. coli O157:H7 isolates from these cases and from the dairy A herd were homologous (initially, 4 of 132 animals were E. coli O157:H7-positive). Despite public warnings, new labeling requirements, and increased monitoring of dairy A, retail sales and dairy-associated infections continued until June 1994 (a total of 14 primary cases). Seven distinguishable PFGE patterns in 3 homology groups were identified among patient and dairy herd E. coli O157:H7 isolates. Without restrictions on distribution, E. coli O157:H7 outbreaks caused by raw milk consumption can continue indefinitely, with infections occurring intermittently and unpredictably.
Have to remember that infection chances are lowered compared to eggs as infected udders are treated and removed from production. It is usually early onsett or cows who don't show signs that contaminate milk. Eggs the chance is moderate, but as a result you can go years without being individually infected. So milk you could go even longer. Or you could be the one that ends up in emergency on the IV or if you don't get there in time dead.