• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Duality: 500lb squats

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
4 reps.......and yes....i put the 2 1/2ers on

500lb squats for 4 reps. i'm 20 years old and this is my first attempt at it. fast forward to 1:00 to see the actual set.

my first ever attempt at it. i'm pretty happy with it. vid is a little longer than need be, fast forward to the 1:00 mark to get to the actual set.

and i might have more vids coming. a friend of mine who's really into film wants to do some vid recording of myself as i diet for the show/training. he offered to record this so i said, why not?

for those of you who will undoubtedly question something about my form, pause at 2:17-2:18 to address your depth concerns

Last edited by a moderator:
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i already said it on your facebook but great job bro!! that was a really good set.

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very nice jason, very nice :keke:

Good solid lift bro! congrats on the 500lb squat, Looked awesome
Wont be to far away till u fly past blake :rofl3:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Squat deeper boyo! :shakefist: You didn't look to be breaking parallel.

But fairly good effort for the weight all the same.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squat deeper boyo! :shakefist: You didn't look to be breaking parallel.

But fairly good effort for the weight all the same.

i went back and edited it to address this. pause at 2:17-2:18, that IS parallel. there's no other way to describe it. if by breaking parallel you mean going below 90 degrees then you're right, but my legs were at 90 degrees. i'm not going to address this anymore.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
i went back and edited it to address this. pause at 2:17-2:18, that IS parallel. there's no other way to describe it. if by breaking parallel you mean going below 90 degrees then you're right, but my legs were at 90 degrees. i'm not going to address this anymore.

Yeah, I meant below parallel. A competition grade squat in other words.

You should try lifting with a proper powerlifting belt sometime. I've found that once you learn how to use it properly it does wonders for your squats, you brace your core against it and it gives you so much more power.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not bad squatting. I'd like to see it a little deeper and without wraps of course, but that's just me.

Thighs are looking huge too!

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah, I meant below parallel. A competition grade squat in other words.

You should try lifting with a proper powerlifting belt sometime. I've found that once you learn how to use it properly it does wonders for your squats, you brace your core against it and it gives you so much more power.

ah ok agreed. though i have seen some highly suspicious "competition depth" squats done by powerlifters that sometimes didn't even look to be at parallel. but i'm satisfied with the 90 degrees.

Originally posted by tim290280
Not bad squatting. I'd like to see it a little deeper and without wraps of course, but that's just me.

Thighs are looking huge too!

i know your old school and like below parallel but i just don't see the need and i still think taking this to parallel is a legit feat. i also don't have my form down good enough to take something like this below parallel.

i don't know if there's any merit to it, but isn't it true that going below parallel puts the knees in a rather unsafe environment?

thank you though for the comment

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Dude nice vid... glad to see im not the only one moving that much weight.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
i don't know if there's any merit to it, but isn't it true that going below parallel puts the knees in a rather unsafe environment?

Actually that's a fallacy, you put your knees under more pressure by pulling up short. I'll see if I can find the article.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very nice jason, very nice :keke:

Good solid lift bro! congrats on the 500lb squat, Looked awesome
Wont be to far away till u fly past blake :rofl3:

thanks quad wobble

Originally posted by jnutz19
i already said it on your facebook but great job bro!! that was a really good set.

:thumbsup2:

Originally posted by brendan
nicely done.

:borat:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Actually that's a fallacy, you put your knees under more pressure by pulling up short. I'll see if I can find the article.

thank you i'd look forward to reading it. it'd be something i can work towards in the next year (possibly going below parallel) with hopefully the same weight if not more

Originally posted by Samoan-Z

Dude nice vid... glad to see im not the only one moving that much weight.

thanks big guy. i've seen some of your lifting vids and you move it mighty well yourself :tiphat:

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

There is merit to that it's stress full to the knees especially when moving to high weight such as like above 450.

Powerlifter never go that low cuase of it..

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice man! Congrats!! Below 90' or not, Great accomplishment.
what were you listening too?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Duality said:
i know your old school and like below parallel but i just don't see the need and i still think taking this to parallel is a legit feat. i also don't have my form down good enough to take something like this below parallel.

Need is relative. You definitely wouldn't be going ATG with a set of knee wraps on.

Check the link below for my thoughts and stuff on depth. Basically forces are highest/worst when the knee is at 90 degrees. Force increases with depth but shearing actually becomes the biggest issue at around 90 degrees. This does depend on what style you use as well. If your shins are vertical then forces are slightly different as there is more load on the hip joint than the knee. Worth bearing in mind that transferring the force from the knee to the hip is something like a 100 fold jump. That is why I prefer keeping the force off the hip a bit as that force ends up at the lower back. A more weightlifter style squat seems to be the better option.

Samoan said:
There is merit to that it's stress full to the knees especially when moving to high weight such as like above 450.

Powerlifter never go that low cuase of it..
No they go that low because that is how low the knee wraps, suits and judges allow/need you to. If they needed to go lower they would. Have a look at some of the competition vids and you will see some guys don't go near parallel as the judges are more lax on the depth.

Everyone check this out: on squatting depth

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Guys you should know by now that Duality will feverishly defend against any criticism you may have. Just give him "high fives" and "congrats" because that is what he responds to.
Naturally the best critiques come from the outside, but to Duality his critique on himself is better than what anyone else thinks or has to say... or he will have an excuse.

Great squats, weight wise Jason, but they look like your normal "Jason Squats". Still impressive as hell though, if you keep moving up at such a pace for much more you will be right up there with me.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice lift Duality, though I'd take off a plate, and squat lower.... the wraps and belt are fine, this is exactly the kind of set to use them.

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seems like your spotter had a great time with you there. :omgwtf:

anyways.... nice video, have to have balls to stand under a bar with 500lbs.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Need is relative. You definitely wouldn't be going ATG with a set of knee wraps on.

Check the link below for my thoughts and stuff on depth. Basically forces are highest/worst when the knee is at 90 degrees. Force increases with depth but shearing actually becomes the biggest issue at around 90 degrees. This does depend on what style you use as well. If your shins are vertical then forces are slightly different as there is more load on the hip joint than the knee. Worth bearing in mind that transferring the force from the knee to the hip is something like a 100 fold jump. That is why I prefer keeping the force off the hip a bit as that force ends up at the lower back. A more weightlifter style squat seems to be the better option.

No they go that low because that is how low the knee wraps, suits and judges allow/need you to. If they needed to go lower they would. Have a look at some of the competition vids and you will see some guys don't go near parallel as the judges are more lax on the depth.

ahh. good post i wasn't aware of that. i'm not debating at all that ATG is harder and is more impressive, but all i'm saying is that these are legit squats as each rep is at parallel. but i hear you on the ATG squats. something for me to work on :thumbsup2:

Originally posted by Ironslave
Nice lift Duality, though I'd take off a plate, and squat lower.... the wraps and belt are fine, this is exactly the kind of set to use them.

word on the belts and wraps. i never use them on sets that are anything less than maximal effort.

like i said with tim. i agree with you guys that lower is better and it's something i can work towards :2: still though i think my reps were solid for a first effort at it