• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Australia's greatest athlete.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Interesting concept. Shame its more about fun then actual skill testing. Anybody caught it? (Tim,Kurt,Dryden, Chesty Im mainly talking to you. )

Today they had a bench press challenge and it was the biggest joke. They let the AFL player win and he was the only one not touching his chest on repetitions. :iorofl:

For anyone that did catch it lets all laugh out how soccer players demonstrate better bench pressing ability then AFL players. lololol

ready ready ready

Whats softer than a soccer player?
AFL

LOL!

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
One things for sure. If I was testing for australias greatest overall athlete Id pick athletes from a better range of sports.

No Boxer = WTF mates

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I think I heard about this show... the AFL player one the bench press? :49:

Whens it on?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I caught one minute of it.

And it's a bit unfair to cast a shadow over all AFL players just because of one of them. I'm sure if it you walk into any sports clubs gym you'd see the whole gamut of form, from crap to good to excellent, regardless of code.

JS316

JS316

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sounds interesting.. more details..?

Aussies greatest = Sir Don Bradman. Bet if he were around he wouldn't have won the bench press.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
I think I heard about this show... the AFL player one the bench press? :49:

Whens it on?

Worst time slot. They run it at 4:30 on a saturday afternoon, you can catch the re-runs online though.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
I caught one minute of it.

And it's a bit unfair to cast a shadow over all AFL players just because of one of them. I'm sure if it you walk into any sports clubs gym you'd see the whole gamut of form, from crap to good to excellent, regardless of code.

I know its unfair to label all afl players as weaklings and pussies just based on this fairy. Allow me to rectify. All AFl players are softer then soccer players in every known aspect except tim290280. :rofl3:

the testing they did 75% of their bodyweight as many times as they could that doesn't really encourage good form. Like we said in the pm it would of been much nicer to see 1rms considering most of them would of been training for power (it was probably filmed in their off seasons)

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Sounds interesting.. more details..?
They have taken high profile athletes from different Australian sports. Cricket, AFL, League, Union, Athletics, Ironman( and he does also endurance swimming), Soccer, v8 supercars. And they are testing them over 12 different challenges some supposedly specific to each unique sport represented and some just to showcase general skills. I.e they have had a cricket challenge where they had to show they could hit a ball with a cricket bat(which the cricketer won OH really? :p ) , and as discussed they had like an endurance bench press comp. The event choices are questionable though as the so called rugby challenge had 1 on 1 tag style game on the beach...

Aussies greatest = Sir Don Bradman. Bet if he were around he wouldn't have won the bench press.

Don Bradman, definately the best at his chosen sport. He'd be in any non ignorant persons top 10 for most dominant Australian or even World sportsmen of all time. I wouldn't consider him a top athlete though. He'd dominate skill tests but wouldnt perform in any of feats of athletismn.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
W.T.F.?

Someone care to fill the mildly confused expat in?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
It was quite obvious the leaguey would win from the start. They should of chose a better balanced athlete for rugby then blooming lote (i have never swum or played cricket before in my life) tuquri lol. Phil Waugh or George Smith for example

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Ill throw my criteria for judging Australias best athlete see what you guys would think/change

Skill- Over multiple sports (the show isnt doing that bad in this department)
Power- Bench 1rm vs pound for pound, squat 1rm vs pound for pound, punching power perhaps? Perhaps a 1 on 1 sumo wrestling tournament (or if you want something aussie a put a finger in the opponents bum tournament)
Agility- Grid work in race formats etc.
Speed- Races over 40m, 100m, 400m, Hand speed punches in a minute or something i dunno lol.
Fitness- Have the bastards do a triathlon, An ironman, A marathon, etc.

Im pretty sure they are barely touching on any of these in the show. Which makes it fail. :( Score them similairly to how they are now but with my events. What do you think of my events?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ill throw my criteria for judging Australias best athlete see what you guys would think/change

Skill- Over multiple sports (the show isnt doing that bad in this department)
Power- Bench 1rm vs pound for pound, squat 1rm vs pound for pound, punching power perhaps? Perhaps a 1 on 1 sumo wrestling tournament (or if you want something aussie a put a finger in the opponents bum tournament)
Agility- Grid work in race formats etc.
Speed- Races over 40m, 100m, 400m, Hand speed punches in a minute or something i dunno lol.
Fitness- Have the bastards do a triathlon, An ironman, A marathon, etc.

Im pretty sure they are barely touching on any of these in the show. Which makes it fail. :( Score them similairly to how they are now but with my events. What do you think of my events?

Skill would be as easy as doing a training session for each of the sports represented. Footy, kick a ball; cricket, throw down the stumps; racing, drive really fast around a track......... Most with decent hand eye coordination will pick it up and do well.

Power should really be about max strength vs weight. Bench is an obvious choice but I'd prefer the deadlift or squat. Most sports would strength train so form shouldn't be an issue (although as we discussed it will be down the the representative). C&J would be a good one, but some piss weak athlete is likely to complain. Standing jumps (vertical leap, broad jump, etc) would also be a good one as they are selection criteria for athletes and correlate well with athletic ability.

Agility (agreed) the cones, grid work, etc that most footy codes do.

Speed (agreed) short normal and long sprints.

Fitness would have to be a beep test. Every team sport does these at some stage and it is a selection criteria for athletes.

Overall though you can't really compare sports. Soccer players will have great eye-foot coordination but are likely to suck with hand-eye coord. Most sports will be good runners, except car racers. But car racers have to be able to have huge mental and physical endurance. So I can see some athletes coming in dead last but no other sport could fill their position on the playing field. I doubt that there are any soccer players that could jump straight into AFL, rugby, etc. But by the same token the rugby players would be gasping for breathe two minutes into a soccer match and the AFL players would be wanting to grab hold of the ball and crunch someone.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Skill would be as easy as doing a training session for each of the sports represented. Footy, kick a ball; cricket, throw down the stumps; racing, drive really fast around a track......... Most with decent hand eye coordination will pick it up and do well.

Power should really be about max strength vs weight. Bench is an obvious choice but I'd prefer the deadlift or squat. Most sports would strength train so form shouldn't be an issue (although as we discussed it will be down the the representative). C&J would be a good one, but some piss weak athlete is likely to complain. Standing jumps (vertical leap, broad jump, etc) would also be a good one as they are selection criteria for athletes and correlate well with athletic ability.

Agility (agreed) the cones, grid work, etc that most footy codes do.

Speed (agreed) short normal and long sprints.

Fitness would have to be a beep test. Every team sport does these at some stage and it is a selection criteria for athletes.

Overall though you can't really compare sports. Soccer players will have great eye-foot coordination but are likely to suck with hand-eye coord. Most sports will be good runners, except car racers. But car racers have to be able to have huge mental and physical endurance. So I can see some athletes coming in dead last but no other sport could fill their position on the playing field. I doubt that there are any soccer players that could jump straight into AFL, rugby, etc. But by the same token the rugby players would be gasping for breathe two minutes into a soccer match and the AFL players would be wanting to grab hold of the ball and crunch someone.

AKA slapping and pinching.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ We can't all stand around groping each other when you're not standing still.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
^^ you guys like to eat and lick balls though :D

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Anyone see "Last man standing"?

I really liked that.

Is this along those lines?

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Anyone see "Last man standing"?

I really liked that.

Is this along those lines?

Dont think i did see it buddy, got yourself a link or a description by chance?

^^^ agreed tim, sports are too hard to compare but theres always those guys in a chosen sport that you think far out they would go well in (insert other sport) and thats why this premise works (or could work if they did it better)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Certainly are plenty of guys that had to choose which sport they would make a career of. One of the South African cricketers had to choose between Rugby, Cricket, Golf and something else. Apparently he plays golf once a week off a scratch handicap!!! Lleyton Hewitt was supposedly being looked at for AFL (I reckon he would have had to bulk up a lot though). Plenty of guys turned down basketball in Australia because they'd rather play a real sport (John Eels, Dean Cox, etc).

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
John Eels was an awesome footballer! Why give that up to play basketball which wouldn't get him even slightly as much recognition.