• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Stiff Leg Deadlifts and Regular Deadlifts

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Training split that I'm doing right now has Deadlifts on my Shoulder/Trap Day, and Stiff Leg Deadlifts on my Leg day. The two workouts are well spaced apart, but I feel like it's just too many deadlifts in one split. I go pretty heavy on both exercises. Only doing one working set of regular deadlifts, and two working sets of stiff leg deads. I go to failure on the deadlifts. And I go right before failure on SLDL.

Does anyone think doing deadlifts and Stiff leg Deads in the same week is too much if I were to go heavy on both? Should I cycle the exercises maybe? Do stiff leg Deads one week, and Regular Deadlifts the next? Or maybe should I just do one of the exercises in my training split, wait to platau on that exercise, and switch it to the other until I platau on that.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
This was my problem before too. So I stopped doing deadlifts off the floor, and instead did rack deads which I feel works just my back.
(There´s split opinions about how good that works, but it works good for me)
So I was doing rack deads and stiff leg deads, that made my hamstrings grow, and my back aswell.

Right now Im only doing deadlifts off the floor, since I feel my hamstrings get enough from that and squats since I go really deep on those

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I often do both exercises in one week and sometimes do SLDLs twice in a week, but having said that I do train each exercise very different ways. If you're going to do both then make sure you do very different rep ranges. Conventional deads are best (IMHO) done heavy with low reps and SLDL work well with a lighter weight and more reps. If you want to only do one then toss the SLDL and just do the conventional DLs.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
agree with el freako. Do them for different rep schemes and they are fine to do in the same week.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ & ^^ agree with.

If you want to train similar movements or muscle groups in a week then you have to use different rep parameters. I see no benefit to pulling a deadlift from the floor for anything other than low reps. SLDL and RDL have more benefit when done for a higher rep range than this.

THe only problem becomes when you are overusing your lower back in these movements and others (e.g. bent over BB rows on back day). The main issue is the training to failure on exercises using the lower back every time you train. Make sure you are smarter about the way you train. Especially considering that SLDL are for glutes and hammys, deadlifts are whole body, structure your program accordingly.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^,^^,^^^ they three are right.

Not right now, but i've used deads and SLDLs in my weekly routine, deads for low reps and SLDLs high reps and i had no problem. In fact i've never done low rep SLDLs because i find that quite dangerous.
Make sure you don't overuse your lower back when doing regular deadlifts and you'll be ready to go.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would just like to add that constantly training to failure is definitely not the way to go. This will tax your CNS way too much and your progress will go backwards. Like Tim said, your reps should change each week and, in regards to training to failure, it should be done once every several weeks or so. Just make sure you work up to a good strain but still are able to hold good form.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thank you TJ that's good advice. I know my body can't take going to failure on heavy Deads now. I'm goint to be doing my heaviest sets only once every two weeks. I think that's a better alternative.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
^
About training to failure: (this comes from my experience only, no scientific data to back it up, take with a grain of salt)
I trained to failure for several months, meaning that for every exercise i'd do at least one set to failure in the 3-6 rep range. It kinda worked at the begining but then i platued at most bodyparts and later i started feeling tired all day long, noticed loss of concentration etc.
Now i still train heavy, i do almost half my exercise in the 5 rep range, the difference being that i load a weight i _can_ move those times, if it feels "easy" i'd add more the next time and so on. Sometimes I fail at 4th or 3rd rep and that's ok, just don't make it the goal of any set.
The progress in the gym is much better this way and i've never felt tired/confused anymore.
Conclusion: go heavy if that fits your training scheme, just don't aim for failure.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
True Storm, I totally understand what you're saying. Going to Failure on every set will definitely kill a CNS. My Volume is pretty low, and I don't go to failure on every exercie. I try to keep in mind stimulate not annihilate. If I annihilate (spelling?) Every set of every muscle I really feel my CNS go down immediately. I only do a handful of exercises in the 3-6 rep range per week. Overall, I do about maybe 5-8 total sets to failure a week in this rep range. It's all about knowing your body. I know a lot of people could do way more, but that's what I know I can handle.

Thank you for your input Storm, it made me put my training into better perspective.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think training to failure is ok as long as u lower the volume, i myself train HIT, meaning ill do only one working set for each exercise, as long as im doing that i feel im ok, but i remember i used to do 20 sets for each bodypart, every set to failure, and that really killed me in the end. so if u wanna train to failure, volume and frequency must be kept lower.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i think training to failure is ok as long as u lower the volume, i myself train HIT, meaning ill do only one working set for each exercise, as long as im doing that i feel im ok, but i remember i used to do 20 sets for each bodypart, every set to failure, and that really killed me in the end. so if u wanna train to failure, volume and frequency must be kept lower.

:deadhorse:

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great points so far. To continue the discussion:

If there's any exercise that will strain your nervous system, it's deadlifts. People are different and have higher tolerances than others, but for the most part, unless you periodically deload you're going to drain. Personally, I don't see a problem with the rotating scheme you mentioned so I'd give that a try before anything else. Based on the your avatar I assume you compete, so I'm hoping you have a tight grip on your diet. Make sure your diet coincides with your training regime and adjust your caloric intake according to your energy exertion.

Scientifically speaking, the higher the demand for a particular movement the more motor units that must be activated to complete the lift. Multijoint exercises such as benching, squats and deadlifts require the highest amount of energy thus enabling the highest amount of motor units. This is taxing and will play a toll on your mood, motivation and other neurological factors expressed throughout the day. So moral of the story, listen to your body.

By any arbitrary chance, if you're dieting down maybe try a similar concept postcompetition when your influx of calories is higher. Good luck bro.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Great points so far. To continue the discussion:

If there's any exercise that will strain your nervous system, it's deadlifts. People are different and have higher tolerances than others, but for the most part, unless you periodically deload you're going to drain. Personally, I don't see a problem with the rotating scheme you mentioned so I'd give that a try before anything else. Based on the your avatar I assume you compete, so I'm hoping you have a tight grip on your diet. Make sure your diet coincides with your training regime and adjust your caloric intake according to your energy exertion.

Scientifically speaking, the higher the demand for a particular movement the more motor units that must be activated to complete the lift. Multijoint exercises such as benching, squats and deadlifts require the highest amount of energy thus enabling the highest amount of motor units. This is taxing and will play a toll on your mood, motivation and other neurological factors expressed throughout the day. So moral of the story, listen to your body.

By any arbitrary chance, if you're dieting down maybe try a similar concept postcompetition when your influx of calories is higher. Good luck bro.
:umwtf:
My brain just assploded...

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@bulkboy: I agree on all accounts.

@KM: Great points. I do compete, and yes diet is absolutely a huge part of my training/life in general. Physiologically, I feel sore as hell from deadlifts for a couple days. But I try to minimize that as much as possible with adaquete sleep, enough recovery time between workout days, lowering my overall volume on exercises which work the lower back, and of course a surplus of calories, especially protein. My diet is fine, but in the future I may add in a little bit more protein. My mood is fine, but like you said I listen to my body. I know exactly how I feel when I'm overtrained, or drained. I know it down to a science. So when I feel that I will readjust any variable I see fit. Rest, workload, Diet, etc.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good to hear. The lumbar, lower back area is probably the slowest recovering muscle in your body so that's perfectly normal. I'm an advocate of moderate protein-high carb diets during the offseason but if you feel protein gives you that feeling of restoration, then by all means, continue doing it. The goal of bodybuilding is figuring out your body and being able to adjust certain variables, right?

Keep doing what you're doing bro.