• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

pain just above the left elbow

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

hey guys i dont know if any of u experience this but ... everytime i do flat dumbbell press(heavy) or like skull crushers for triceps with the bar, i have this sharp pain just above my left elbow, like a vein obstructing it or .. i dont know .... anyone knows why this is ?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Strained tricep maybe?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I was hoping for pictures of Pains left elbow lool.

On topic though, it sounds like a tricep problem. Go to a physio and get it checked out.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1) See a sports doc if it is sharp pain
2) Stop wanking so much
3) Stop doing the exercises that cause the pain

At a guess you have something similar to myself; light frame and high muscle bellies. This means that you notice crap form or crap exercises more than others. Skull crushers and a lot of other extension based exercises are really hard on the elbow. So you end up overloading the tendons and possibly ligaments there, which is where the pain comes from.

It shouldn't be happening on bench, so your form is likely out unless you have had a previous elbow injury or you get pain everytime you go to the gym. If you have been ignoring the pain for a week or so you need to drop anything related to pressing and triceps. Bench should be fine with good form but steer clear of most tricep exercises with DB's or BB's.

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

it is probably the ligament or a tendon there ... but i still dont understand why it is happening when i do flat dumbbell press. i dont think its the tricep, its like a nerve right above the elbow, which hurts like hell.. but thanks for the help .. i shld show the doc maybe.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What I'm saying is the tricep exercises aggrievate the tendons. Then every time they are in use they flare up again. Unless of course your bench form is terrible.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
learn to put the stress of the weight on your muscle not on your joints so much. Train lighter than you are the motion should be under your control both ways.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it is probably the ligament or a tendon there ... but i still dont understand why it is happening when i do flat dumbbell press. i dont think its the tricep, its like a nerve right above the elbow, which hurts like hell.. but thanks for the help .. i shld show the doc maybe.

There is very siple test to ruleout Tennis Elbow... go throw the motion of hitting a tennis back hand :) ... if it hurts like hell around your elbow and its painful to grip things tightly .... then you probably do have tennis elbow :omgwtf: if it doesnt then TRUST ME you are one lucky guy because Tennis Elbow is a bi*ch

showing to the Dr. sounds like a good idea though

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In most cases I have seen this it is tendonitis, which is inflammation of the tendon from over exertion (usually). If you go to the dr I can tell you that he will tell you to back off and will try to proscribe an anti-inflammatory. Instead try fish oil, I had a guy with the same problem take that and it helped him. As well as backing of the heavy weights and exercises that triggered the pain. Turned out he was going to heavy and eventually got stronger without the pain.

madakira

madakira

I am going to go with tendonitis also, since I had it back a few months ago. Pain right above my elbow (almost on). Doc said it was tendonitis and told me to lay off heavy movements and any movements that caused any pain. Of course I was stubborn and did not, and it just took that much longer to heal.

shivsiddh

shivsiddh

yeah, i am gonna tkae some fish oils, and go light for a while and see how it goes from there, cause like i said, when i go light, it doesnt hurt

big barry

big barry

Could be muscular. I recommend a deep tissue massage, you will be able to tell after one session. I had a similar problem about a year ago, had 1 session and it went