• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Cassel/Vrabel traded to Chiefs

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
congrats Tech :gaysign:

Kansas City, MO (Sports Network) - Kansas City and New England finalized a major trade on Saturday, a deal that will send quarterback Matt Cassel and linebacker Mike Vrabel to the Chiefs in exchange for a second-round draft pick.

The deal is contingent on both players passing physicals, but it will also reunite both with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, who left his position as the Patriots vice president of player personnel to take the vacancy in Kansas City last month.

"I have a long history with both players," said Pioli in a statement. "Mike and Matt are men that I respect both personally and professionally. I look forward to having them as new members of the Chiefs family."

The Chiefs will likely negotiate a new long-term deal with Cassel, who was slapped with the franchise tag by the Patriots. He accepted the tender earlier this month and would earn $14.651 million for the 2009 season, an average of the top five salaries at quarterback.

Cassel made a name for himself in 2008 after taking over for an injured Tom Brady in the season-opener. He helped the Patriots to a record of 11-5, including 10-5 in his 15 starts, but New England did not qualify for the playoffs.

A seventh-round pick of the Patriots in 2005, the 26-year-old Cassel threw for 3,693 yards with 21 touchdowns and just 11 interceptions in 16 games. He had thrown a total of 39 passes in his first three seasons as Brady's backup.

In addition to his backup status with New England, Cassel was also the backup to a pair of Heisman Trophy winners -- Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart -- at Southern California.

Vrabel has played in 176 games, including 110 starts, in a 12-year career with New England and Pittsburgh. He played the first four years of his career with the Steelers before spending the past eight with the Pats.

The former third-round draft choice out of Ohio State managed just four sacks with New England in 2008, one season after posting a career-high 12 1/2 sacks and being named to his first career Pro Bowl.

Vrabel, who will turn 34 prior to the start of the 2009 season, will help one of the NFL's worst pass rushes of all-time. The 2-14 Chiefs posted a league- low 10 sacks in 2008, the worst such figure since the statistic was first recorded.

The Akron, Ohio native has accumulated 681 tackles (453 solo), 51 sacks, 11 interceptions, 16 forced fumbles and seven fumble recoveries. He is also a threat on offense, having served as an occasional tight end in goal line situations, scoring eight touchdowns on the same number of receptions from 2002 through 2007. He also has two scores in the playoffs during his career, with both of those coming in Super Bowl wins.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

well,

lets say the Patriots HAD a great backup for Brady.. i don't wanna know whats going to happen if Brady gets popped again :49:

we just signed 2 bad motherfuckers yesterday..

Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall.. just what we needed. Derrick Dockery is coming back too.. thats going to be a great season if Campbell does his job. :thumbsup2:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well,

lets say the Patriots HAD a great backup for Brady.. i don't wanna know whats going to happen if Brady gets popped again :49:

we just signed 2 bad motherfuckers yesterday..

Albert Haynesworth and DeAngelo Hall.. just what we needed. Derrick Dockery is coming back too.. thats going to be a great season if Campbell does his job. :thumbsup2:

i know. this is upsetting. brady better hold up :bball:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of people are bashing the move on the Patriots part, but I think it was a decent deal. They probably couldn't get a first round pick (or else they would have taken it), so they get a very high second round one.

Vrabel is also getting up there, and chances are the pats would have cut him anyways. He was due 2 million in base salary, but his cap hit if they cut him would have still been 2.3 million I believe.... now there is no cap hit.

They also now have a 18.89 million dollars extra they can use to sign another player (Cassel's 14.59 million plus Vrabel's 4.3 million)...

I've heard rumors (which are probably just that) that the Patriots are talking about landing Julius Peppers.... Duality, I think you'd agree that the Patriots would be better off with Peppers, and whoever they get with a high second round pick (where there is usually still a considerable amount of talent left), than they would a backup quarterback.

Good deal for both teams.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Step 1.) Cripple their starter
Step 2.) Steal their new starter
Step 3.) Lulz.

2vuj72u-1.jpg

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A lot of people are bashing the move on the Patriots part, but I think it was a decent deal. They probably couldn't get a first round pick (or else they would have taken it), so they get a very high second round one.

Vrabel is also getting up there, and chances are the pats would have cut him anyways. He was due 2 million in base salary, but his cap hit if they cut him would have still been 2.3 million I believe.... now there is no cap hit.

They also now have a 18.89 million dollars extra they can use to sign another player (Cassel's 14.59 million plus Vrabel's 4.3 million)...

I've heard rumors (which are probably just that) that the Patriots are talking about landing Julius Peppers.... Duality, I think you'd agree that the Patriots would be better off with Peppers, and whoever they get with a high second round pick (where there is usually still a considerable amount of talent left), than they would a backup quarterback.

Good deal for both teams.

ah i did not know that. when you break it down like that it puts a much more positive spin on it, but i just don't like losing a guy like cassel when it remains to be seen how well brady will hold up. but if they do end up landing a guy akin to peppers then it would make me feel much better about this.

and i agree completely with the vrabel assesment, i believe that was a good inclusion in the deal. i think it remains to be seen if cassel's inclusion will pay off.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ lulz @ techs post

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Step 1.) Cripple their starter
Step 2.) Steal their new starter
Step 3.) Lulz.

2vuj72u-1.jpg

knowing the patriots they'd still put together a respectable season and fight for a spot in the playoffs if not garner one. they're the San Antonio Spurs of the NFL, they're run too well to be a non factor.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ah i did not know that. when you break it down like that it puts a much more positive spin on it, but i just don't like losing a guy like cassel when it remains to be seen how well brady will hold up. but if they do end up landing a guy akin to peppers then it would make me feel much better about this.

and i agree completely with the vrabel assesment, i believe that was a good inclusion in the deal. i think it remains to be seen if cassel's inclusion will pay off.

It will.... There's no way they could keep Cassel for his salary. Brady will be fine, he was never a scrambling QB anyway. Regardless, a 75% Tom Brady is better than a 100% Matt Cassel.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It will.... There's no way they could keep Cassel for his salary. Brady will be fine, he was never a scrambling QB anyway. Regardless, a 75% Tom Brady is better than a 100% Matt Cassel.

true and this was the man's first real injury (if i'm not forgetting anything....?) since taking over the team. and that is a mighty steap salary to pay for a QB that may never seen a minute of field time. it just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that if brady does go down we are in good hands, however from a business standpoint the trade was a good one for the pats.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
to high a risk for a bust on cassel for him to be taken seriously yet.
the pats were offered a first rounder in a 3 team deal, but took a 2nd instead.
pats always like 2nd rd picks better for cap reasons and still a lot of talent there, and now they have tons of free space too work with.
the hoodie knows what he is doing.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
to high a risk for a bust on cassel for him to be taken seriously yet.
the pats were offered a first rounder in a 3 team deal, but took a 2nd instead.
pats always like 2nd rd picks better for cap reasons and still a lot of talent there, and now they have tons of free space too work with.
the hoodie knows what he is doing.

any idea which team?

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^sorry i didn't catch that earlier post IS, it was supposed to be cassel to broncos, cutler to cheifs, and pats get first rounder. I forget why it fell thru, pats didnt like the pick or something, or cheifs backed out i forget.

Getting peppers would be a challenge since they would have to re work his contract, but if they get him to take a paycut then it could be a great move for the pats, esp if they get a LB like maulaga in the draft. peppers/mayo/maulaga/bruschi would be a killer combo as a 3-4 squad.