• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Tutorial: How to use Usenet

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
This is just a quick tutorial I made for people who want to give Usenet/Newsgroups a shot. I typed it quickly, so I may have left some shit out, if you have any questions please ask.

Some people will argue that using BitTorrent is better because you don't have to pay for it......Those people have never used Usenet. I started using Newsgroups 3 years ago and haven't bothered with torrents since. There are many reasons why Usenet is superior to all forms of file-sharing, but I won't bother listing them all.

1. First you need a Usenet service provider. I suggest Astraweb, thats what I use and it's a reliable provider. I suggest buying 3 months for $39. After signing up for a provider, you will get a username and password which you will use to login to their server. (I suggest writing down you username & password)

2. Next you'll need a Newsreader. A newsreader is an application that allows you to download content from Usenet news servers. I suggest using GrabIt, it's free and it works great.

How to setup GrabIt:

a.) Download & Install the program
b.) Type your provider's server address

c.) Type your username & password from Step 1

d.) Retrieve grouplist and finish

e.) You can play around with the preferences if you'd like. Check your download folder or whatever you want. I suggest enabling automatic repair:

3.) Now you need some shit to download. The easiest way to find files to download (.nzb files) is to join an indexing site. Indexing sites organize all the files people upload within the Newsgroup community. The .nzb files simply tell your Newsreader program where to download the media file you're after. My favorite NZB index site is NZBmatrix. NZBmatrix is free, but for more benefits I suggest signing up for VIP, it's worth it.

4.) How to download .nzb files from NZBmatrix

a.) Search for a file you want. For this example I chose Flight.of.the.Conchords.S02E01

b.) Click "Download NZB"
c.) Then open the NZB file with GrabIt
d.) GrabIt should begin downloading your file
e.) Once it's finished downloading, go into your download folder:

f.) Right click on one of the RAR files and choose "extract here". (If you don't have WinRar, you'll need to download it.) You'll now have the file you downloaded. After you extracted the file, you can delete all the RAR's files:

5.) Thats it. Enjoy.

If you have questions about how to use something or how to download a file, feel free to ask. Pain, Flex, or I will be able to answer any question you have.

godbless.

SiCK

SiCK

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats awesome Tech. I've been wanting to try this out.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this may be a stupid question but what is Usenet?

pretzeL

pretzeL

and why pay for something you can get for free may be an equally stupid question...

P

Pain

VIP
and why pay for something you can get for free may be an equally stupid question...

28rh9c8-1.jpg

qntvsl-1.jpg

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
39$ for 3 months? wat the FUCK?!

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"why use this instead of torrents?" is probably on all of our ignorant people's minds.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
"why use this instead of torrents?" is probably on all of our ignorant people's minds.
faster downloading (since you download from servers, not people)
safer (you don't have to upload anything, plus you get SSL encryption)
larger more organized selection (Usenet is near the top of the filesharing foodchain)

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ahh, I see now. So how do they get away with it and people like Pirate bay are in court and they don't host anything? I guess their based in a small shitty country?

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
ahh, I see now. So how do they get away with it and people like Pirate bay are in court and they don't host anything? I guess their based in a small shitty country?
Right now, BitTorrent is "public enemy #1" because everyone and their mother uses it. P2P filesharing (napster, kazaa, bittorent, etc.) are very simple to use, so they tend to attract more inexperienced users. In terms of security, P2P programs are always very sketchy because anyone can get your IP address at anytime. Torrent index sites like Pirate Bay are always getting into trouble because they are very bold about breaking the law. They don't hide the fact that they exist soley for people to download illegally. So it's no wonder that groups like RIAA & MPAA are always trying to shut them down.

Usenet is much more low profile. It's been around for like 30 years and it hasn't changed awhole lot. When you pay for access to a Usenet service provider, your identity is completely hidden. Noone sees what you download or upload.

pretzeL

pretzeL

i see...but the picard facepalms were equally as good in transmitting that info :rofl3:

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Right now, BitTorrent is "public enemy #1" because everyone and their mother uses it. P2P filesharing (napster, kazaa, bittorent, etc.) are very simple to use, so they tend to attract more inexperienced users. In terms of security, P2P programs are always very sketchy because anyone can get your IP address at anytime. Torrent index sites like Pirate Bay are always getting into trouble because they are very bold about breaking the law. They don't hide the fact that they exist soley for people to download illegally. So it's no wonder that groups like RIAA & MPAA are always trying to shut them down.

Usenet is much more low profile. It's been around for like 30 years and it hasn't changed awhole lot. When you pay for access to a Usenet service provider, your identity is completely hidden. Noone sees what you download or upload.

Ya, I know a few old timers here at my work who have been using the newsgroups for 20+ years. They were telling me about it.

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ive been using newsgroups for almost 40 years..

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tech, are there any restrictions like number of IP's the username/pass can be used at or anything? Sounds like something that would be great if a handful of people could share an account, if possible?

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Tech, are there any restrictions like number of IP's the username/pass can be used at or anything? Sounds like something that would be great if a handful of people could share an account, if possible?
only one IP can connect at a time.