• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Pre-contest training

X

xXx Productions

whats up, im a month out from my contest on april 4th and am trying to figure out how to approach my workouts. Some say lower sets and reps with heavier weight. Other people tell me higher reps, lighter weight. I'm sure i'll get mixed feedback on this but does anyone have a tried, tested and true approach??

L

lorri_01

the reason people go ligher weights n higher reps during contest mode is because risk of injury due to low bodyfat and low water retention, personally i wudnt go any less than 12 until maybe the last week just to pump the body , but thats just me

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Training shouldnt change a whole lot. I would eliminate heavy deads and squats to failure 3-4 weeks out but other than that, its the diet that should be changing.

In general dont do anything too drastic. Incorporating some drop sets and compound sets into your routine can help with vascularity and can be beneficial for depleting glycogen but that really isnt until the last couple weeks.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i agree with creator, though i do think you should be deadlifting and squatting, within your means considering your depleted state, up until 1-2 weeks out. really your training shouldn't change. you got your current size doing it that way and will hold onto it best by continuing to do it that way. but again i emphasize that you should be smart about it and train hard, but adjust the weight accordingly as you drop more and more weight.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There's a couple of contest threads here worth reading, one of them by The Creator.

As The Creator said; the only thing that should really change in the routine is the last couple of weeks when your trying to deplete glycogen and are lacking energy.

Adding to that I'd also say that to maintain muscle you really need to work it with heavy weight as you are essentially in starvation mode and lean tissue is metabolically expensive to maintain. It will only maintain it if you are still lifting heavy.

X

xXx Productions

perfect, thanks a mil for tha help fellas. hopefully i'll have some pictures to throw up after this is all said and done.