• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Summer Workouts! Comments?

H

Hlilly73

Hey Guys, I'm new to the site. I just wanted to get say hey and get some conversation going. This is my summer workout for modeling and the "beach body". Feel free to comment and let me know if I missed anything or just add any knowledge you might feel is helpful. Thanks in advance!

The order of the workouts is
-Abs
-Body Part
-Cardio (2 miles)

Assuming all sets are repetitions of 12
---------------------------
Abs - Aprox 7 sets

Ab complex x3 sets
-Crunches x50
-Side Crunches x20
-Full Pulls x20 + 10 seconds

Obliques x3 sets
-40lb dumbbell x12 each side

Isometric Hangs x1
-12 Pulls + 30 secs isometric hang

-------------------------------
Monday - Shoulders

Dumbbell Shoulder press x3

Burnouts x1
-Arnolds x12
-Shoulder Press x12
-Alt. Grip Shoulder Press x12

Front Delt Raises (Barbell/Dumbbell/Plate) x3

Lateral Raises (Dumbbell/Cables) x3

Rear Delt (Cables) x3
-x12 each side
-----------------------------------
Tuesday - Back

Wide Grip Pullups x3

One Armed Rows (Dumbbell) x3

Lat Pull Downs x3

Cable Rows x3

Hypers x3
-------------------------------
Wednesday - Triceps

Skullcrushers x3

Straightbar Pushdowns x3

Rope Pushdowns x3

Cable Rows x3
--------------------------
Thursday - Biceps

Alt. Dumbbell curls x3

Curl Bar curls x3 - SS w/
Hammer Curls x3

Seated Concentration curls x3
---------------------------
Friday - Chest

Barbell Bench x3

Dumbbell Incline x3

Cable Crossovers x3

Cable Crossups x3
-------------------------
Sat/Sun - Off day/Abs/Run..optional, pending on progress.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
you are missing one thing Harrison.....LEGS!!!! i told you you need to workout your legs.

H

Hlilly73

I'm a 162lbs with naturally big legs. My legs go with my upper body. Jeremy is just being a dick.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im not being a dick....im you asked if you are missing anything so i told you. just trying to help you out Harrison.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Way to much for your front delts. Cut out the front raises, and the burnouts, add a couple more sets into the shoulder press.

NO point in having a tricep day and a bicep day. I'm actually not really a fan of a day devoted totally to arms anyway.

Where is the leg training?

SirTeddy

SirTeddy

Your triceps day is kinda girly. You should include dips or close grip bench presses instead of all those pushdowns. Same goes to your chest day, no use to do all that shit with cables, stick to the basic pressing movements. Include deadlift to your back day. :borat:

H

Hlilly73

Just to clarify:

Front Delt Raises (Barbell/Dumbbell/Plate) x3
- This means that i'll use either a barbell OR dumbbell OR plate to do the raises with at 3x12.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Oh man........ :lurking:

I'm with you Timbo. :doh:

Where to start? To be brutally honest its a pretty shit program.

No leg work. Combine your arm days and add a leg day. If you're only 162lbs then you do not have big legs.

To much cable work on tri and chest days. As has been said, CG Press or dips are much better movements for tris.

Want a big strong back? Deadlift. Why the hell are you doing pull-ups and pulldowns?

Dump the front raises.

:gaysign:

H

Hlilly73

Alright, thanks for some of the feed back here guys! A lot of the stuff I am getting are things I would do if I was trying to bodybuild. I'm a model..why would I do deadlifts? Hahah, know what I mean?
-Thanks for pointing out that I have pullups and pulldowns. Any suggestions on what to replace one of those with?

118jd40-1.jpg

H

Hlilly73

No, no I don't. Please explain.

Deadlifts.

Outside of me wanting to prolong the life of my lower back...strength lifts such as these aren't needed in my world.

How would this help me have a better modeling physique?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Outside of me wanting to prolong the life of my lower back...strength lifts such as these aren't needed in my world.

Posture. Shape from the back. Leg shape. Tight biceps/shoulders/traps.

Harden up and train your legs. It looks like you also need work on your upper chest. Train chest twice a week... once with flat bench and the other with incline bench.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

What Skeptic said. Assuming of course you are looking for muscled physique not the anemic but have six pack look.

"Prolonging you back" is another way of saying that someone has told you that squatting and deadlifting are bad for the back and you're scared of them. As long as you maintain a neutral spine throughout both movements and keep the bar as close to the midline/centre of mass as possible then these are very safe movements. :soapbox:

Deadlifts will add a lot of muscle in the areas you are targeting with "little" exercises. Shrugs are borderline pointless when you deadlift. Plus lifting heavy will add a more rugged dimension to your physique (as it involves a lot of muscles that are traditional in what is often considered manly areas; traps, back, legs).

Plus training leg movements will allow you to put on more upper body mass and keeps your metabolism high due to the larger hormone release and number of muscles involved.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP

Skip and Tim answered for me. Deadlifts are the number one muscle-building exercise in the world as far as I'm concerned and I'd be hard pressed to choose between them and squats as the most important full-stop. You're not going to lose your "modelling physique" by deadlifting but you will increase your strength and muscle density immensely and see much great definition in your whole back.

As far as them hurting your back? I had a bad-back before I started doing deads properly and seriously. I no longer have a bad back. Enough said. Deads can hurt your back if you do them wrong (so can anything else) but they're awesome when done correctly.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good advice here, though i would add that really the deadlifts are good to add, but quite honestly for what your going for, which like you said is a beach body, if you don't want to do them it really won't affect your physique goals.

you should however TRAIN YOUR LEGS, absolutely no excuse. and like someone else already said, if you're 162lbs, you don't have big legs. you don't want to be the guy with a good physique with chicken legs......nobody likes that guy.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This Thread... has convinced me.
I miss them anyway.
DEADLIFTS FTW!
I'm sick of machines, not really, it's just not the same as Free weights.
I'm picking up a BB & some plates this weekend.
Thanks guys.