• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Nominating Balsa Actors

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Line and I have come up with a sterling idea for the name of the category of crappy actors. We want you to add to the list.

The cateogry is for the actors that ultimately let down a film with their mediocre performance in films that demanded better of them.

Balsa actors - Because they are light on, lacking strength, and will ultimately break on stronger actors.

1) Shelley Duvall - The Shining
2) Sofia Coppola - Godfather III
3) Hayden Christiansen - Revenge of the Sith (Maniquin SkyWalker....)
4) Keanu Reeves - Everything he's ever done

Who else needs to be on the list?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
WOAH WOAH WOAH... The adventures of Bill and Ted ruled.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Skinedef nominated him. I'd only nominate him for the Matrix movies.

P

Pain

VIP
Robert De Niro - Righteous Kill
Al Pacino - Righteous Kill

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Do we have a seconder for this?
Especially considering the particular nominees.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I'm not sure if Reeves falls into the Balsa category. He's more like an ordinary lump of wood.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Katie Holmes - Batman Begins (probably even Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight)
Christina Ricci - Monster

Kevin Bacon... Paul Walker... Ben Affleck... in anything?

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The adventures of Bill and Ted ruled.
Totally agree! BUT only cause of Bill Preston Esquire!!

Reeves is always BALSA. He's just been in movies with great actors, like River's Edge.

Watch Constantine again, you'll see. Supporting cast carries that movie too.
c0th-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Nicolas Cage for half the movies he's done.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
jerry seinfeld, though that actually made seinfeld even funnier in a way.

edit: sorry that doesn't fit the criteria here. never mind.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a special category for great films with great actors with one misplaced performance like those Line and I listed.
Katie Holmes - Batman Begins I don't think she looked out of place beside Bale, Freeman and Caine. So I don't think she fits the category, even though I agree she wasn't terrific.

(probably even Maggie Gyllenhaal in The Dark Knight) Ditto.

Christina Ricci - Monster Can't comment as I haven't seen it.

Kevin Bacon I think he is in the overacting dept and not this category.
Paul Walker I don't think he's been acting alongside of any decent actors to shatter upon.
Ben Affleck Ditto Paul Walker, although Ben has chops but needs a director
El Freako said:
Nicolas Cage for half the movies he's done. He has dragged movies down but is usually the star so doesn't really fit the category

Chesty said:
Dane Cook - Mr brooks
Going to need a seconder for this one as I disagree. Although this nomination is a valid one if others agree his performance was lacking.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mark Hamill - The Empire Strikes Back (even a voice over had more relevant presence)
Nick Stahl - Terminator 3 (brought down Claire Danes and Arnie and destroyed a franchise. In fact T3 wasn't a good film so the only reason for his nomination was due to the previous 2 films)
Alicia Silverstone - Batman and Robin (although in all fairness this was just a shit film and is probably not a proper nomination, mainly because of the betrayal of the comic book pedegree)

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Watch Constantine again, you'll see. Supporting cast carries that movie too.
c0th-1.jpg
Nothing carries Constantine. I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
jerry seinfeld
Funny, I thought the same thing about Seinfeld, never saw but a couple episodes of his TV show. His kid movie "Bee Movie" sucked Balls.
I took my youngest daughter, we walked out 3/4 of the way through. Utter shit movie. We wanted to ask for our $ back.

Nothing carries Constantine. I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it.
Ha, I found myself mildly aroused by Tilda Swinton as Gabriel, wrong I know, but....
Peter Stormare was entertaining as Satan :)
Also the scenes in the bowling alley stand out in my mind, but otherwise you are absolutely correct sir.

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
not an actor but similiar

walt disney- remember the titans.....this movie would have been so much better if it didnt have the disney tag

actor

dennis quaid- traffic......love that movie but he is awful in it, hes awful in most things he does

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
not an actor but similiar

walt disney- remember the titans.....this movie would have been so much better if it didnt have the disney tag

actor

dennis quaid- traffic......love that movie but he is awful in it, hes awful in most things he does

I agree the Walt Disney tag can really kill a good movie with the overly sentimental crap they pull.

Now Dennis Quaid I'd normally rate as a solid actor. I'd never have said he brought down a movie with his presence, in fact normally he brings more out of those around him. And considering how small a part he had in Traffic I'm not sure it is fair.

So any seconders for:
Dennis Quaid - Traffic
Dane Cook - Mr Brooks
Robert De Niro - Righteous Kill
Al Pacino - Righteous Kill

I think we can safely add Jerry Seinfield to the list.

The list so far:
1) Shelley Duvall - The Shining
2) Sofia Coppola - Godfather III
3) Hayden Christiansen - Revenge of the Sith (Maniquin SkyWalker....)
4) Keanu Reeves - Everything he's ever done
5) Mark Hamill - The Empire Strikes Back (even a voice over had more relevant presence)
6) Nick Stahl - Terminator 3 (brought down Claire Danes and Arnie and destroyed a franchise. In fact T3 wasn't a good film so the only reason for his nomination was due to the previous 2 films)
7) Jerry Seinfield - everything he has ever done

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"Keanu Reeves - Everything he's ever done" :49:

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seinfeld shouldn't be there. If he was that bad, Seinfeld wouldn't of ran for as long as it did.

EDIT: Tom Cruise anyone? Or Possibly Affleck for Good Will Hunting.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seinfeld shouldn't be there. If he was that bad, Seinfeld wouldn't of ran for as long as it did.

i agree and withdraw my previous inclusion of his name. that's kind of what makes him funny, particularly in seinfeld, is his acting. he's admitted several times in interviews that he's a terrible actor. i can't think of any movies he's really been in and to nominate him per the guidelines of this thread is totally inaccurate.