• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Next training phase

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
What you think?
Goals are pretty much to increase strength from week to week as well as prioritise back hypertrophy. Specifically get stronger on Chins, Bench, Deadlifts. Without over neglecting certain areas. Ill just write my work sets. Warm ups not included. Current weight is somewhere between 97and100kg
xoxox and this will just be done with a typical 3 day a week 1 day on 1 day off 2 days off on the weekend jazz. (fits in better with work)

Day 1
Weighted Chinups 8sets by 5 reps
Seated Row 4 sets by 12 reps
Incline Dumbell press 4 sets by 12 reps
Deadlifts 5 sets by 2-5 reps
Side raises 4 sets by 12 reps
calf raises 4 sets by 12 reps

Day 2
Inverted Rows 4 sets of 12 reps
Squats 2 sets of 20 reps
GHR 5sets of low reps
Flat bench barbell 5 sets of 8 reps
1 arm tricep extension 4 sets of 12 reps
Barbell curls 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3
Weighted chinups 5 sets of 8 reps
Seated row 4 sets of 12 reps
Flat bench barbell 8 sets of 5 reps
Deadlifts stiffies 4sets of 12 reps
Side raises 4 sets of 12 reps
Calf raises 4 sets of 12 reps

so on day 1 and 3 thats 29 work sets... and anywhere between 242 and 272 reps. Balanced much? Too much? Cuddles? I should also mention that leg hypotrophy is not a priority.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
1. Do deads first.
2. Add Good Mornings and cable pull throughs as assistance work for deads. Maybe try box squats on your squat day.
3. If you want to increase your bench then add in some extra tri work aswell, possibly some OH pressing too.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
1. Do deads first.
2. Add Good Mornings and cable pull throughs as assistance work for deads. Maybe try box squats on your squat day.
3. If you want to increase your bench then add in some extra tri work aswell, possibly some OH pressing too.

1.Deads first sounds good. It was either them or chins. My chins will suffer from doing deads first where i never noticed it the other way around. So that was my logic. Ill be able to dead more then I chin tho so I should switch it around. Putting them forth is definately silly come to think of it. lolol

2.alternate GHR and goodmornings every other week perhaps?

3.I could swap some side raises for over head presses or close grip on my light bench day?

thanks benno

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I chopped and changed it a little, its a little messy and far from perfect. I'll add more next week.

Day 1
Deadlifts 8 sets by 2-5 reps
Good Mornings 5 sets of 5-8 reps

Day 2
Flat bench barbell 8 sets of 2-5 reps
DB Press 4 sets of 12 reps
Lying Tri Ext 3 sets of 12 reps
Rear-delt Fly 3 sets of 12 reps

Day 3
Box Squats 8 sets of 2-5 reps
CG bench barbell 3 sets of 12 reps

I've changed it so its more of a deadlift/bench/deadlift cycle. This will work better for strength IMO. I'd even go as far as to suggest that you research a 3-day powerlifting template, possibly Westside Barbell or one of the others. Then adjust so that all your lower body exercises are deadlift orientated. You can still put on a lot of size while gaining strength too.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
^in regards to powerlifting programs at the moment ill give them a miss. Its more motivating for me to go in and train on something I've thought about myself. Might not be as effective but its definately more motivating for me. I do like some of the changes you made and the exercise choices. ill use your template and make a few changes tell me what you think. Underlined = Im not sure Bold= I changed (btw sorry for not replying faster didnt realise you were hanging on for my response. I actually posted above then went on a picnic)

Day 1

Day 2
DB Press 4 sets of 12 reps
Side raise 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3
CG bench barbell 5 sets of 8 reps

Pretty much just changed the order to prioritise some back movements before presses. (my presses are still strong after back) And I scrapped rear delt flys for side raises as i figure the back of my delts will get enough from all the rowing. on another look day 1 looks pretty brutal thats 33 sets with weighted chins and deadlifts... Its doable currently i do 29-30 sets a session but im also not deadlifting atm...

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I am going to say that you should leave bench as your first exercise on day 2. If you train back beforehand your benching capabilities will be greatly reduced. Your back is getting worked everyday so it really doesn't need to be prioritised.

Maybe do one rear delt specific exercise on one day. Rear delts are a huge part of benching.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
Im sure a few more acessories wouldnt hurt. Perhaps some rear delts on day 2 with some grip work on 1 and 3 ?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Day 1

Day 2
DB Press 4 sets of 12 reps Switch so done before BB bench? Can act as a good lead in warmup and doubles your workload because you can hit a heavy DB press then move onto the bigger exercise
Side raise 4 sets of 12 reps

Day 3
CG bench barbell 5 sets of 8 reps
Nice looking routine. The only thing I'd say is that there are not a lot of small exercises like arms and other accessories. Although looking at the program most of the immediate accessories are covered with stuff like inverted rows and all the chins. So unless you have some specific weaknesses or imbalances then it seems pretty good.

Maybe cycle in a lunge on day one or two at some stage for medium reps for some single leg work.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Just to contradict what Timbo suggested: definitely keep heavy benching first, unless you want to do heavy DBs followed by lighter benching. Heavy first, accessory second.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ That's why I had the "?", it was more of an option than anything.

Doing the lighter exercise first, hit the work sets in that, then move to the heavier exercise worksets, you have warmed up, got better activation, and have already done several heavy worksets without tapping into your heaviest weights.

But on the other side, I agree that if you are using the DB's as an accessory then they go second.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
dumbells definately as an accesory timbo. and on my heaviest bench sets of the week i definately dont want to do light presses before them only warm ups. THe dumbells i wont mind as much if i dont hit my targets on them so ill keep them after.