• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

New type of Training

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Decisions.....

Currently I am taking a week off which is allowing me to focus on my school work with research papers coming up and allowing my cns to recover. Lately I have been training in a split with heavy volume.

Monday- Chest and Arms
Tuesday- Shoulders and Back
Wed-off
Thursday-Legs
Friday-Dynamic Upper body including a little of all chest, shoulders and back
Saturday-Bi's

I'm considering changing up my routine in some sort of way. Maybe not even messing with the days but what the days consist off. I'm completely open though I dont see myself going towards HIT, I like to work harder and spend more time in the gym lol.

What do you guys think?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
what are your goals?

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
what are your goals?

Well I know I can drop some fat just by upping cardio, I don't get enough cardio in right now with 19hours of school. Mainly I'm looking for strength and mass. As far as body go I want to bring up my arms and continuing increasing my bench. With football I've always tended to focus on the larger body parts and now i'd like to get some more mass on my arms. Probably going to do measurements again tommorow.

The Mondays I were doing on bench came from defrancostraining.com its basically a form of westside. Where you work to your max set of 3.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
19hrs Oh noes :bitelip:

Take a look at your physique in the mirror from all angles. Don't just go on "I want a bigger set of arms" stuff, go by your proportions (legs too little for upper body, arms too little for chest/back, etc) and list off the weaknesses. Then have a look at your lifts and where they get hard. Is your lockout weak? Do your chinups suck because or your back or your arms? Do you have the squat depth of a poser? Do you feel squats more in your butt than quads? Etc.

Once you have a list of your weaknesses you know what needs to be focussed on and what the emphasis should be.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pick your strongest body part and back off the frequency and overall volume of that a bit and substitute your weaker parts with a little more attention. That being said, you should obviously keep overtraining in mind. Personally, I believe if you wanna see your arms grow a you should be hitting them twice a week as a secondary mover and with isolation exercises. I have never known a strength and conditioning coach to recommend split training so if you are still playing football I would try to avoid that. Keep your power movements that will help you with football, olympic lifts, and overall compound training but I would just incorporate a little more attention to your arms a couple times a week. You may even want to start with arms every now and again to maximize their stimulation through isolation movements first and then hit your routine. What are you doing for your dynamic upper body movements?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Coughcoughwestsidebarbellcoughcough.

Its awesome for strength and very easy to adapt the template for bodybuilding goals as well.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
^^^^

:thumbsup2:

Freako has made a good sugestion.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Pick your strongest body part and back off the frequency and overall volume of that a bit and substitute your weaker parts with a little more attention. That being said, you should obviously keep overtraining in mind. Personally, I believe if you wanna see your arms grow a you should be hitting them twice a week as a secondary mover and with isolation exercises. I have never known a strength and conditioning coach to recommend split training so if you are still playing football I would try to avoid that. Keep your power movements that will help you with football, olympic lifts, and overall compound training but I would just incorporate a little more attention to your arms a couple times a week. You may even want to start with arms every now and again to maximize their stimulation through isolation movements first and then hit your routine. What are you doing for your dynamic upper body movements?

I'm no longer playing football, I'm getting ready to graduate in may and trying to obtain a job as a graduate assistant coach for a football team. Thank you though, good points made

For the dynamic Upper Body I was typically doing Max Reps of 225 on the bench.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Coughcoughwestsidebarbellcoughcough.

Its awesome for strength and very easy to adapt the template for bodybuilding goals as well.

What I was using was from defrancostraining.com

He made a Westside for Skinny Bastards template. It was basically for Football guys, I changed it a lot though. I want to avoid reinjuring my knee and my legs are my strongest body part so I was only doing them once a week, and in return devoting a whole day to shoulders and back.

I'm really interested in seeing what you have in mind in altering a westside program for bodybuilding though. As I have gotten the best strength gains from the Westside for SB program.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
19hrs Oh noes :bitelip:

Take a look at your physique in the mirror from all angles. Don't just go on "I want a bigger set of arms" stuff, go by your proportions (legs too little for upper body, arms too little for chest/back, etc) and list off the weaknesses. Then have a look at your lifts and where they get hard. Is your lockout weak? Do your chinups suck because or your back or your arms? Do you have the squat depth of a poser? Do you feel squats more in your butt than quads? Etc.

Once you have a list of your weaknesses you know what needs to be focussed on and what the emphasis should be.

I have been trying to do that here in the past months more than ever since I'm done with football. I feel that my arms are too small in comparsion to my chest. And I could use more back width to match my shoulders. My legs are my strong point and I always go parallel (The 90degrees) with heavy weight and below para with light weight.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Adapting wsb for arms and back would be easy. It already calls for lots of back work (sometimes even 4 days per week) and you could do would be doing accessory tri work to. Just add some extra tri and bi assistance work and you will be sweet. You may want to stick with the wsb4sb template if you only want one leg day.

l12l21l2012l

l12l21l2012l

good point tim.

why Do i feel squats more in my butt than quads????

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Number of possible reasons. Could be that you bend more with the knees and move forward in the motion rather than sit back (I used to do this a lot and my brother currently does it). Or you could have a relatively weak set of glutes. Or you could be leaning forward too much and turn the move into a good morning. I'm sure there are some other reasons that I can't think of off the top of my head.

Basically learn to squat. Weight through the heels, squat down - not forward, check out elitefts or any of hte olympic lifting sites. I like the O-weightlifting style more, but still get a lot out of box squats. Box squats are possibly the best way to learn to squat properly.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I learn to squat better by doing box squats.

try those out!