• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Arm position in Squat

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I've done it both ways, arms the closest to shoulders has comfortable or wide spread along the bar, cross type, wich one is right? or are both right?

the one with arms closest to shoulder helps maintain the natural curve in your back?

EDIT: ( Shit! wrong section, pls someone move it to exercise section)

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I use the close version, creates a better surface to put the bar on

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
I place my hands as far out as I can or shoulder width depending on how my shoulders feel

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Natzo said:
thats also true.. but is there correct one?
Well yes and no. A lot of guys that lack shoulder mobility go wider and end up with a rounded upper back. So this can lead to a poor squat position and also means you don't have proper control over the bar.

Narrow grips aren't always ideal either. Too narrow and you end up with too little control over the bar and winging of the scapular.

I've read to use the same grip you bench with, and the bench width is recommended in the literature to be 1.5xbiacromonial width.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
^^^^

so the ideal is bench wide...

going spread arms (wide) I felt that is more difficult to keep the back straight and yeah your upper back rounds a bit. ( not good)
the problems above disappear when you use a close ( bench wide ) grip.

thanks for the always good info!

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Little over shoulder width for me.Nice and tight.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well yes and no. A lot of guys that lack shoulder mobility go wider and end up with a rounded upper back. So this can lead to a poor squat position and also means you don't have proper control over the bar.

Narrow grips aren't always ideal either. Too narrow and you end up with too little control over the bar and winging of the scapular.

I've read to use the same grip you bench with, and the bench width is recommended in the literature to be 1.5xbiacromonial width.

I would just like to add that if your grip is too close than this will put a lot of stress on the shoulders because the thoracic spine is not in proper position and the scapula, like Tim said, will wing. However, when you squat with a very wide grip this will put a lot of stress on the elbows and bicep tendons. So, just to back up Tim make sure your grip is about where he said it should be.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I would just like to add that if your grip is too close than this will put a lot of stress on the shoulders because the thoracic spine is not in proper position and the scapula, like Tim said, will wing. However, when you squat with a very wide grip this will put a lot of stress on the elbows and bicep tendons. So, just to back up Tim make sure your grip is about where he said it should be.

I can vouch for this this, I was keeping my hands in nice and close because it kept the bar so tight on my back but with my recent shoulder problems it has become impossible. I now use approximately the same width as my bench. I don't understand how people can hold it wide. The control of the bar is just not there.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i like it as far as i can go. helps me control the bar the best.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hands touch ends of bar for me, or other words all the way out, for helping my balance.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I think 1 and a half shoulder width is ideal. I go with that and because i'm pretty broad my hand grip is wide.