• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

BMR and Questions

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
With the new MD i bought ( march issue ) i got this little booklet with some supp company promotions in it. Nevermind that, what i thought was interesting is stumbling upon the BMR= base metabolic rate and what it is, i knew what it was prior to seeing it but i have never seen how u can calculate it

BMR=66+ (6.23xweight in pounds)+(12.7x height in inches)-(6.8xage in year)

This would be ur metabolic rate

So filled my in

BMR=66+ (6.23xweight in pounds)+(12.7x height in inches)-(6.8xage in year)
PV's BMR= 66+( 6.23x275)+(12.7x71)( im 6'1", hope its correct)-( 6.8x21yo)=

A whopping 2563.35 kcals...

Also they say ur ratios of food no matter what ur goal is must be

40% carbs
40% protein
20% fat

so...it would be for me( in grams)

256,25 protein
same for carbs
57 fat

It also says...if u wanna gain weight, throw an extra 500kcals a day which would equal 3500 kcals a week which is a pund, same goes for losing weight, so u substract 500..

Now my question is...

I wanna lose some of my bf...which would mean i have to eat accroding to this2563-500=2063 kcals a day..

Isnt that too low for me? i train at least 4-5 times a week..woldnt this make me lose muscle?

Hope to get some good responds

Yours truly,

PV :borat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's the Harris-Benedict equation. Couple of points that need to be added.

The Harris Benedict Equation is a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an activity factor to determine your total daily energy expenditure (calories). The only factor omitted by the Harris Benedict Equation is lean body mass. Remember, leaner bodies need more calories than less leaner ones. Therefore, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs).

Harris Benedict Formula
American "we can't use metric because we want to be behind the times and inaccurate" BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) - ( 6.8 x age in year )

Metric BMR Formula
Women: BMR = 655 + ( 9.6 x weight in kilos ) + ( 1.8 x height in cm ) - ( 4.7 x age in years )
Men: BMR = 66 + ( 13.7 x weight in kilos ) + ( 5 x height in cm ) - ( 6.8 x age in years )

To determine your total daily calorie needs, multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

1. If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
2. If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
3. If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
4. If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
5. If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9
*waits for someone to claim hardgainer status or extra active category* :bitelip:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BMR calculations are usually very variable unless they take into account some sort of activity level and lbm. The article tim posted is much more reputable.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ok i see, never seen this before so...2365x1.55=3972.65-500 for fat burning=3472.65 which is much more reasonable..

Thanx tim and Creator for the input!