• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Longest time away from weights

madakira

madakira

Hey guys and gals. I was just wondering what was the longest break or time away from the weights you have ever taken and how long did it take you to get back? I haven't been to the gym since thanksgiving. I am going to get back and was just wondering what everyone has done to motivate themselves to get back. When I stopped I was benching 130lbs dumbells and shoulder pressing 80s all for reps. I went back last week and could only bench the 105's my last set for about 10. I am kind of bummed out cause people at the gym are already asking "What happpend? You used to be huge" and stuff like that. It is kind of depressing, but I know I will be back. I was just wondering what everyones method to their madness was and how long it took them. Thanks everyone. :borat:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
3 months while backpacking. I'm going to beat that with a 4-5 month break next year, once again while backpacking.

Zendorian

Zendorian

5 months.

i got started again, when i took recent picture of myseld and compare it with the one 5 months before when i was at my peak. I got shocked.

So what i did was to put the big shirt on so i did not need to see my body in the mirror while lifting, downloaded the best inspiring tracs i could find to my mp3 and just got going. then also at the end of every moth i used tanktop while doing chest/back workout to see my progress...

have to say u get ur mass back rlly fast once u have had it and havent been off the gym for to long (like years)

my peakweight was 225 at 9-10%bf i got down to as worst 215 at 16%bf.. now after 7 months of hardwork am pretty much back to where i want to be =)

ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
my longest break was a little more than a month when i had a shoulder injury. it took me about 2 - 3 months to get back to 100%.

Salt

Salt

I'm pretty sure it's under 2 month.

madakira

madakira

5 months.

i got started again, when i took recent picture of myseld and compare it with the one 5 months before when i was at my peak. I got shocked.

So what i did was to put the big shirt on so i did not need to see my body in the mirror while lifting, downloaded the best inspiring tracs i could find to my mp3 and just got going. then also at the end of every moth i used tanktop while doing chest/back workout to see my progress...

have to say u get ur mass back rlly fast once u have had it and havent been off the gym for to long (like years)

my peakweight was 225 at 9-10%bf i got down to as worst 215 at 16%bf.. now after 7 months of hardwork am pretty much back to where i want to be =)

That's pretty good bro! usually when i take time off i lose weight, and then when I start up again I grow bigger than I was before. Hopefully that is the case now. i used to be 173 with 17 1/4 inch arms. I am hoping to go up to 185 with 17 3/4 inch arms. I am currently 178lbs and my arms are a little under 17

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
4 months.

And all that time partying 3-4 times a week getting wasted and eating pure garbage. My body got a beating, but is recuperating quite nicely =)

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
about 3 weeks after my appendectomy. i couldn't do anything that engaged my abs. i still did some light weights while i got better though so technically it wasn't complete time off but in my book it was.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
5 weeks suffering a rotator cuff injury

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
December 2007 to April 2008 because of a burst appendix and scar tissue built up in my intestines.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
to be honest, i think maximum 2 weeks.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think not more than 3 weeks...

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
15 months after a mayor knee injury..torn MCL, ACL and LCL, broken kneecap...

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ damn! how that happened?

jsfitnessking

jsfitnessking

3 weeks from pnemonia

Zendorian

Zendorian

That's pretty good bro! usually when i take time off i lose weight, and then when I start up again I grow bigger than I was before. Hopefully that is the case now. i used to be 173 with 17 1/4 inch arms. I am hoping to go up to 185 with 17 3/4 inch arms. I am currently 178lbs and my arms are a little under 17

yeah i have the same expiriences that u have, sure 5 months is a way to long rest time, according to me at least.

but if ur off the lifting say for 2 months, sure u loose some size and put on some fat if u aint extremely careful with ur diet, but on the other hand i also think it a very good chance for your body to get a complete rest and rebuild itself if u have been lifting for a very long time without any major breake.

i have no doubt in that u will achive your new weight and size goal =) it's allways doable if u rlly put it in come to diet and rlly pushing urself at the gym. I see so many ppl wondering how i can get that big and what im taking.. i just grin some at them and tells them how important ur diet etc is, and then i ad that they should look and compare the intesity of their lifting compared to mine, i can proudly say i dont see anyone at my gym at who trains with the same intensity and heavy reps that i do. some ppl seem to think just standing on the gym floor will make u big, kinda funny. How tall are u btw ?

P

Pain

VIP
I stepped into a hole when it was dark outside and fell over my knee

Should come up with a better story for an injury like that. Ask miam for one.

I think the longest I went without working out was 2 weeks a few years ago.