• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lifts focused routine

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hello guys!

I want to start a routine to work on these 4 lifts

1. Deads
2. Squats
3. Incline bench ( shoulder injury prevents me of doing heavy bench presses regularly)

And i want to be able to do some heavy powerclean presses

I was thinking a 3 or 4 day split but have no idea on how to create such a routine, i usually train bodyparts, dont know how to go about making a program based on lifts, kinda what freako does...

Would appreciate all the help i can get!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Westside dude. :xyxthumbs: Its easily adaptable since its really only a loose template to follow. All you would need to do is avoid flat benching as your ME exercise and you'll be set.

Or there's also Sheiko if you have 1-2hrs to spare for training each day.

Sheiko:

Here's a sample WSB routine you could use...

Lower ME
1. ME Squat/Dead movement: box squats, good morning or rack pulls. Work up to a maximal effort.
2. Supplemental movement: SLDL, good mornings or front squats. 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.
3. Accessory movements:
*Heavy abs. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
*Lower back. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps

Upper DE
1. Speed bench: start at 50% of your 1rm and cycle this adding 5% per week. 8-10 sets of 3 reps.
2. Supplemental movement: JM press, DB press, BB extensions. 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.
3. Accessory movements:
*Upper back and rear delt movements. 3-6 sets of 6-10 reps.
*2nd chest or tri movement, or delts. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Lower DE
1. Box Squats: start at 50% of your 1rm and cycle this adding 10% per week. 8-10 sets of 2 reps.
2. Supplemental movement: SLDL, good mornings or front squats. 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.
3. Accessory movements:
*Heavy abs. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.
*Lower back. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

Upper ME
1. ME movement: Incline Press, Decline Press, Military Press (possibly)
2. Supplemental movement: JM press, DB press, BB extensions. 4-6 sets of 5-8 reps.
3. Accessory movements:
*Upper back and rear delt movements. 3-6 sets of 6-10 reps.
*2nd chest or tri movement, or delts. 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps.

This is just off the top of my head, many different exercises and rep/set ranges can be used depending on your goals.

Last edited by a moderator:
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanx freako, i know you do the three lifts, but if u did the 4th one that i want to do, where would u put it?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You might be able to add it in as an ME movement or as an accessory movement.

Example routine added too...

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ thanx much freako! gonna use all this good info and create a routine soon!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Swing any questions you have my way.

One thing to remember, the main purpose if this template is not to work the actual movement (bench, dead, squat) but instead to work parts of the movement, specifically the weakest part. Your exercise selection should focus on these weaknesses, not on your strengths.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not sure what you mean by power clean presses Jono...

If you mean a power clean followed by a press rather than a jerk then that is pretty easy to fit in as it will be significantly lighter.

So the power clean would act as the warmup before deadlifts. Or alternatively if the weight is light enough because of the press (rather than jerk) it acts as a shoulder exercise after a bench session. ME or DE day only really changes the % of max you'd use for the weight. I wouldn't change reps by much as anything over about 3 reps will either be too light or too energy sapping.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Push presses don't end up being that much different to a jerk so just go from that.

Oh, that video is terrible. My worst form looks better than that. I'm actually going to drop the clean and jerk because of the strain my average form is putting on my elbows and wrists (I'll start back at a later date to work on my form).

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^didnt post it for form but how the lift would look like

My form is better :)

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you're interested in improving your lifts then I'd say to take a look into block periodization. WSBB is okay but it's not for beginners and/or intermediates.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ block periodization? dont know what it is but ill see if i can find info on it, thanks TJ

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You're not going to find much on the internet regarding block periodization because it's new (at least one of the newer concepts in training) and it's still evolving. Vladimir Issurin wrote a book on it which you can purchase here:

This is a general overview of block periodization (look for the Accumulation, Transmutation and Realization bolded print):

The Thinker is kind of vague in his set up because of a new manual coming out which will include information presented by Jeremy Frey and other lifters. Actually, I believe the Block Periodization Manual will be the first manual which is directed towards powerlifters....I'm not 100% if it's the first but I do know it will be directed towards powerlifters (raw, geared, single lift, etc). The Thinker pretty much highlights all the good points/concepts with Block Periodization.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I made my choice for which program am gonna follow

Chose the 9 week russian periodization training

After filling in my stats this is what i got

Extended Russian Power Routine

1RM Smallest increment 5
Squat 140
Bench 95
Deadlift 190

Monday Wednesday Friday
Week 1 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 1 Deadlift 6x3x150/ Week 1 Squat 6x3x110
Bench 6x3x75/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 2 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 2 Deadlift 6x4x150/ Week 2 Squat 6x4x110
Bench 6x4x75/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 3 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 3 Deadlift 6x5x150/ Week 3 Squat 6x5x110
Bench 6x5x75/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 4 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 4 Deadlift 6x6x150/ Week 4 Squat 6x6x110
Bench 6x6x75/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 5 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 5 Deadlift 5x5x160/ Week 5 Squat 5x5x120
Bench 5x5x80/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 6 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 6 Deadlift 4x4x170/ Week 6 Squat 4x4x125
Bench 4x4x85/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 7 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 7 Deadlift 3x3x180/ Week 7 Squat 3x3x135
Bench 3x3x90/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 8 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 8 Deadlift 2x2x190/ Week 8 Squat 2x2x140
Bench 2x2x95/ Bench 6x2x75

Week 9 Squat 6x2x110/ Week 9 Deadlift 1x1x200/ Week 9 Squat 1x1x145
Bench 1x1x100/ Bench 6x2x75

Tips: I don't do much of assistance work, but
if you have the energy after training,
throw in some assistance work (lats, dips, shoulder presses etc.)

If you are a sumo deadlifter, start the cycle with traditional deadlift.
At fifth week replace traditional deadlift with sumo deadlift.

2nd bench session is on with squats in day 3

I can choose my own accessory exercises but i wont go overboard

Decided to do bench but filled in a 5kg less 1rm to prevent hurting my bad shoulder too much

Off days will be cardio and abs

What yall think?

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd say it's too much and there's no de-loading. But, even with de-loading it would still be too much I think. I don't have a problem with doing movements twice per week but the intensities need to vary (a lot) if you plan on doing that and this program doesn't seem to do that. Plus, at your level, you need some assistance work for the upper back, core and hips.

What exactly is wrong with your shoulders, though?

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I dislocated my shoulder the first time when i was 16 during a basketball game, since then it has dislocated an extra 5 times, so my left shoulder ligamnets are really strecthed and weak, and my rear delt isnt working 100%, it lacks power and a bit of size compared to my right one

3 times a week wont be much of a problem for recuperation, i will be supplementing and eating well so i hope i will be able to perform the cycle no problems, after the nine weeks i will deload and test new 1RM

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rocky used the same routine a while back if I remember it correctly. I agree with TJ along with that I feel like there is no need for a program with a periodization like this for you PV. Working 9 weeks to a PR is imo a bit too inefficient. I think at your level you can benefid more from more linear progression with propper deloads. But thats just me for rocky it worked well.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I see, i understand what u mean philo, thanx for ur input, i personally feel for my size and weight i am pretty weak especially in the bench and squats, so im gonna do this to improve my overall powers on the three lifts

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm sure that you will get stronger for the short run but, this program, will not get you stronger in the long run. Yes, it's important to train the big three but you also need to work on weaknesses. This is why assistance work is so important; so that you can strengthen weaknesses and maintain strengths. Especially when taking your condition into consideration. I would think that doing a lot of upper back work and shoulder prehab/rehab movements would add a lot of stability to the scapula and shoulder region. This program does not address weaknesses nor your condition.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agree with the points raised.

You need the back-offs to allow for the increases that are planned into any program. Otherwise you burn out physically and/or mentally which puts your program back.

And accessories are very important. You have your one major lift for the day, then you have your accessories to help that lift (or the others...). So bench day could be a 3 board bench followed by back work and stuff for the triceps and delts. These things are just as important to do and have programmed in.