• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Olympia prize money reaches an all-time high this year

Z

Zoknat

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
From Flexonline:

2yl6an5-1.jpg

April 7, 2009
FLEXONLINE.COM
American Media Inc. (AMI) and the IFBB Professional League announced today that the total prize money for the 2009 Olympia, presented by MuscleTech and brought to you by Bodybuilding.com, will be increased to $800,000. Included in that total is a $200,000 purse for winning the Mr. Olympia, an increase of $45,000 from 2008. Overall, the total prize money has been increased by over $60,000 from last year's event.

"We are thrilled to announce the increase in prize money for the 2009 Olympia," said AMI Chairman, President and CEO David J. Pecker. "The Olympia Weekend is the biggest and best event in bodybuilding, so we believe the prize money for the competitors should be a reflection of that. As far as what's at stake, the Olympia is clearly setting the standard."
The Arnold Classic is the closest to the Olympia in terms of total prize money awarded. In 2009, $466,000 in total prize money was awarded at the Arnold Classic. In addition to men's bodybuilding, the prize money has also increased for the Figure Olympia and the 202 Showdown. Also, for the first time in history, the purse for the runner-up in a men's bodybuilding contest will reach the six-figure mark, as the second-place finisher will receive $100,000 in prize money.

"The partnership between AMI and the IFBB Pro League is obviously working in the direction, as David Pecker and Ben Weider promised, to make the Olympia the best contest in the world," IFBB Professional League Chairman Jim Manion said. "They are giving more back to the bodybuilders than anyone ever has. All the female competitors should be happy because the increased prize money makes everybody even across the board. The IFBB professional League is happy to be working with AMI in such a positive relationship as we continue to move bodybuilding forward in honor of Ben Weider."

When AMI took over the Olympia in 2004, the total prize money for Olympia Weekend was $540,000. Included in that total was a $120,000 purse for the Olympia winner.

For complete information on Joe Weider's 2009 Olympia Weekend, go to www.mrolympia.com!

P

Pain

VIP
This years Olympia is probably the most uncertain Olympia in years. Dexter, Jay, Victor, Heath ect can all take it.

I wonder if this is why Ronnie is doing the Olympia?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Phil will be richer with 200,000 $, no doubt about it.

patdiddy

patdiddy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats awesome news for everyone who is competing.....

Z

Zoknat

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This years Olympia is probably the most uncertain Olympia in years. Dexter, Jay, Victor, Heath ect can all take it.

I wonder if this is why Ronnie is doing the Olympia?

It could be the reason, also it could be that his sponser BSN or FLEX offered him some extra cash for doing it this year. Anyway until there are no any offical announcements I will stay skeptical about this until further news.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some good news, but maybe they should spread some money around so that there are either more pro shows during the year or more prize money for those shows.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Phil will be richer with 200,000 $, no doubt about it.

Wouldn't everyone be richer with $200,000 :ughfingers:

The prize money in BB is still ridiculous compared to other sports.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the total prize money for the 2009 Olympia, presented by MuscleTech

Wouldn't come off a bit wierd to anyone participating and not holding a muscle tech sponsorship?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
That's good news for the sport.

it means that it's growing and grabing some attencion!

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow, that's a big raise.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Sounds like great news for the competitors!

isopure

isopure

Very good news.
Bodybuilding needs the support of the sponsors and bodybuilders need to earn more money to survive but other shows should do it either. In my opinion the best 50 bodybuilders in the rank should earn a salary by IFBB.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So i guess victor martinez is 200.000 dollars richer!

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ He might be 200.000 dollars richer but he wont be 200,000 dollars richer

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do we really need to give more money to the ones ALREADY winning? shouldnt we start extending monetary prizes to the ones without along with an overall increase in P money

CombBoy

CombBoy

All that extra prize money will certainly make the top competitors even more hungry and determined for the Sandow trophy. Should be a really interesting and close-fought battle, especially with at least 5 guys able to take the title.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If they can now only get bigger sponsor deals.

deals-1.jpg