• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Christian Bale, oscar? or least a nomination.

P

Pain

VIP
Just noticed on his IMDB page that he has never been nominated for an oscar. I thought The Machinist or American Psycho would of landed him at least a nomination. I guess being a jerk prevents you from winning or being nominated for an oscar.

While we are on the topic of actors that have never seen an oscar or a nomination. Heres a list of the top 20 Actors Never Nominated for an Oscar.

1. Jim Carrey - A far better actor than the “one trick comedy actor” label that he is sometimes branded with. An amazing performance in The Truman Show went un-noticed, along with fine work in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Man on the Moon.

2. Meg Ryan - Actually, you know I’m not all that surprised by this one, I’ve never thought she was much of a dramatic actress.

3. Richard Gere - Much like Ryan, most of his famous work has been in romantic comedies meaning his Oscar roles have been limited. Surprisingly over-looked in Chicago, when everyone around him virtually was nominated.

4. Sandra Bullock - Great actress, but again romantic comedies have been all too frequent in her career. Recent dramatic performances in Crash and Infamous may have been over-looked, but they may possibly show her future intent?

5. Steve Martin - Wow, I nearly rolled off the chair with this one? He’s never been nominated, really? Again though, a career in comedy hasn’t been favourably looked upon by the academy.

6. Kevin Bacon - One of the most under-rated actors of the 90’s.

7. Jeff Daniels - Not surprised.

8. Bruce Willis - One of the biggest movie stars of all time, and IMO a very fine actor. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and 12 Monkeys show how good his acting chops are and you know his performance in Die Hard was amazing. It truly was. I’m confident he will get his nomination at some point.

9. Martin Sheen - Apocalypse Now anyone?

10. Scarlett Johansson - I’m surprised by how anyone people call her talent less. Her performances in Lost in Translation and Match Point were fantastic and she’s still so very young. Long way to go in her career yet!

11. Matthew Broderick - Not surprised.

12. Jeffrey Wright - Not surprised, although he was impressive in Syriana.

13. Maria Bello - Great in A History of Violence, but probably not Oscar worthy.

14. Donald Sutherland - Great actor, extremely surprised by this one.

15. Ewan McGregor - Surprised by this one. Performances in Moulin Rouge and Big Fish must have been considered.

16. John Cusack - One of my favourite actors.

17. Isabella Rossellini - Great veteran actress. Amazing in Blue Velvet.

18. Dennis Quaid - Under-rated actor who doesn’t get enough meaty roles.

19. Steve Buscemi - Extremely surprised by this one. Brilliant actor who can transform himself completely into any role. Performances in Reservoir Dogs, Ghost World and Fargo shouldn’t have gone unnoticed.

20. Maggie Gyllenhaal - Like her quite a bit actually, great in Secretary and Mona Lisa Smile. Yet to see her in Sherrybaby, but I would be pleased if she got cast in The Dark Knight.

So that’s the list, any big surprises there for anyone?

Bruce Willis I was extremely shocked about.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I like Steve Buscemi. Also very surprised about Martin sheen.

P

Pain

VIP
I like Steve Buscemi. Also very surprised about Martin sheen.

I like Steve Buscemi because he always plays the weird, creepy, loser guy in all his movies.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
He can pull it off so well! I've seen him in other roles though before (don't ask me to name the movie/s) and I thought he was great.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
1. Jim Carrey - Isn't bad, but not an Oscar worthy star.
2. Meg Ryan - A whole lot of average.
3. Richard Gere - He has done some great roles but once again not Oscar worthy.
4. Sandra Bullock - Apparently good in Crash, but too many Romcoms.
5. Steve Martin - Comedians never get nominated unless they do something amazing in a drama.
6. Kevin Bacon - Woodsman is a great example of his chops. But too many roles that weren't in Oscar films.
7. Jeff Daniels - He goes from Speed to Blood Work and back to Dumb and Dumber. If he had a meaty role in a big film then he'd bag one.
8. Bruce Willis - Journeyman actor; pics great films but not necessarily any Oscar performances.
9. Martin Sheen - Yes where is his Oscar nomination or award? People thought he was the President of the USA for crying out loud.
10. Scarlett Johansson - Pretty but not an amazing actress. She'll be one that will continue to get roles even as she hits that "too old" bracket in Hollywood.
11. Matthew Broderick - :bowroflarms:
12. Jeffrey Wright - I had to Wiki..... Background player.
13. Maria Bello - She is great but will be ignored due to her "choices" of supporting roles in "arty" films.
14. Donald Sutherland - Another Journeyman.
15. Ewan McGregor - Solid but not terrific.
16. John Cusack - Solid but not terrific. Hasn't made anything good in awhile.
17. Isabella Rossellini - Not sure I've seen her really steal a scene.
18. Dennis Quaid - Really underrated and turns in great performances. Pity that he doesn't get something really meaty.
19. Steve Buscemi - Too bug-eyed to win. People find him annoying.
20. Maggie Gyllenhaal - I've only seen her give one decent performance (the Secretary)

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I got a boner in The Secretary.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Hasn't been released here as far as I know.

I'm getting a little sick of the movie industry and the way that they release movies. I understand that some films don't have huge release budgets, but so many are just shithouse in that they release films in Australia long after other countries. As a result I can actually buy some movies and TV shows on DVD long before they get a screening in Australia. As one example I'd seen 3:10 to Yuma on DVD before it had hit the cinemas here. Fucking pathetic!

/rant

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
4. Sandra Bullock - Apparently good in Crash
She's not.
tim290280 said:
7. Jeff Daniels - He goes from Speed to Blood Work and back to Dumb and Dumber. If he had a meaty role in a big film then he'd bag one.
The Squid and the Whale?
tim290280 said:
9. Martin Sheen - Yes where is his Oscar nomination or award? People thought he was the President of the USA for crying out loud.
This is the only one that surprised me.
tim290280 said:
12. Jeffrey Wright - I had to Wiki..... Background player.
Seriously?
tim290280 said:
17. Isabella Rossellini - Not sure I've seen her really steal a scene.
Have you seen Blue Velvet?
tim290280 said:
19. Steve Buscemi - Too bug-eyed to win. People find him annoying.
Who finds him annoying?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
She's not.
Glad I didn't bother with that one then.
The Squid and the Whale?
Haven't seen that one. In fact it looks interesting. I just did a quick search and my above statement about crappy release dates apply to this one too. Released Jan '05, wide release Oct '05, Australian release April '06. Guess when it was available on DVD.... March '06

This would be another one that has slipped through the cracks in the Australian market.

This is the only one that surprised me.
Ditto.
Seriously?
Once I put a face to a name I recognised his work. Although haven't seen W.
Have you seen Blue Velvet?
Nope. Missed that one. I'm starting to feel like I'm missing some great films here.
Who finds him annoying?
A friend of mine for a start (he is a budding director). Plenty of others find him to be that weird guy in films and thus annoying.

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I don't feel like quoting you and going through each sentence again, as I'm tired from arguing about criticism with Braaq at the moment. Anyway, yeah, The Squid and the Whale and Blue Velvet are both well worth your time; the latter being my favorite Lynch. I can see why people find Buscemi annoying, though I don't think that's why he hasn't been nominated for a statuette. Jeffrey Wright I figured you'd recognize from Syriana, though he too often is subverted to the background of a film (Quantum of Solace being of no exception).