• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Smolov Training Program

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey guys,

So as some of you might know, Im currently going through post operation recovery on my right shoulder. I tore my labrum, so I had arthroscopic surgery done, which now makes me have a sling on for 6 weeks. I'm three weeks in and I'm not really able to do a whole lot with my upper body, other than some various one arm movements I do for my left side. I am however able to do leg exercises, smith machine back squats, leg press, leg extensions and curls.

During this time of recovery on my shoulder, I was thinking I could focus on my bringing up my legs, since I can't focus on my upper body much. I've been looking into the Smolov training Program. It seems pretty damn tough, but its supposed to work really well.

Has anyone tried it? If so how were your results? Any suggestions?
Anyone heard someone else whose done it?
Any scientific input? (looking at you Tim!)

Any input at all is appreciated. I look forward to all the responses.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
elfreako did it if I remember it correctly. You can find his training in the log section. Imo its hard but a great way to bring up your squats. Imo a good choice. Since you wont be doing much upperbody work you dont have to be concerned about overtraining that much. Just give it a go

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Has anyone tried it? If so how were your results? Any suggestions?
Anyone heard someone else whose done it?
Any scientific input? (looking at you Tim!)

Any input at all is appreciated. I look forward to all the responses.

I've done a short cycle. It didn't fit in around my work schedule very well. You also have to select your weights carefully if you haven't done a 1RM recently.

As to science; it is from the Eastern block and probably unpublished (could be wrong and can't be bothered searching) and is weightlifting in origin. Most weightlifting programs are both science and experience based programs based on many athletes. This makes them excellent programs.

http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Brutal program but great results. My legs ballooned in the aftermath.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I did the smolov jr for bench. It was pretty rough but worked very well. If you just got done with surgery your immune system may still be recovery too. If you go for it just be smart and listen to your body.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i also did smolov jr for bench and loved it.
my bench was lagging but in 3 weeks i was able to bring my numbers up big time.
im hopefully going to do a full cycle squat sometime maybe over the summer.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I've done Jr for bench and deads and the full program for squats.

Added about 10kg to my bench, 30kg to my deads and 45kg to my squats. It is intense, repeating a movement 4 times a week and you will curse his name often, esp. if you do the squat or dead cycles and are unable to walk properly or if you tear your calluses from deadlifting.

Read these:
http://wkak.net/SmolovFAQ.htm
http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

And if you google it or search it on t-nation you'll find a lot of other people's experiences to read.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks a lot guys, all of this is helping me a lot! I'm going to try to get my one rep max tomorrow, so I can figure out my numbers I'm going to use for the program.

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ El Freako: I'll probably have a lot more questions, but here is my first. After the initial 4 weeks of the Smolov Program, when do you try and find your new 1RM? The website http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

Says on week 4 the last two sessions, work up to a near 1RM. Does that mean I should just try to find my new 1 RM? Because as I've read before, you take a 2 week break after those 4 brutal weeks of squatting. correct?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
@ El Freako: I'll probably have a lot more questions, but here is my first. After the initial 4 weeks of the Smolov Program, when do you try and find your new 1RM? The website http://www.ontariostrongman.ca/Resources/training/smolovsquatcycle.htm

Says on week 4 the last two sessions, work up to a near 1RM. Does that mean I should just try to find my new 1 RM? Because as I've read before, you take a 2 week break after those 4 brutal weeks of squatting. correct?

Yeah, find your new RM then. You don't have to work up to a near max both days if you don't want to. I just maxed out on the final day. On the two week break make sure you do the recommended speed work. I didn't and my first week back to it was a tad rough from all my time off.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
True, thanks man, great advice!

Second question, What is the speed work? Thanks!