• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Massage after exercise impairs blood flow

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
http://qnc.queensu.ca/story_loader.php?id=4a01a1eab47e8

Massage after exercise myth busted by Queen’s research team
Massage actually impairs blood flow to the muscle after exercise

Kingston, ON – A Queen’s University research team has blown open the myth that massage after exercise improves circulation to the muscle and assists in the removal of lactic acid and other waste products.

“This dispels a common belief in the general public about the way in which massage is beneficial,” says Kinesiology and Health Studies professor Michael Tschakovsky. “It also dispels that belief among people in the physical therapy profession. All the physical therapy professionals that I have talked to, when asked what massage does, answer that it improves muscle blood flow and helps get rid of lactic acid. Ours is the first study to challenge this and rigorously test its validity.”

The belief that massage aids in the removal of lactic acid from muscle tissue is so pervasive it is even listed on the Canadian Sports Massage Therapists website as one of the benefits of massage, despite there being absolutely no scientific research to back this up.

Kinesiology MSc candidate Vicky Wiltshire and Dr. Tschakovsky set out to discover if this untested hypothesis was true, and their results show that massage actually impairs blood flow to the muscle after exercise, and that it therefore also impairs the removal of lactic acid from muscle after exercise.

This study will be presented at the annual American College of Sports Medicine conference in Seattle, Washington May 27-30, 2009

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good find !!!

thanks for sharing Ironslave :tiphat:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is going to be interesting!

I know a lot of athletes get rub downs in-game and this could change the way they use them...... in maybe ten years (you see athletes still static stretch like mad before during and after games).

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know it increases blood flow to some "muscles"...

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting.

Remember how Lee Haney used to rub his biceps between sets?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Not even I'm that old.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the little "in" crowd here at mm taking constant shots at a guy like sexnews who really does add to the site is one of the reasons this place has been slowing down.

here i'll say it so you guys stop. you're all so cool, now please stop bullying a good member.

edit: this may seem unwarranted since there's really not much of that in this thread, but sexnews seems to be the brunt of all the "cool kids'" jokes and insults around here

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It was a joke, Duality. Nothing more than that and MM are full of them and always has been.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the little "in" crowd here at mm taking constant shots at a guy like sexnews who really does add to the site is one of the reasons this place has been slowing down.

here i'll say it so you guys stop. you're all so cool, now please stop bullying a good member.

edit: this may seem unwarranted since there's really not much of that in this thread, but sexnews seems to be the brunt of all the "cool kids'" jokes and insults around here

Huh? sexnews is becoming more and more of a valuable member lately (at a time when the opposite is typically occuring).....

.... it's not like we said he's as old as Freakzilla or anything, we're not that mean....

D

Delusion

Thx a lot for the arcticle. I'm studying to become a Physiotherapist, so I'll be bringing this arcticle to my teachers on monday :p. Never been a fan of passive treatment methods anyways, so great news. Believe the future of massage in sports, if any, will be from laser massage, which has been proven in tests to be accelarating the natural healing process after after injuries etc.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ It was a joke, Duality. Nothing more than that and MM are full of them and always has been.

Yes. It was a friendly comment/joke. If I was trying to be insulting I would have made it a nasty comment.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Huh? sexnews is becoming more and more of a valuable member lately (at a time when the opposite is typically occuring)

Thanx for the kind words! (maybe you just feel that way because I don't post in the politics threads anymore?) :keke:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanx for the kind words! (maybe you just feel that way because I don't post in the politics threads anymore?) :keke:

Posting in the politics section is fine, just try and keep the religious stereotypes to a minimum.