• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Bodybuilding show canceled due to drug testers

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Intersteting article I found on MSN.com homepage. the link is
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/stor...s-flee-drug-testers;-event-canceled?GT1=39002

article is:
Bodybuilders flee drug testers; event canceled

BRUSSELS (AP) - Ready to flex their pecs and strike a pose, bodybuilders at the Belgian championships scattered when doping officials showed up.

After a spate of positive doping tests in recent years in Belgium, the event had been moved across the Dutch border to Vlissingen for the weekend competition.

"They must have felt safe out there," doping official Hans Cooman told the Associated Press on Monday.

But Cooman and two colleagues got the necessary papers to check the tournament in the Netherlands. And when they identified themselves just before the event — with the 20 bodybuilders weighing in and preparing themselves — the testers drew quite a response.

The bodybuilders got up and left, preferring to quit rather than submit to doping tests. Some grabbed their gear and headed straight out the door.

"They must have been flabbergasted," Cooman said.

Bodybuilders usually take months to prepare for such championships, yet the sight of controllers was too much for them.

"I have never seen anything like it and hope never to see anything like it again," Cooman said.

Bodybuilding has a long history of doping, and Cooman said this latest flap "didn't do its reputation any good."

Last year, 22 of 29 tests were positive, either for steroids or for refusing testing, a failure rate of a staggering 75 percent.

"This was the first time though we turned up in the Netherlands," Cooman said.

Minutes before the start of the championships, before even one gleaming pose was on display, organizers had no option but to tell a few hundred fans that had come to the Arsenaal theater that there was not point in staying.

Now Cooman and his colleagues will report the case to the disciplinary committee, which will have to decide whether the bodybuilders can be punished because they refused to be tested.

A man who refused to give his name at the NABBA Belgium bodybuilding federation could not explain why the competitors had suddenly rushed off and would not discuss the matter.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i tell you if i was one of those guys i would be super pissed.

flee? they made it sound like those guys all oiled up and in their trunks starting escaping through the windows and hidden doors.

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nice find. Thanks for posting.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So let me get this straight. A bunch of drug testers who were not invited to attend the show turned up anyway and tried to assert some authority over an event that they most likely had no right to be at???

If the show already had its own testing policy and the BBers had signed up for that then these guys sound like they are not welcome. I'm guessing that these testers like to target BBers for press like this and are widely renowned as arseholes.

Doesn't the NABBA have its own testers and testing policy? So why would these guys even need to be there?

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's pretty sad. It's none of their business to barge in there and ruin a show that these athletes prepared hard for, and not to mention the fans out there to support. Easy targets.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Whew, anybody else feel they can sleep better tonight knowing that a bunch of severely dehydrated bodybuilders aren't going to flex their muscles and traumatize today's youth?

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
sorry if I missed it, but who do these "doping officials" work for? and what types of power do they have in terms of enforcement?

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
All 20 claimed to be natural. :keke:

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
no afaik it was an untest contest

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If I was one of those athletes, after suffering a severe diet, I'll kill those fucking officials.

raggamuffini

raggamuffini

A bit off the topic, but imagine if there would have been a couple of great whites who would have done the test..
Actually I think the officials could have been the great whites :rofl3:

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
Man, that's like setting up Woodstock and saying, "No LSD."

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Man, that's like setting up Woodstock and saying, "No LSD."

:bitenails::bitenails::bitenails: