• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Critique my low-box squat

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
3 x 160kg

This is the first time I've gone so low with heavy weight on the box. The angle of the vid only looks parallel but it was below that by a couple of inches. My first eccentric rep wasn't great because I forgot how low I was going and dropped the last inch or 2. I also think I may be rocking too much on my way back up again but I discovered I can stop this in the following set by not straightening up when sitting on the box.

Any other thoughts?

You'll have to pardon the gay-ass music. All I could hear was Fear Factory.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looks good to me man, solid set!

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Your sitting down too hard and don't rock back on the box, just keep the tension in your back as your sit down and get up again - otherwise it looks fine.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Your sitting down too hard and don't rock back on the box, just keep the tension in your back as your sit down and get up again - otherwise it looks fine.

I think I'm sitting down to hard because I'm not used to the lower box. I tried to rectify that in the following set with the lighter weight.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
box squats, is that kind of like what a floor press is to the bench? im really having trouble in the bottom with my squats. guess i should give these a try with a low box...

btw whats ur regular squat at right now freako?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
box squats, is that kind of like what a floor press is to the bench? im really having trouble in the bottom with my squats. guess i should give these a try with a low box...

btw whats ur regular squat at right now freako?

Boxies help train your drive out of the hole by removing the rebound effect caused by muscular tension. This way your concentric movement receives no carry-over from your eccentric movement. Also it teaches you to squat to a good depth since your depth is pre-set.

My current squat max is 200kg but I'm hoping for 220kg in the next month.

co05

co05

Suppose I already squat with good depth but have trouble with getting out of the hole on heavier sets. Should I do box squats with the box set to my normal depth?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Suppose I already squat with good depth but have trouble with getting out of the hole on heavier sets. Should I do box squats with the box set to my normal depth?

Box squats are one of the best exercises for training both the squat and deadlift. They force you to use your hips and posterior chain more to drive you out of the hole.

Is your normal depth at true parallel? Set the box so you have to break parallel or go even lower to make sure. You can also use high-box squats to overcome sticking points further up in the movement.

co05

co05

My normal depth is past parallel, usually at or near ATG. Do I set the box at that point?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Set the box at your normal depth or deeper. It might be worth varying the depth occasionally.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

What Essensen said.

Plus I'm not a fan of actually sitting into the box as it does encourage that compression of the spine and possible rounding. I prefer the touch and go method. Which means you really have to pause for a count in the bottom position to get the same effect. Those 2-3 counts are the longest seconds of your life.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nothing extra to mention about form that hasnt been said already. A very solid set bro. I like to throw them in every now and again to reduce the elastic effect that helps you out of the hole a lot. I do sometimes recommend a full sit at the bottom because you have to actually re-recruit the muscles for the concentric portion. Like Tim said though, just tappin the arse at the bottom is brutal as well.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Box squats are ok. But think of the compression on your spine that 160kg is doing every time you sit down.
What has worked well for me and ultimately does the same thing but even better is 3 second rest pause sets. Every rep you do on squat you hold for 3 seconds at the bottom and then power up. Trust me, your squat will jump up big time.

Good luck buddy :2:

jonathan

jonathan

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I will try that with my box squates

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Box squats are ok. But think of the compression on your spine that 160kg is doing every time you sit down.
What has worked well for me and ultimately does the same thing but even better is 3 second rest pause sets. Every rep you do on squat you hold for 3 seconds at the bottom and then power up. Trust me, your squat will jump up big time.

Good luck buddy :2:

I've changed my tactics since this vid was made. I'm still box squatting but using a touch-pause-fire technique. I'm no longer fully sitting on the box, just touching it with my ass and pausing there for a couple of seconds before firing up.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Yeh I've been doing the pause while touching and it has been tough.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I don't use a box when I do a 3 second rest pause. I sit in the hole with nothing keeping me up but an isometric contraction. Brutal.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Too much risk on my knee squatting as deep as I do. It doesn't take too much to have the knee itself holding the position. It would be fine at a parallel or more shallow position.

With the box I'm reminded not to go any lower.