• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

quick questions for personal knowledge

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What is the difference between the amino acids sold in a container specifically stating amino acids and a tub of whey protein?
dont they.. in the end both consist of amino acids?
what is the difference?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
They're already broken down into amino acids thereby allowing faster absorption. :bitelip:

Its the same principle as using whey protein powder instead of eating a steak. If you want faster absorption you'd consume the whey protein as the steak requires longer digestion to break it down into its composite nutrients.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
they're more or less indentical. buy a high quality protein with a good amino acid profile and you don't need to buy aminos individually.

good question chewie

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thx both of you!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Amino acids by themselves in supplements are typically in the free form which theoretically allows for quicker absorption. They have their time and place but for most people, your protein from food supplies you with plenty.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is Layne Norton's stand. I should mention that this is just his educated point of view but it is yet to hold up in peer reviewed literature.

Norton: BCAAs have been shown in scientific research to increase protein synthesis and reduce protein degradation. However, many people suggest that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein, which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion and absorbed into the bloodstream in order to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all of the amino acids to be liberated and absorbed into the bloodstream. However, BCAAs in supplement form are free-form BCAAs and require no digestion. Therefore, they are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids.

Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels to a much greater extent than a 30 gram dose of whey protein. It will also impact protein synthesis to a greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on the blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver. Therefore, an oral supplement is almost like a BCAA injection because it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is Layne Norton's stand. I should mention that this is just his educated point of view but it is yet to hold up in peer reviewed literature.

Norton: BCAAs have been shown in scientific research to increase protein synthesis and reduce protein degradation. However, many people suggest that one can just increase their consumption of whey protein, which is rich in BCAAs. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The BCAAs in whey are peptide bound to other amino acids and must be liberated through digestion and absorbed into the bloodstream in order to exert their effects. Even though whey protein is relatively fast digesting, it still takes several hours for all of the amino acids to be liberated and absorbed into the bloodstream. However, BCAAs in supplement form are free-form BCAAs and require no digestion. Therefore, they are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, spiking blood amino acids to a much greater extent than peptide bound amino acids.

Even a few grams of BCAAs will spike plasma levels to a much greater extent than a 30 gram dose of whey protein. It will also impact protein synthesis to a greater degree. The reason a supplement has such a powerful effect on the blood levels of BCAAs is that unlike other amino acids, BCAAs are not metabolized to a significant extent by the small intestine or the liver. Therefore, an oral supplement is almost like a BCAA injection because it reaches the bloodstream so rapidly.
Layne's isn't the only opinion on the matter and there are some interesting takes on aminos.

I think Layne's point actually has more relevance just to Leucine and its ability to turn off catabolism quickly. Leucine on its own has been shown to have great benefits during the PWO window and is believed to be the actual trigger in most of the BCAA, whey and casein supplement findings for the switch to anabolism.

So aside from leucine I'm not really sold on the idea of individual amino supplementation. Whey and casein have so many other benefits over and above anything any one amino can provide. Plus I see such little benefit in micromanaging details like this when most people have pretty ordinary diet and training habits.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that injection of BCAA directly into the blood sounded pretty interesting..

what would happen if one injected the peptide bounded amino acids directly into the blood?