• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

bruises on both shoulders?

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have these spots,lines, circles on top of both my shoulders
they appear to be like bruises,

QUESTION: is it a bruise(s)? and what do i do to make it heal, better etc?
heres a pic to show how it looks in comparison to the color of it not size.
the bruise i have on both shoulders are tiny,uneven etc, .

bruise_2-1.jpg

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looks like a bruise to me. But I am long sighted.

Bhana

Bhana

Sometimes Bruises like that can be caused by the pressure of the bar resting on your body. I tend to get them on ma trap area after squatting. Thats the only explanation I can think of.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's by doing standing calf raises on the machine. Sometimes the pads are so worn out it does little to protect the shoulders. But you just have to grind out the reps. I used to get this but over time your body gets used to it, and it goes away.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I used to get them from standing calf-raises too. They go away after a few days then come back the following week after calves again.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Have to say I wasn't guessing at what caused it. But I agree with everyone that suggested the standing calf raise machine. I shifted to single leg to try and stop getting those bruises with marginal success.

But I've also gotten them from DB presses or an from the barbell being loose against the shoulders.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I get an awesome patch of dry flaky skin on my upper back from squatting, due to the fact I don't use the pussy-pad. It gets nice and red-raw after high volume work too. Also when I Smolov'd deadlifts I got killer ingrown hairs on my upper quads from dragging the bar over them on lockout. I wear them as badges of pride.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I always get killer bruises (although not visible) on my shoulders from front squats. My traps felt perpetually bruised through the first half of smolov lol...

Standing calf raise seems to be the only exercise that leaves marks though.

Bhana

Bhana

I get an awesome patch of dry flaky skin on my upper back from squatting, due to the fact I don't use the pussy-pad. It gets nice and red-raw after high volume work too.

I used to get that when I had no choice but to squat on a smith. lol pussy pads, people just need to man up :umwtf:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Standing claves raises. I switched to single-leg with little effect. No matter what i do, i almost inject my t-shirt into my shouder, hence the scratches.

I've learnt to live with them.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I guess you guys are right, since i started using the standing calf raise only 4 weeks ago, from 350 to whole stack (500lbs) after 7 reps i feel pressure on my shoulders..i wouldn't even consider these shoulder rests as "pads" its like covered thick cardboard.. :S

thanks guys.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think it's by doing standing calf raises on the machine. Sometimes the pads are so worn out it does little to protect the shoulders. But you just have to grind out the reps. I used to get this but over time your body gets used to it, and it goes away.

Exactly, I get them from that as well and so I stopped using it. Bothered my back as well, so I don't miss that machine at all.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I get an awesome patch of dry flaky skin on my upper back from squatting, due to the fact I don't use the pussy-pad. It gets nice and red-raw after high volume work too. Also when I Smolov'd deadlifts I got killer ingrown hairs on my upper quads from dragging the bar over them on lockout. I wear them as badges of pride.

I hate those pads, the bar feels too bulky and mobile with those things.

I also get bruises and scrapes on my shins from deadlifting + C&J + snatches. My shins are slowly getting used to it and hardening the fuck up.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I hate those pads, the bar feels too bulky and mobile with those things.

I also get bruises and scrapes on my shins from deadlifting + C&J + snatches. My shins are slowly getting used to it and hardening the fuck up.

You know whats worse?.. When they use the pussy pads.. THEN wrap the towel around the bar :umwtf:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You know whats worse?.. When they use the pussy pads.. THEN wrap the towel around the bar :umwtf:

:doh:

I seriously think that the pussy-pad and gloves and using a towel on the bar while squatting are all signs that the person in question has no idea about weight training.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im not going to stop using it, since its the only calf pressing machine i like, cus of standing still, and not having to sit or be in leg press sled etc.. keep my spine straight just press.
as long as i don't feel any pain on the spots im not gonna worry.

Chesticles

Chesticles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:doh:

I seriously think that the pussy-pad and gloves and using a towel on the bar while squatting are all signs that the person in question has no idea about weight training.
I can understand gloves for deadlifts and such, even I use them for that. But who the hell uses gloves to squat?

2quantify

Not sure if this is the right place or not, but, how can I change my squatting form to alieve the pain in the bones of my upper neck? Not using the foam, nor do I feel that it will solve my problem if its bad form.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I can understand gloves for deadlifts and such, even I use them for that. But who the hell uses gloves to squat?

I do. I use it to move lots of weight around on the leg press, or squat rack etc. I use it mainly because I have tendonitis and have to keep my wrists/forearms tight. Not everyone that wears gloves are pussies. :borat:

2quantify, try putting the bar lower on your back (around the traps). The bar shouldn't be resting on your neck at all. It's real comfortable.