• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Insuline spike Post or Pre ?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
When is the insulin spike more usefull, pre or post workout?

does it make sence spiking insulin pre workout?

or is it just a post workout requesit?

- is spiking insulin compatible with the two training times?

let's break down the insulin spike.

(these matter has been bogging me this whole week, damn CT article.)

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Their is a whole misconception about the "insulin spike". Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body but it is indiscriminate about what type of tissue it builds adipose(fat) tissue or muscle. Before your workout eat for performance have slow burning carbohydrates and some polyunsaturated fats. After you workout the first thing that you want to do is restore a normal blood sugar because that is top priority for your body. So after the workout you want a spike because your blood sugar levels are lower than normal, so you spike them to bring them up to normal or slightly higher. Putting amino acids in now would be a good idea also. After you have carbohydrates you should ingest protein post workout to start repairing your damaged tissues from working out. Save the big carbohydrate meal for post workout because it serves a specific purpose which is bringing your body back to normal blood glucose levels or slightly higher than normal.

Insulin again is the most anabolic hormone in your body we want to be building tissues after we workout because we have just broken tissues down, and anabolic means making smaller molecules atoms and ions in your body larger into larger ones. So insulin becomes present because of carbohydrates and we need lots of amino acids/ grams of protein so your body can build the proteins it needs to heal your damaged tissues.

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm with BigBen here. Insulin-spike after WO; not before. In some cases it can be beneficial to experiment with taking in fast-acting carbohydrates during the WO.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
a good meal 1 hour before

Mid Wk - maybe some aminos and sort of Gatorade

After - Protein, 70 -80 gr of dextrose, creatine.

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
a good meal 1 hour before

Geez, if I have a meal 1 hour before my workout I throw up, I have to have at least 2-3 hours before my workout.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, pre-workout it would make no sense.

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
simple carbs after workout

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
^ Thankyou so much, I never knew that.

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Their is a whole misconception about the "insulin spike". Insulin is the most anabolic hormone in the body but it is indiscriminate about what type of tissue it builds adipose(fat) tissue or muscle. Before your workout eat for performance have slow burning carbohydrates and some polyunsaturated fats. After you workout the first thing that you want to do is restore a normal blood sugar because that is top priority for your body. So after the workout you want a spike because your blood sugar levels are lower than normal, so you spike them to bring them up to normal or slightly higher. Putting amino acids in now would be a good idea also. After you have carbohydrates you should ingest protein post workout to start repairing your damaged tissues from working out. Save the big carbohydrate meal for post workout because it serves a specific purpose which is bringing your body back to normal blood glucose levels or slightly higher than normal.

Insulin again is the most anabolic hormone in your body we want to be building tissues after we workout because we have just broken tissues down, and anabolic means making smaller molecules atoms and ions in your body larger into larger ones. So insulin becomes present because of carbohydrates and we need lots of amino acids/ grams of protein so your body can build the proteins it needs to heal your damaged tissues.

Great post mate!:thumbsup2:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

VIP
I have my pre-wo meal 45-60 min prior to the gym. :drool:

What does that consist of? Maybe I have to wiat so long because I have an actually meal loaded with kcals not just a little pre workout meal like a banana.

B

bigdan

Post workout works best for me.

Future

Future

All valid points. I have been experimenting with insuline preworkout in just two sessions. The thought is its better for getting lean but also even more risky if done wrong. To scale down my experience to the athlete I will say that it depends on the goals and the style of training. Because I use more volume a spike seems to work for me. A lower volume approach may not even be necessary.