• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

When are we Bodybuilders

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Recently stubled on a similar thread on another board and wanted to know what people here think about the matter.

I think I am a bodybuilder. I train hard, eat well and take Bodybuilding very serious. Others (mainly competitive Bodybuilders) would disagree with me and say I am only a Bodybuilder if I compete.

IMO, whoever weight trains to build muscle and get bigger is a BODYBUILDER. That's what your doing right!? Your BODY-BUILDING and Whoever steps on stage is a COMPETITIVE bodybuilder. It's as simple as that I think.

I am a body builder because I train to get bigger. I just havent stepped onstage yet, but when I do, I will be a competitive bodybuilder.

Whats your take peeps? :gaysign:

Oh and I hope this isn't a repost of some sort.

P

Pain

VIP
I'd say its more of a hobby if you aren't doing it to compete.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is a thread like this but its pretty old.

I would say if you compete you are a bodybuilder.
Its like any other sport to me, i dont go around and call myself a basketball player because i play for fun or enter the maker.

I like to bodybuild and play basketball for hobbies.

thats my take

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have to disagree with you Lance. Kinda like what Rage said. If i play basketball in my drive way I don't call myself a basketball player. And I never here anyone ever say I am a competitive basketball player compared to just a regular basketball player.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
IMO, whoever weight trains to build muscle and get bigger is a BODYBUILDER. That's what your doing right!? Your BODY-BUILDING and Whoever steps on stage is a COMPETITIVE bodybuilder. It's as simple as that I think.

I agree with that. :2:

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i gotta agree with lance. because i think bodybuilding is more than a sport. it's not the same as fotball or basketball. bodybuilding is just as much a choice of lifestyle as it is a sport. and if u lead that lifestyle day in and day out but choose not to compete, then u are in my mind a bodybuilder, not a competitive one, but nevertheless a bodybuilder.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
i concider myself a bodybuilder and i dont plan on competing for a long time because i dont feel like i can win any competitions currently but i feel like i build muscle throughout pretty evenly and i dont have too many weaknesses. I dont think you need to be competetive to be a bodybuilder, thats why there are terms such as "competetive bodybuilder " it means your a bodybuilder who competes ..... if competing defines you as a bodybuilder then there wouldnt be such a term as "competitive bodybuilder" i would be just BODYBUILDER since you can only be a bodybuilder if you compete.

pGhi

pGhi

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have to disagree with you Lance. Kinda like what Rage said. If i play basketball in my drive way I don't call myself a basketball player. And I never here anyone ever say I am a competitive basketball player compared to just a regular basketball player.

But basketball players do train too, not only play against other teams...U cant compete against other people in bodybuilding every weekend but its VERY possible in basketball, right? So I think bodybuilding just needs more time...

So if u think that you will compete, then u are a bodybuilder :bitenails:

buzzkill44

buzzkill44

i agree with lance. i haven't competed yet because i want to have a good chance when i step on stage. does that make me less of a bodybuilder then the guy who steps on stage with no muscle just to get some experience while he's young? if you get noticed for having a good physique and are larger than a normal man, then your a bodybuilder. like bev francis said in an article the biggest mistake most bodybuilders make is competing when they aren't competitive in the sense that they don't have enough muscle. why diet and sacrifice gaining more muscle when you know your potential.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is a really simple one. I don't see too many people kicking a ball around in a park calling themselves football players. It is only when they compete at some level they lay that claim.

Just becaues you rock up at a gym and lift some weights and get lean to go to the beach doesn't make you a BBer. Competition lean and the dieting needed is a whole other level.

I think people who have competed at some level in sports understand what I mean.

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree 100% with Tim.

I think a lot of those guys in the gym who have 'invisible lat syndrom' consider themselves 'bodybuilders'. I myself dont even think of building a body or what ever. I am just some guy who likes lifting weights and keeping fit.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It's all lame semantics.

If my friend asks me what sports I like to play, and I answer by telling him I'm more of a baseball player than basketball player, I'd say that's acceptable use of "player." By that logic, in a casual conversation, I wouldn't really care if one of my non-competitive gym buddies described himself as a bodybuilder.

On the other hand, say I'm filling out tax forms, and I write "baseball player," or "bodybuilder," as an occupation, it's a bit less acceptable, eh?

:bullwhip:

Probably those who compete should be called bodybuilders. Those who don't, but still train, should just say they are "bodybuilding."

(The difference between I play football and I'm a football player, in practical usage.)

MarkoB

MarkoB

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i gotta agree with lance. because i think bodybuilding is more than a sport. it's not the same as fotball or basketball. bodybuilding is just as much a choice of lifestyle as it is a sport. and if u lead that lifestyle day in and day out but choose not to compete, then u are in my mind a bodybuilder, not a competitive one, but nevertheless a bodybuilder.

Agree with that :gaysign:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Pain, it is a hobby, if you dont compete, i can't tell people i am a bb'er when i dont "compete" to be honest, i think it just makes the true bb'er looks bad. they who compete are true bb'ers.

patdiddy

patdiddy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Agree.....

The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah i think that if you are lifting weights to get bigger youre defenitly building a body shape of your taste or desire so youre defenitly being a "body" builder

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah i think that if you are lifting weights to get bigger youre defenitly building a body shape of your taste or desire so youre defenitly being a "body" builder

As Pain said; that is just a hobby. You aren't in a sport unless you compete.

The sport of BBing is so much more than "building a body".

Put another way the guy that rocks up and does bicep curls in the squat rack every session could qualify as a BBer under the definitions a lot of you are trying to throw out there. What resemblance does the squat rack curler have to a BBer? None. The chick that does yoga in the sauna room is also "building a body" so guess she is a BBer too....... :bitelip:

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree 100%.

Anyway tim290280, some of us body build religiously, but will never be able to compete on stage because we weren't born with great genetics. I would love to compete, but I don't have super wide shoulders and a small waist (I'm like Gunter with out the wide shoulders).

I think a lot of it has to do with the attitude too. Back in the Golden Era of bodybuilding, even before that, bodybuilders were people that you can look up to. They were positive, hard working, down the earth, manly mans. That's what it's all about for me, I think you learn a lot in the gym and it makes you a better person too. Bill Pearl is a prime example of this. But that's my opinion though.

jwill0214

jwill0214

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As Pain said; that is just a hobby. You aren't in a sport unless you compete.

The sport of BBing is so much more than "building a body".

Put another way the guy that rocks up and does bicep curls in the squat rack every session could qualify as a BBer under the definitions a lot of you are trying to throw out there. What resemblance does the squat rack curler have to a BBer? None. The chick that does yoga in the sauna room is also "building a body" so guess she is a BBer too....... :bitelip:

TIM you are 100% correct.