• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Can I do just ATG squats for lower body ?

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am currently doing my full body routine and I feel squats are superior to anything I throw in after them.

Can I just up the sets of squats and do just that for lower body ? Let's say 7-10x5-10 of squats depending if it's heavy or light day.

I am doing them with perfect form and ass to grass. By the way, I train lower body for strength mainly, upper body for hypertrophy partially.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To an extent yes. If you think of all the other exercises, they are basically just a less intense form of the contraction you get from a squat. However, I do think you should throw in some GHR's from time to time to further develop the glutes and hams.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To an extent yes. If you think of all the other exercises, they are basically just a less intense form of the contraction you get from a squat. However, I do think you should throw in some GHR's from time to time to further develop the glutes and hams.

I don't have a GHR "machine" in my gym, what can I do otherwise ?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
id throw in 3-4 sets of leg curls/sldl's aswell and ull be golden:2:

_ROBERTiNHO_

_ROBERTiNHO_

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Ghetto GHR, use your imagination. Try to use pulley, like this:

It's possible even on a smith machine and a bench or ask to someone holds your ankles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks guys !!!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Ghetto GHRs are fun (not) and easy, although I think good-mornings are a superior exercise.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ATG squats + calf raises.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
ATG squats + calf raises.

If he's only wanting to do the minimum number of exercises then calf-raises are right at the end of the list along with leg extensions and abductor and adductor work. That is unless calves are a big weakness for him. Squat walkouts and squats themselves do wonders for the calves.

co05

co05

Like Freako said, do good mornings. It's a good movement your hamstrings and lower back, two areas that are vital to your squat.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kinda already covered. ATG will still need hammy work if you are quad or glute dominant.

I like the idea of a GHR or SLDL or GM. Perhaps a single leg SLDL would keep the volume down a bit.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kinda already covered. ATG will still need hammy work if you are quad or glute dominant.

I like the idea of a GHR or SLDL or GM. Perhaps a single leg SLDL would keep the volume down a bit.

I am very ham "dominant"

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I feel as thought ATG squats work quads and my hammies, though at work, the stuff i do (lifting) works my hammies already, to be honest just from going to work they are big, but need work on quads.

for you, ATG + calf raises. do you feel any work in hammies?
i know its not "suppose" to work them, but for me, the 5 second pause at the bottom (when Ass to ground ****) i flex both legs at the same time, you should try that out man :)

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do you feel any work in hammies?
i know its not "suppose" to work them, but for me, the 5 second pause at the bottom (when Ass to ground ****) i flex both legs at the same time, you should try that out man :)

Yeah I do bro, I have huge DOMS in them afterwords.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you do floor deads, they hit the hams pretty hard too, i would say ATG squats and every 2 weeks some iso ham work

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
People told me to drop them from my full body routine D:

The focus is on big exercises, but lunges or split squats can fill that role. Wouldn't do them every single time, but once in the week or every couple of weeks would be a good option.

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is what I am going to do mofos, once in a while I will do GHr's or lunges.

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!