• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Nutrition before A.M. Workout

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I recently moved into a new house and my new gym is literally 2 minutes away from my house. For workouts in the A.M., I'm usually up 5:15 and at the gym by 6:00. My question is what should I eat pre-workout? I usually take from 5:15 to 5:45 to actually wake up but I really don't like training on an empty stomach. Post workout (7:00) I usually have eggs and a little potato. Any thoughts would help me out. FYI, if it matters, I'm around 205 lbs at the moment and maintaining.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Eh go for something fast in the morning if your going to workout that quickly after waking like i mean even a gatorade before the workout j so u have something in your blood before you hit the gym.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Like ben said just throw together something fast and have a larger meal before bed. I always would do xtend with gatorade powder for pre/intra workout.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd also be thinking carefully about what exercises you do that early after waking.

Your spine is still rather inflexible at that point and your muscles, joints, ligaments and tendons are not "elastic". I'd almost put anything like squats at the end of the session.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Protein shake + 1/4 cup of oats blended up in water, and you are good to go.

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, I used to get to the gym on a full stomach in the mornings but I'd get through my workout all right. There were some times where I'd squat and feel like throwing up, but I'd rather be full and strong then come in the gym feeling weak. And you have to make sure to warm up the entire body.

Jumping squats (bodyweight) warm up the body pretty quickly before a squat session, and of course some stretching.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Threw some oats into my protein shake and took it about 20 minutes before training. Didn't really feel any more full than I do on an empty stomach, but at least it's something in my system.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ good idea, some whey+ oats is always good

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The only problem with slower digesting nutrients is that you dont want your stomach and muscles fighting for who gets blood. Digestion of complex carbohydrates requires a great deal of blood and so does exercising muscles. The muscles will take priority and this is why some folks end up vomiting.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ true, that's why u should take it at least 1 hour before the session. So if you train at 6 am, drink it at 5 am

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ true, that's why u should take it at least 1 hour before the session. So if you train at 6 am, drink it at 5 am

Correct. Although, not a huge issue except for on leg days.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

5:15 is already hard enough to wake up on time, so if that is indeed the case, I'm going to have to find some other alternative. It's just not possible to wake up any earlier.

J

jacked475

I usually also throw in some oats with my Pre-workout shake. + I carry a banana to the gym, just in case i start feeling depleted.