• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Info needed for Sports Nutrition course-

B

bvonrod

Hello all, my name is Brett and I'm currently completing a course on Sports Nutrition. One of my assignments is to evaluate a bodybuilder's (male and female) diet and supplement scheduling. Anyone willing to share their approach to nutrition and supplementation, it would be greatly appreciated. Just some basic info such as the percentages of protein/carbs/fats per day or meal. The main foods used to accomplish your required nutrition. Lastly, the number of meals/day and caloric needs that are met along with your approach to supplement usage. Thank you all for your time.

Brett

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Many would be willing to help, but you're going to need to be more specific.

The following paper will probably be all you need. Let me get the full text for you now to have.

Lambert CP, Frank LL, Evans WJ.. Macronutrient considerations for the sport of bodybuilding.
Sports Med. 2004;34(5):317-27.

Participants in the sport of bodybuilding are judged by appearance rather than performance. In this respect, increased muscle size and definition are critical elements of success. The purpose of this review is to evaluate the literature and provide recommendations regarding macronutrient intake during both 'off-season' and 'pre-contest' phases. Body builders attempt to increase muscle mass during the off-season (no competitive events), which may be the great majority of the year. During the off-season, it is advantageous for the bodybuilder to be in positive energy balance so that extra energy is available for muscle anabolism. Additionally, during the off-season, adequate protein must be available to provide amino acids for protein synthesis. For 6-12 weeks prior to competition, body builders attempt to retain muscle mass and reduce body fat to very low levels. During the pre-contest phase, the bodybuilder should be in negative energy balance so that body fat can be oxidised. Furthermore, during the pre-contest phase, protein intake must be adequate to maintain muscle mass. There is evidence that a relatively high protein intake (approximately 30% of energy intake) will reduce lean mass loss relative to a lower protein intake (approximately 15% of energy intake) during energy restriction. The higher protein intake will also provide a relatively large thermic effect that may aid in reducing body fat. In both the off-season and pre-contest phases, adequate dietary carbohydrate should be ingested (55-60% of total energy intake) so that training intensity can be maintained. Excess dietary saturated fat can exacerbate coronary artery disease; however, low-fat diets result in a reduction in circulating testosterone. Thus, we suggest dietary fats comprise 15-20% of the body builders' off-season and pre-contest diets.Consumption of protein/amino acids and carbohydrate immediately before and after training sessions may augment protein synthesis, muscle glycogen resynthesis and reduce protein degradation. The optimal rate of carbohydrate ingested immediately after a training session should be 1.2 g/kg/hour at 30-minute intervals for 4 hours and the carbohydrate should be of high glycaemic index. In summary, the composition of diets for body builders should be 55-60% carbohydrate, 25-30% protein and 15-20% of fat, for both the off-season and pre-contest phases. During the off-season the diet should be slightly hyperenergetic (approximately 15% increase in energy intake) and during the pre-contest phase the diet should be hypoenergetic (approximately 15% decrease in energy intake).

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh your nutrition teacher is not going to like this haha. I did the same thing when I took my college course for nutrition and we got into some heated discussions. That being said, more than happy to help brett.

A bodybuilders diet has two phases, off-season (bulking) and pre-contest (cutting). Lets discuss the bulking phase first.
The bulking phase for a bodybuilders will consist of very high calories. Personally, my calories are between 5,000 and 6,000 in the off-season. The percentages of macronutrients are pretty much the same as what is recommended. A bodybuilder can reach there protein needs at 20% of there total calories because calories are so high. Carbohydrates will need to be very high because of the intense workouts that bodybuilders take on. In addition to this, bodybuilders tend to have more muscle so they are able to store more carbohydrates in the form of glycogen. 60% of total calories is typical for me on carbohydrates. As far as fat goes, it is a great macro while bulking. It helps with energy and testosterone levels as a bodybuilder attempts to build mass during the bulking phase. 20% of total calories is usually sufficient in the off-season here. At times I will change it up and do more of a 25% protein, 50% carbohydrates, and 25% fat but that is only if I am craving more red meat. 5-8 meals a day is typical for a bulking phase.

As far as the cutting phase is concerned, everything changes a bit. Macro percentages will start about the same as mentioned above but this can become a problem for protein requirements as calories must drop in order to decrease body fat. Obviously there are phases that slowly change the percentages over the weeks, but I will discuss the final weeks before a show. Protein must remain high (in regards to total percent) because workouts are still intense and muscle mass is still high so the body needs the nutrient to continue to maintain and repair tissue. My overall percentage is around 40-50% of total calories. Carbohydrates should never be cut completely but must be lowered, as they are the only realistic nutrient to lower when calories must decrease. They are still important for muscle sparing benefits however, they decrease to a total of 30-40% of total calories. Fat is still a very important nutrient for hormone regulation. The types of fat will change as we prefer mono and poly-unsaturated fats as they are less likely to be stored as fat compared to saturated fats. Total percentage is around 20% and never lower. Typically frequency of meals will increase during the cutting phase to keep amino acids rolling in and prevent muscle breakdown so the meals fall between 6 and 9 typically.

Every bodybuilder has a different approach. There are always going to be the extremes on either end of the bell curve and they give bodybuilding a bad rep. The plan I have mentioned makes sense and allows you to receive necessary macros. Hope that helps!

As far as supplements, a multivitamin is always used while cutting because it is nutrients without the calories. While in caloric deficit and exercising intensely, it is safe to say that you are deprived over time of nutrients. A multi-vitamin/mineral supplement with an advanced nutrient delivery system will help meet needs. A protein supplement is also helpful because it allows us to meet protein needs and is relatively high in amino acids and low in fat and carbohydrates. A protein shake once or maybe twice daily during a cutting phase can help supplement the nutritional program and meet the high protein needs.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here is the study....

Honestly, go with the guidelines by this paper. Most sports nutrition profs don't like the "typical" bodybuilding diet, especially 400+ grams of protein a day and such. If this is published in a peer reviewed journal, it would make your paper much more credible.

http://rapidshare.de/files/48098650/macronurtient_bbing.PDF.html

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What type of supplement usage are you asking about? Also, when you say body builder, do you mean a person who's goal is really bodybuilding or just someone in the gym? You could always talk about the steroid,thyroid, growth hormone, side of supplements.

B

bvonrod

First off, let me say thanks for all your guys input. Maybe I can be more specific with what I was looking for. The idea of the assignment is to compare a bodybuilding/strength athlete's diet and supplementation with an endurance athlete's diet and choice of supplements. So, along with the macro percentages and such, perhaps a small cross-section of some of the particular (favorite) foods used to accomplish your needs. And yes, the assignment is for a Professional Bodybuilder, so I'm guessing that means one who competes. And since my course is for Nutrition, I believe when talking about supplements, they're speaking of the normal whey, creatine, BCAA's, mult-vitamins and such. I'm new to the messageboard thing, so forgive me for not being able to answer to each of you individually. Thanks again for the help!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Proteins:
Skinless/boneless chicken breast (grilled or baked)
Lean cuts of beef or ground beef
Turkey
Low fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Fish (tuna, tilapia, salmon, halibut etc.)

Carbohydrates:
Rice
Oats
pastas
whole wheat bread
Fresh fruit

Fats:
Almonds
Olive oil
Peanuts
Peanut butter
Fish oil/Flax seeds (oil)

When shopping, I look for proteins that are relatively low in cholesterol and saturated fat. This is very difficult to find and especially at a decent price but it becomes more and more important during a cutting phase and when looking at heart health. I always look for carbohydrates that are low in refined sugars and are complex in nature. I look for fats that are mainly poly and mono unsaturated. Hope that helps.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First off, let me say thanks for all your guys input. Maybe I can be more specific with what I was looking for. The idea of the assignment is to compare a bodybuilding/strength athlete's diet and supplementation with an endurance athlete's diet and choice of supplements. So, along with the macro percentages and such, perhaps a small cross-section of some of the particular (favorite) foods used to accomplish your needs. And yes, the assignment is for a Professional Bodybuilder, so I'm guessing that means one who competes. And since my course is for Nutrition, I believe when talking about supplements, they're speaking of the normal whey, creatine, BCAA's, mult-vitamins and such. I'm new to the messageboard thing, so forgive me for not being able to answer to each of you individually. Thanks again for the help!

Use these for endurance athletic nutrition.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18049981
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12806217

I am telling you, as someone who has dealt with this before, seen it happen many times, generally, most "nutrition" professors tend to "turn their noses up" at the typical bodybuilder and athlete type diets. Right or wrong, they are your professor, and there is nothing for you to gain if you were to argue with them (ie, many bodybuilders will argue in favor of 400+g a day diets, and so on). This just pisses them off, and the only one who will lose out is you when you get your grade back.

You will get the best grade if you cite your statements with scientific research published in a peer reviewed journal.