• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Phil Heath - 2009 Mr. Olympia Fifth Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

I've seen a number of predictions for the 2009 Olympia that place Dexter, Jay, Kai, and Victor as low as fourth or fifth place. These four guys share a few things in common: they have all won the Arnold, placed as high as second in the O (except for Kai, who is making his debut), and have not been beaten by Phil Heath (again, except Kai, at the '08 Arnold). Many predictions show Phil winning or at least placing in the top three.

So, my question is - if all five show up at their best (Dexter - '08 Mr. 0, Jay - '06 Mr. O, Kai - '09 Arnold, Victor - '07 Mr. O, Phil - '08 Mr. O), plus whatever improvements they have made since then, will Phil have improved enough to overtake these guys? Or will he place lower than last year with Kai and Victor added to the mix?

IMO - Phil is more than capable of winning the whole show, but will have a difficulty standing next to guys who are bigger but just as complete.

ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good point.

i think Phil has made the improvements necessary to win the show. He can easely hold his own against Dexter and Vic in size, and i think he has a more complete package than the bigger guys such as Jay, Kai and Wolf. but the field is really close this year and the winner is going to be in the shape of his life to go all the way.

P

Pain

VIP
Good post.

Its going to be an interesting show. Maybe one of the best Olympia's in recent years with the current line up.

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
doesn't matter how good any of these guy's going to look, Phil will be in the top 2 for sure !!!

and imho i think he's going to win the Olympia this year :thumbsup2:

philheath96.jpg

Q

quorom

If Phil's comes in with his great conditioning and the way he's been improving from show to show I think he'll easily outshine anyone in the line-up. That being said, there are so many great contenders this year, it's gonna be awesome. Now if I can just get the wife to stop calling me gay for wanting to watch the Olympia....

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
I'll play Devil's Advocate...
IMO - Phil is more than capable of winning the whole show, but will have a difficulty standing next to guys who are bigger but just as complete.
I don't necessarily agree with the assessment but Phil arguably had the best physique on stage last year though, being an Olympia rookie, he wasn't going to win -- that's not how the sport works. The real question is, now that he's established himself can Phil win the Olympia; not where he'll place amongst the top five (which is irrelevant anyway). His career is still really just getting started, especially in comparison to those he's being compared to.

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Now if I can just get the wife to stop calling me gay for wanting to watch the Olympia....

don't worry about your wife !!!
the Olympia is not gay :no:

90% of women are messed up in the head bro :coolguy:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
doesn't matter how good any of these guy's going to look, Phil will be in the top 2 for sure !!!

and imho i think he's going to win the Olympia this year :thumbsup2:

Good Logic..... :umwtf:

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
no need for a source bro !!

i know this from personal experiences :coolguy:
You can either stop being dumb or stop posting. If you're going to act misogynistic you can at least make a good joke of it and, no, this is not an invitation to make a joke in this thread.

:soapbox:

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Now if I can just get the wife to stop calling me gay for wanting to watch the Olympia....

LMAO that sux bro. I hate it when the bitchez dont get bodybuilding and why we like it. They call Bodybuilding gay but not mma.... I would rather look at genetic freaks on stage while they are living proof of how big humans can get than to have someones crotch rubbing against my taint/gooch

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Homophobia is homophobia, dummies, and it doesn't matter where you find gay implications, as it all stems from uninformed perspectivism. Try to keep discussion relevant.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
top 3, but i do hope he wins.

H

hook3

i think he is the best bodybuilder in the world i dont think anyone can touch him the way he is looking now

RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

the winner is going to be in the shape of his life to go all the way.

I agree completely. The past couple years, the Arnold has been a pretty good indicator of who has the most momentum going into the Olympia. Victor was the best bodybuilder in 2007 - won the Arnold and easily could have won the Olympia. Dexter in 2008. I have a feeling that the guy who is going to be in the shape of his life is Kai.

RealDeal2099

RealDeal2099

I don't necessarily agree with the assessment but Phil arguably had the best physique on stage last year though, being an Olympia rookie, he wasn't going to win -- that's not how the sport works. The real question is, now that he's established himself can Phil win the Olympia; not where he'll place amongst the top five (which is irrelevant anyway). His career is still really just getting started, especially in comparison to those he's being compared to.

Very true, a lot of people thought Phil should have won last year. Jay's career took off after a top placing at the Olympia (2001), afterwhich he went on to win the Arnold three consecutive times. No reason Phil couldn't do the same thing. An Olympia win would be icing on the cake.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree completely. The past couple years, the Arnold has been a pretty good indicator of who has the most momentum going into the Olympia. Victor was the best bodybuilder in 2007 - won the Arnold and easily could have won the Olympia. Dexter in 2008. I have a feeling that the guy who is going to be in the shape of his life is Kai.

good point. i could actually see phil slipping to fifth but i doubt it.
this is going to be the most competitive olympia ever imo.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I look at it in a different light. The contenders showing up in their best condition ever...... for guys that have showed a drop off or inconsistency in form to be their best ever is not something you'd have good odds on with a bookie.

Athlete by athlete:
Jay - played the size game and after about 5yrs was actually recognised for the year he was the better against Coleman (he wasn't his best the year he won, it was several years previous). Has massive imbalances and unless he can hide them with his posing will battle to be top 5. Hide them though and he will do better than he deserves. And I'm sick of the "you can't see the imbalances" BS, go and get your eyes checked :borat:

Dexter - finally was recognised after being a clear champ several years earlier. His win was also a drastic change away from over a decade (close to 2 decades) of rewarding the mass monsters. This move would not have been taken lightly and shows a change in what the judges are looking for. Dex wasn't at his best last year, but he has made some improvements and when has he not shown up with terrific conditioning. I can't see him lower than third and is a good chance for a second win.

Kai - IMO is the most average of the list of potential winners. I don't think he has aesthetic proportions, his lauded posing routines belong in a strip club and finally his Arnold win is being over-quoted. His nearest competitor was coming off major surgery, the next was a 202 competitor and the other has an unfortuneate pec tear, how is this a decisive win? The biggest point that people fail to take on board is the disrepute that he will bring to the sport from the wider community with his G4P videos. It is a massive skeleton in his closet that will always hold him back from being held up as the BBing O Champ.

Victor - lacks legs. Enough said. He has made improvements in his legs in only a few months since the AC. Give him another month or so and he could have a very complete package. Or he could show up only "improved" since the AC, which isn't enough to win the O against Dex or Phil or Jay for that matter. It should be enough to beat Kai however.

Phil - looked to have won the O last year. He has improved since last year. His conditioning will be key to beating Dex, as well as maintaining his lines. His guest posing against Dex and Jay he looked to have a better package than both, and looked to carry enough mass to eclipse guys actually bigger than him. The biggest concern is what he brings on stage and whether his arms have become too big for his chest. IMO he is this years winner, but he has to beat Dex who is possibly one of the most consistent contenders.

chadcruz

chadcruz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I look at it in a different light. The contenders showing up in their best condition ever...... for guys that have showed a drop off or inconsistency in form to be their best ever is not something you'd have good odds on with a bookie.

Athlete by athlete:
Jay - played the size game and after about 5yrs was actually recognised for the year he was the better against Coleman (he wasn't his best the year he won, it was several years previous). Has massive imbalances and unless he can hide them with his posing will battle to be top 5. Hide them though and he will do better than he deserves. And I'm sick of the "you can't see the imbalances" BS, go and get your eyes checked :borat:

Dexter - finally was recognised after being a clear champ several years earlier. His win was also a drastic change away from over a decade (close to 2 decades) of rewarding the mass monsters. This move would not have been taken lightly and shows a change in what the judges are looking for. Dex wasn't at his best last year, but he has made some improvements and when has he not shown up with terrific conditioning. I can't see him lower than third and is a good chance for a second win.

Kai - IMO is the most average of the list of potential winners. I don't think he has aesthetic proportions, his lauded posing routines belong in a strip club and finally his Arnold win is being over-quoted. His nearest competitor was coming off major surgery, the next was a 202 competitor and the other has an unfortuneate pec tear, how is this a decisive win? The biggest point that people fail to take on board is the disrepute that he will bring to the sport from the wider community with his G4P videos. It is a massive skeleton in his closet that will always hold him back from being held up as the BBing O Champ.

Victor - lacks legs. Enough said. He has made improvements in his legs in only a few months since the AC. Give him another month or so and he could have a very complete package. Or he could show up only "improved" since the AC, which isn't enough to win the O against Dex or Phil or Jay for that matter. It should be enough to beat Kai however.

Phil - looked to have won the O last year. He has improved since last year. His conditioning will be key to beating Dex, as well as maintaining his lines. His guest posing against Dex and Jay he looked to have a better package than both, and looked to carry enough mass to eclipse guys actually bigger than him. The biggest concern is what he brings on stage and whether his arms have become too big for his chest. IMO he is this years winner, but he has to beat Dex who is possibly one of the most consistent contenders.

Very interesting points. I agree with most of what you've said. Where do you see Dennis Wolf? just behind this main group? I think he definitely has the potential to be right up there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.