• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

need help!!

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

need help, trainning advice...!!

hello evryone...
i m not exactly new to trainning,
but now, i hav to workout at home...nd i have access to sum dumbells and a small 4 feet barbell..

but not a lot of weight....especially fr the barbell...

now i have two problems...

1-> i can't do my regular military press..cause the barbell i m using now is very small..as compared to the barbell in the gym..

so my shoulder workout is composed of mainly

5*12-8 (50 pound) dumbells
5*10-8 (80 pound) barbell upright row
5*10-6 (20-25 pound) lateral raise
3*8 bent over lateral raise

however, sum ppl(with better physiques than me)i knw have shown serious critisim to this schedule...

they say that such a schedule would make my muscles hard but won't produce any growth..

plz give me the ur expert advices...

quiet frankly i think they work for me...but still if i m doing anythin wrong plz feel free to advice...

2-> i love doin close grip barbell press for triceps, with pretty heavy weight...
which allows me to do only about 5-6 reps..

normally i do bout 4-5 sets of these...

cn i do more sets to compensate for the low reps...

also..
if low reps(<=7) build strength....can i do drop sets along with it to produce the necessary muscle gain..

i mean..
if say i cn do only 5 reps with the 45 pound dumbell...if i drop the weight to 35 and do about 6 more reps...i know they really make my muscles pump up...and feel the burn...

but is this actually going to make me grow...or m i using the long way around...

i do this drop set approach on a lot of exercises for diffrent body parts ...please do inform me if you think there is a better way to do this...

thanx a lot...fr ur help in advance..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A small BB shouldn't be an issue. A standard grip for a shoulder press is only just a bit wider than shoulder width, so unless you are huge then you should be able to do shoulder presses.

Other options are:

DB shoulder presses - I think these are superior anyway.

One at a time DB shoulder press - you have to use less weight as you don't have the 2nd dumbbell to balance you out.

Handstand pushups - when you just don't have the facilities.

Do everything standing - harder.

Next point: lose the upright rows, they don't do much of anything anyway. As long as you are having to do cleans to get the barbell to your shoulder, deadlifts, etc then they are a waste.

Next point: the pump and the burn have nothing to do with growth.

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

A small BB shouldn't be an issue. A standard grip for a shoulder press is only just a bit wider than shoulder width, so unless you are huge then you should be able to do shoulder presses.

Other options are:

One at a time DB shoulder press - you have to use less weight as you don't have the 2nd dumbbell to balance you out.

Next point: lose the upright rows, they don't do much of anything anyway. As long as you are having to do cleans to get the barbell to your shoulder, deadlifts, etc then they are a waste.

thanx a lot....

actually i find the dumbell presses superior too ..

also number of dumbells is not a question...i got 4 dumbells to put weight and enuf weight to make the dumbells challenging ...

i just wanted to know if i should do more barbells work...

and i'll tak ur advice ditch the upright row...and do clean and press i guess..

early in my shoulder workout..

MaxSteel

MaxSteel

Other options are:

thanx a lot....

actually i find the dumbell presses superior too ..

also number of dumbells(2nd dumbell) is not a question...i got 4 dumbells to put weight on and enuf weight(10 pound plates, 10*12 to be precise) to make the dumbells challenging ...

i just wanted to know if i should do more barbells work...

and i'll tak ur advice ditch the upright row...and do clean and press i guess..

early in my shoulder workout..