• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Contests bodybuilders were robbed of their deserving Win or Given a Gift of 1st

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
As the thread title states,
what year & contest were bodybuilders robbed of their deserving win or given a gift

2009 - Tampa Pro show
Dennis James - 1st place was a free gift to him

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Of course, the 1980 and 1981 Olympias!

I think Mike Mentzer should have one in the 1980 Olympia, and Tom Platz should have won the 1981 Olympia.

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kevin Levrone should've won the 2002 Mr Olympia, he brought a better package to the stage than Coleman did that year.

Last edited by a moderator:
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Of course, the 1980 and 1981 Olympias!

I think Mike Mentzer should have one in the 1980 Olympia, and Tom Platz should have won the 1981 Olympia.

I actually disagree. Mike Mentzer was nowhere near as good as people thought. If you watch the footage he looked maybe top 3 but that is it.

Now when I say thought, it is the controversy that was stirred up by Mentzer after the event. Most people would have just thought 'Yep Arnie won again', but Mentzer went around bleating that he had been robbed for the next 15yrs and people believed it.

Arnie wasn't at his best, but he was still in better condition and had more size than his nearest rivals. And Mentzer also had the thickest waist on stage, back then that was a no-no.

Tom Platz is a line call. He was good enough to win but I think that the judges liked Franco's physique more than Platz's which was a heavier build.

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ If we look ONLY at upper body, it was close, but if we look at the complete package, Ronnie won hands down.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ If they where in wheelchair then yes.. maybe it would be close.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
smcfay

smcfay

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Man i think i kind of agree with you.... BUT Ronnie's conditioning and back is INSANE, and he killed it with that split :rofl3:

L

lorri_01

ronnie looks kinda soft at the 2002 take a peek at 2001 now thats some form.

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Kevin was no way near Coleman at that show.

I was at that show, Levrone's legs were way off, 2nd was a gift in my opinion, the man that should have won the 2002 O was Gunter, nobody could stand next to him that day and that is no joke - in person he owned that show.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Olympia 2002.

Kevin should have placed 6th IMO.

30x9au0 1

2uh645y 1

Johnny5

Johnny5

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I actually disagree. Mike Mentzer was nowhere near as good as people thought. If you watch the footage he looked maybe top 3 but that is it.

Now when I say thought, it is the controversy that was stirred up by Mentzer after the event. Most people would have just thought 'Yep Arnie won again', but Mentzer went around bleating that he had been robbed for the next 15yrs and people believed it.

Arnie wasn't at his best, but he was still in better condition and had more size than his nearest rivals. And Mentzer also had the thickest waist on stage, back then that was a no-no.

Tom Platz is a line call. He was good enough to win but I think that the judges liked Franco's physique more than Platz's which was a heavier build.

It wasn't only Mentzer who felt betrayed about the outcome of the Olympia, Frank Zane protested as well thus skipping the 1981 Olympia. Even if Arnold did look better on stage, he shouldn't even have been there! It wasn't fair at all for the competitors.

I think in 1981 Francos' lower half of the body was off. Check out this picture with Danny Padilla.

DanFranco81.jpg

Too bad Tom Platz wasn't in there for a comparison, but you know where I'm getting at!

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Mr O in 1993, Flex Wheeler should've won from Dorian Yates.

:iorofl: Yeh right!

From Flex wheeler after the Olympia- "I couldn't have handled Dorian today. He was a mule in shape."

I agree with johhny. Arnold shouldn't have won the 1980 Olympia, Mentzer should have.

And yes, maybe Tom platz should have won the 81 O.

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It wasn't only Mentzer who felt betrayed about the outcome of the Olympia, Frank Zane protested as well thus skipping the 1981 Olympia. Even if Arnold did look better on stage, he shouldn't even have been there! It wasn't fair at all for the competitors.

I think in 1981 Francos' lower half of the body was off. Check out this picture with Danny Padilla.

DanFranco81-1.jpg

Too bad Tom Platz wasn't in there for a comparison, but you know where I'm getting at!

padilla should have won the 81 O

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
and then there are still people who believe Levrone didn't have a weak back!

nigster

nigster

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Platz was NEVER good enough to take the big one.

Flex came in close 1993 and 1998. 1998 could have gone either way.

Kevin wasn't complete enough to win at 2002. Ronnie was off too, small and soft.

1997 was Nasser all the way.